Where to ride...West of Austin edition- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Where to ride...West of Austin edition

I'll be in Johnson City this weekend from the Houston area and was looking at probably only one good ride. It's a toss up between Muleshoe, Madrone Trail at Canyon Lake or the newly discovered Lakeway trails.

I've hit Pace Bend and Remeirs Ranch already. So thoughts on what it should be or did I miss anything? Can't make it into Austin this go around

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I like Lakeway/Canyonland Trails more than Muleshoe, PB, and Reimers. My brother-in-law lives right next to the trail head so I always ride there when I visit (I'm in DFW). I've heard they have added more trail since the last time I've ridden it. I enjoy the long switch back climbs to the top (over 400 ft up?). Pace Bend and Muleshoe always a good time as well so they would be close 2nd for me. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Lakeway has the most sustained climbing in Central Texas. Good stuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Interesting...so little info or vids from there. Is there a lot of foot traffic there? It's looking like Sunday will be the chance I can ride, weather permitting

mtbr member
    May 2014
    The newer trails at Pedernales Falls are another great option. I hit them every few weekends and like them better than the others listed (PB is close second), with the exception of Lakeway which I somehow have yet to ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I agree...I did get to ride there last trip and had a blast. I'll do a light ride with the misses there too this go around. I'm thinking I'll give Lakeway a try.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    When I've ridden the Lakeway trail there has not been a lot of foot traffic. Here's a video I found of the main descent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyQcbfC1y00

I've not ridden the trails at Pedernales Falls but they are on my list for this spring/summer!

mtbr member
    If you are considering Lakeway...why not consider RPR. You can get to RPR from JC in a little bit more time than Lakeway. Not taking anything away from Lakeway, but RPR is much more scenic, varied and has loads more trail. It's down right as perfect an environment you will get for riding in CenTex.

As the crow flies Lakeway is a lot closer, but by car, maybe 10-15 min shorter than RPR. Then there is the plus that if we happen to get the rain in the forecast you can ride RPR regardless. No events are scheduled, so it should be open to ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the link.

RPR is most certainly high on the need to do list but I have to save it for another day unfortunately. Although if the weather doesn't cooperate then I may have to make an exception.

Either way it's always a blast getting to ride out that way and haven't been disappointed yet

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by KirkC View Post
    When I've ridden the Lakeway trail there has not been a lot of foot traffic. Here's a video I found of the main descent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyQcbfC1y00

I've not ridden the trails at Pedernales Falls but they are on my list for this spring/summer!
    That looks like a fun place. Is it correct that you park off Trophy drive and that's how you enter the trail system?

Please advise.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    That looks like a fun place. Is it correct that you park off Trophy drive and that's how you enter the trail system?

Please advise.
    Correct. Park on trophy across the field from the pool, next to the school. Look for the trail head near the huge high voltage power lines.
    Hamilton Greenbelt (the singletrack, not the granite path), 2 miles down the road is worth riding if you're already in the area.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Seriously...RPR over Lakeway. I live right around the corner from Lakeway and only ride it rarely because the lack of flow - same trail takes you up & down the hillside there. There is a back way around but it is unofficial and nothing spectacular. The other trails are good if you are local...but if you're driving the extra 30 min from Muleshoe then I think you should reconsider. Lakeway just doesn't flow for me - it is cut in a tight corridor and they've done the best they can with it.

Muleshoe is much more like the technical spots in Pace Bend. Not quite as much "easy" singletrack along the way but plenty of punch up & down climbs that have lots of rock and roots. Muleshoe is good if it gets some rain to pack it down but if it is too dry then the sand can really sap your momentum at times. Overall it has about as much flow as PB.

RPR has some good elevation, distinct rock formatins, the superD line, the flow trail, etc. Lots of XC and decent flow there too.

I've yet to ride Pedernales.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Have to agree with CZ. I'm not slamming Lakeway, but I agree, given the elevation it's a bit disappointing it doesn't flow so well. It would be nice to really be able to open up on the descents instead of brake jacking down the switch backs. That said, given the narrow corridor it was built well.

CZ, Pedernales is fun, but surprisingly "flat" considering the terrain out there. Charlie had to pretty much build at the same elevation point throughout. Lot of very short up/down along the same ridge. Some slow tech spots - tight and rocky, plenty of flow, overall very nice, but not very technical in general. You have to really look to see the drop ops out there. Worth the trip a couple times a year. The river is a huge bonus post ride.

Pedernales - 15 miles and only 570ft. https://www.strava.com/activities/344645821

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I don't know what you call this place (GB?) but I just started parking in the neighborhood of Travis Country off Southwest Pkwy at the dead end of a street called Serdero Trail. You enter the trail system and turn left, run behind the houses for about 100 boring yards and then it gets very interesting from there imo and just keeps going and going. That stuff is enough to keep me entertained for a long time yet.

I know some are fans of RPR but I'm not. It's super far, cost $10, has ton of thorns, and has mediocre terrain imo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    I don't know what you call this place (GB?) but I just started parking in the neighborhood of Travis Country off Southwest Pkwy at the dead end of a street called Serdero Trail. You enter the trail system and turn left, run behind the houses for about 100 boring yards and then it gets very interesting from there imo and just keeps going and going. That stuff is enough to keep me entertained for a long time yet.

I know some are fans of RPR but I'm not. It's super far, cost $10, has ton of thorns, and has mediocre terrain imo.
    That's Travis Country/Jedi et al.

Wow. Mediocre terrain? Not something I ever expected to hear about RPR. I have to wonder are you riding the "right" trails in the "right" direction...Even the Race Loop, which by far the tamest is fun and interesting.

Super D, Super D part 2, Iron Swan, Sweet Skull...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    As someone in central Austin rpr has 3 things going against it:

1. Long drive
    2. Paid trail
    3. *allegedly* good after rain, but I have ridden there too many times when they have said come on out, trails are great, only to find that the trails are hosed

I like rpr, but for some the benefits are outweighed by the negatives. For those in Williamson county, this is not a problem but for mid/south Austin, it's a roll of the dice.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike View Post
    As someone in central Austin rpr has 3 things going against it:

1. Long drive
    2. Paid trail
    3. *allegedly* good after rain, but I have ridden there too many times when they have said come on out, trails are great, only to find that the trails are hosed

I like rpr, but for some the benefits are outweighed by the negatives. For those in Williamson county, this is not a problem but for mid/south Austin, it's a roll of the dice.
    OP's question was based on his being in Johnson City...

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Muleshoe comments below

Hey. I was going to take my 13 year old to Muleshoe because everything i've read (except for your commentary below) has led me to think that Muleshoe would be an easier ride than Pace Bend, Lake Georgetown, even Walnut. I have been to PB and thought it was moderately difficult. So Muleshoe is like the technical parts at PB?

Thanks,
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    Seriously...RPR over Lakeway. I live right around the corner from Lakeway and only ride it rarely because the lack of flow - same trail takes you up & down the hillside there. There is a back way around but it is unofficial and nothing spectacular. The other trails are good if you are local...but if you're driving the extra 30 min from Muleshoe then I think you should reconsider. Lakeway just doesn't flow for me - it is cut in a tight corridor and they've done the best they can with it.

Muleshoe is much more like the technical spots in Pace Bend. Not quite as much "easy" singletrack along the way but plenty of punch up & down climbs that have lots of rock and roots. Muleshoe is good if it gets some rain to pack it down but if it is too dry then the sand can really sap your momentum at times. Overall it has about as much flow as PB.

RPR has some good elevation, distinct rock formatins, the superD line, the flow trail, etc. Lots of XC and decent flow there too.

I've yet to ride Pedernales.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    If you stick to the main loop, it is about the same technically as Walnut. A couple of the side loops are a bit more challenging, but not overly so. Loads of momentum sapping sand. But still fun to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by karmasoda View Post
    Hey. I was going to take my 13 year old to Muleshoe because everything i've read (except for your commentary below) has led me to think that Muleshoe would be an easier ride than Pace Bend, Lake Georgetown, even Walnut. I have been to PB and thought it was moderately difficult. So Muleshoe is like the technical parts at PB?

Thanks,
    Bryan
    Bryan,
    Sorry I just saw this today. Definitely hit PaceBend first, and read up on MrMentallo's comments below. If you follow the gold dot loop at Pace Bend, you'll get more flow/elevation and tech out of it - which might not be desirable just yet. Good luck out there!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by karmasoda View Post
    Hey. I was going to take my 13 year old to Muleshoe
    I happen to like taking beginners to Slaughter Creek Nature Preserve. one-way loop with one side trail. some climbing, a little chunk, but otherwise easy to master. not a "destination" trail but great for a lap or two if you're already on the south side.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    If Flat Creek is open, I would choose that trail for a ride.
    It's only a mile or 2 from the Perdernales Falls entrance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    My understanding is Flat Creek was only open for a couple races a year...is that still the case or was that ever the case?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    That used to be the case. They are now available for riding every day, but on days other than weekends you need to check with the trail manager.

AustinBike.com - Flat Creek Crossing now open every day!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Awesome to know, thanks for the heads up.

mtbr member
    Thanks AB! Is there a fee? Their website is down.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Fee is the normal fee, $10 per rider.