Where to ride in San Antonio- Mtbr.com
    CT3
    Hoodwink

Where to ride in San Antonio

Im going to visit san antonio this weekend, where is a good place to ride in the north west side close to fiesta. I was looking at op schnabel looks pretty good, anywhere else around that might be better.

Genius
    This is relevant to my interest as well. I will be just west of San Antonio in mid July and want to get some rides in.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    Are you looking for technical or not too much? You can check out this map to see what's around, then here to get more info on the trails, incl. reviews, photos, etc.
    Pedigre

Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedigre
    Are you looking for technical or not too much? You can check out this map to see what's around, then here to get more info on the trails, incl. reviews, photos, etc.
    Thanks Pedigre, I am coming from the southern Rocky Mountains in New Mexico so I am used to difficult trails. I have not ridden in Texas before so just looking for some fun and want to take in what the area has to offer.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm not a big fan of the inner city greenway stuff so I recommend Government Canyon.

If you can travel outside of San Antonio, I highly recommend Madrone at Canyon Lake or Flat Rock Ranch at Comfort TX.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Salado Creek and OP are both nice trails to ride. I haven't been out to government canyon yet, so I can't comment. Madrone Trail is awesome, but about 45 minutes north.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    For fun, Flat Rock will not disappoint. However, there is not much tree cover there so plan your summer ride accordingly....humidity is a b*tch.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    They are all, good government canyon has smooth sections in the "front country" and more tech stuff in the "back country". OP Schnabel has some great trails, some of the flow is gone due to recent construction, but this is easy to work around. Mac Alaster Park is riddled with trails and you can spend the day there doing trails that are level 1-2 with some level 3 in spots. MountianBikeTx.com has all this info and reviews

CT3
    Hoodwink
    ok sounds good looks like ive narrowed it down to OP and MacAllister both pretty close to where i will be thanks for the replies

mtbr member
    Anyone wanna ride Salado Creek ? Im down for it since I live 1/2 a mile from it ....

email me [email protected]

Jumper
    Hey PM me. Since moving to San Antonio in May, Salado Greenbelt is my type of trail; rocky rocky. When I start getting weekends off again, I will be hitting it every weekend.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    i'm planning on riding Government Canyon State Natural Area. thinking about warming up in the front country, shooting up to the top of Joe Johnston Route, south along Sendero Balcones, then back down Far Reaches and Recharge to the front country.

according to the review on MtbTX, that makes it an intermediate trail of reasonable length. my cousins will be with me so i think we'd be a beginner/intermediate group. we only have a few hours to spend at the park, and want to make the best out of it. any other changes/suggestions?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexrex20
    i'm planning on riding Government Canyon State Natural Area. thinking about warming up in the front country, shooting up to the top of Joe Johnston Route, south along Sendero Balcones, then back down Far Reaches and Recharge to the front country.

according to the review on MtbTX, that makes it an intermediate trail of reasonable length. my cousins will be with me so i think we'd be a beginner/intermediate group. we only have a few hours to spend at the park, and want to make the best out of it. any other changes/suggestions?
    Government Canyon got pretty eaten up with the flooding we had earlier this summer. If you don't already have a state park pass, you'll have to pay the day fee to ride. The course you mention is good, quick and dirty. I typically varry this ride by climbing JJ up to the second Carolines loop, take that and ride it south back to JJ go south (rt on JJ) and take a left on twin oaks, follow twin oaks to the top, hang a right on Sendero take that to a left on far reaches back down to the lower loop. That will give you a taste of what's *legally* best in the park IMO.

If you can break away a little earlier, skip GC and dirve 15 minutes north to Flat Rock Ranch.... tons of fun, and well marked trail. Private land, so you'll still have to pay a day fee, but much better trail IMO.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I would recommend a drive to Hill Country State Natural Area also dealing with the Horse riders slows things down a little but still a great ride. Super hot in the summer though some trails have no shade.

mtbr member
    O.P. Schnabel, Government Canyon, Tapatio, Rocky Hill Ranch, Mac Allister Park. There are lots of choices for MTB riding in San Antonio. Enjoy.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    Government Canyon got pretty eaten up with the flooding we had earlier this summer. If you don't already have a state park pass, you'll have to pay the day fee to ride. The course you mention is good, quick and dirty. I typically varry this ride by climbing JJ up to the second Carolines loop, take that and ride it south back to JJ go south (rt on JJ) and take a left on twin oaks, follow twin oaks to the top, hang a right on Sendero take that to a left on far reaches back down to the lower loop. That will give you a taste of what's *legally* best in the park IMO.

If you can break away a little earlier, skip GC and dirve 15 minutes north to Flat Rock Ranch.... tons of fun, and well marked trail. Private land, so you'll still have to pay a day fee, but much better trail IMO.

thanks for the tip! if my cousins are willing to make the drive, i would like to try Flat Rock Ranch instead. it also seems to get better reviews than Gov't Canyon.

mtbr member
    thanks for the tip! if my cousins are willing to make the drive, i would like to try Flat Rock Ranch instead. it also seems to get better reviews than Gov't Canyon.

Well worth the drive. If you go after work on friday you can camp on the land (like $5 more?) and get up and ride all day long. Or ride, go to town get some food, or bring a cooler and make a day of it. The upper and lower loops are sweet and will give you an all day ride if you choose. You can also throw in the 6 hour course if the markers are still out for an additional option. I'd make a day of it, get there early, bring a lot more water than you think you'll need, bring some food and enjoy. It's well worth the drive IMO.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    If you have a limited time to ride in SA I would go to Flat Rock Ranch first, best in the area for sure. MacAllister and OP are fun too.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    i have one more kinda important question...

i want to bring my dirt jump bike. i don't run a front brake. i ride it on the trails here in houston, but it's pretty damn flat here. what does everyone think about riding rear brake only at Gov't Canyon or Flat Rock Ranch? i can deal with standing the entire ride, but i have no idea how downhilly the "downhills" really are...

meh
    wow, that doesnt sound like a great idea as the bike to bring...gonna be way different than houston
    maybe you meant bring it as well?
    Last edited by clewttu; 08-19-2010 at 12:01 PM.

Genius

i want to bring my dirt jump bike. i don't run a front brake. i ride it on the trails here in houston, but it's pretty damn flat here. what does everyone think about riding rear brake only at Gov't Canyon or Flat Rock Ranch? i can deal with standing the entire ride, but i have no idea how downhilly the "downhills" really are...

In Flat Rock I did the Upper Loop. Rear brake only would suffice on the short downhills there in my estimation. There was really only one section named "Daytona" that is worthy of being called downhill. There were a couple of banked turns you might enjoy in that section but its over pretty quick.

Meh

Would definetely not recommend riding Government Canyon w/ a rear brake only. The trails are quite rocky to begin with and the last flood out there really tore it up meaning lots of loose babyhead rocks that slide and break loose as you ride over them. I think you would have a lot of trouble controlling your bike there as you would be sliding on the loose rocks without a front break to decrease speed. Yeah you need to be wary of hikers on the trails also.

mtbr member
    I have done some single track at Salado and McAllister, would my entry-level hardtrail bike hold up at Gov Canyon? (rated intermediate-advanced on singletracks.com)

Im a newbie so also dont want to get in over my head. Some users have commented that Gov Canyon is not advanced. How technical is it? Should I gain my confidence on the beginner trails such as Saldo and McAllister before heading to Gov Canyon? Or are the reviewers on singletracks correct about Gov Canyon being fairly simple.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 4MooreFitness
    I have done some single track at Salado and McAllister, would my entry-level hardtrail bike hold up at Gov Canyon? (rated intermediate-advanced on singletracks.com)

Im a newbie so also dont want to get in over my head. Some users have commented that Gov Canyon is not advanced. How technical is it? Should I gain my confidence on the beginner trails such as Saldo and McAllister before heading to Gov Canyon? Or are the reviewers on singletracks correct about Gov Canyon being fairly simple.
    You will be fine on the Front Country which is two loops for a total of about 7 to 8 miles.
    The Backcountry on the other hand is the hardest trail I've ridden in the San Antonio area. Its the combination of the climbing and the rocks that take their toll. I personally can't ride the trails without a full suspension, I've tried it twice on my hardtail and took a beating. Other people seem to manage though.
    If you do try the backcountry make sure to follow a suggested route, going in the harder direction on some of the trails can be brutal.

mtbr member
    Thanks Fahkinae

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu
    wow, that doesnt sound like a great idea as the bike to bring...gonna be way different than houston
    maybe you meant bring it as well?
    ya, i wanted to bring it in addition to one of my hardtails. i don't have any FS bikes, so i was going to bring my DJ bike and my 26in singlespeed. i run them both at 32/15 gearing, though i might change to a 16t or 18t cog for the climbs.

meh
    haha, was gonna say, that DJer is gonna kill you out there

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    i'd like to still bring it. i'm not bad on the XC trails with my DJ bike, but then again i'm pretty naive because i haven't ridden much outside of Houston, i.e. the only kind of hills i ride up or down are paved and leading to my garage.

mtbr member
    If you are a newbie, I would be careful when riding Government Canyon. As previously mentioned, the front trail is pretty easy as it is mostly flat. But any of the back trail sections are for experienced riders. There are some pretty good technical climbs and decents, and if you are not careful you can get hurt easily. I would not recommend Government Canyon for a newbie ride.

mtbr member
    Thanks RoadRunner1. I'll stick to the trails I know for now. Maybe when I come out next summer I'll be ready for Gov Canyon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I wouldn't mind riding Government Canyon again soon. The front country is real tame like was already said. I have seen people with department store bikes on the Front Country. Last time I was there I made it about 2.3 miles down JJ and was too tired to go any further (that was after 2 laps around LL.)

cfx
    mtbr member
    If you want to actually hit some pump/jump track .. check out OP Schnabel park. There is a nice section there.

http://www.sanantonio.gov/sapar/schn...=1680&ver=true

C..
    The amount of intelligence on the planet is finite .. the population keeps growing ..

mtbr member
    I have a trek skye Im assuming its not much better than a department store bike? Compared to the "serious" mtbs yall have

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    an MTB is an MTB. i've seen people on $100 department store bikes absolutely burn people on $4000 bikes. my bike (saddle so low you literally can't sit on it, and only a rear brake) is arguably a worse decision to ride on the trail than your Trek, but i'm going to bring it out there anyway. so i say go out there and have fun, and be safe.

mtbr member
    ha! I just dont want to go down a trail and have the bike fall apart underneath me like I hear about those "department" store bikes littering the trail with parts that flew off.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have ridden gov canyon in my hardtail gt avalanche weights about 34 lbs just fine but that being said climbs are difficult you need to be in good shape or just take a lot of breaks down sections can be tech in backcountry but you can choose to wake the hard parts but those are the fun ones thats what makes going up worth it!
    Life is One Got Out And Live It!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Front country of gov't is very easy

mtbr member
    Did Salado this weekend. We went all the way past Heubner ...then we had some derailer issues .... Then I blew up my Kenda Nevegal....

We are going again this weekend....Tires are on their way ...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pebblehoppertj
    We are going again this weekend....Tires are on their way ...
    When? If you go Sunday I may in the area and wouldn't mind trying a new area.

mtbr member
    Ii will post up here tomorrow morn if we go........ its raining

mtbr member
    Anyone wanna get together and ride this Sunday ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I am up for a ride this weather is too nice to sit here in Corpus and do nothing.

mtbr member
    A little off topic. I might be moving down to San Antonio in the next few months and would like to get a feel for the town/scene. I got to spend a day downtown after a day of interviewing but didn't get much a feel to say the least. I'm fresh out of college so a night life and things to do are important to me. Needless to say I ride quite a bit and live an outdoor lifestyle. Any opinions or advice (good neighborhoods etc) would be appreciated.
    MR

Members who have read this thread: 0