Where to ride in Austin- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Where to ride in Austin

I'll be in Austin in aug for a couple of weekends and would like to hit some local trails. I am from the Houston area and was wondering what are some spots that are must rides while I'm down there. I would consider my skill level to be intermediate and am rocking a '09 Titus FTM
    Mountain biking never gets easier... You just get faster

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Check out http://www.austinbike.com/index.asp - the site has a good listing and description of the main trails.

I really enjoy the Barton Creek Greenbelt. It's easy to get to and has a good variety of easy/medium/harder stuff. If you start at the Zilker park trailhead, it's about 7.5 miles to the end of the trail (and the Hill of Life) so a total of 15 mile ride. If it gets too hot for ya, you can stop and take a dip in one of the several pools.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

mtbr member
    Must rides? Barton Creek is usually the first thing most people think of and recommend when it comes to Austin. Walnut Creek is a faster ride more closely resembling what you would be used to. Pace Bend Park and Muleshoe are a little west of Austin, but nice rides, nonetheless, particularly PB. Plenty to choose from whichever direction you go.

hermunn123 already threw out the best choices for info, but you can also check out our map to see what's around and how to get there.

Btw, how far outside of Austin would you want to go?
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Post up on AustinVodoo on the BikeMojo forums. Somebody will show you around. Make sure you are honest with your riding ability. Otherwise it can be a long miserable ride. But there are people of all levels that will ride with you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Good stuff. I was just curious about the same thing since I'm moving back to Houston from SW Colorado at the end of the month. Austin is fairly close and seems to have the more difficult and technical trails which is what I'm used to.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedigre
    Must rides? Barton Creek is usually the first thing most people think of and recommend when it comes to Austin. Walnut Creek is a faster ride more closely resembling what you would be used to. Pace Bend Park and Muleshoe are a little west of Austin, but nice rides, nonetheless, particularly PB. Plenty to choose from whichever direction you go.

hermunn123 already threw out the best choices for info, but you can also check out our map to see what's around and how to get there.

Btw, how far outside of Austin would you want to go?
    Well I'm already coming from Houston so I'm not looking to go too much further out. But will def be hitting up bluff creek ranch to/from also. Haven't ridden it yet so should be interesting.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    check out ...http://www.austinridgeriders.com/trails.htm

My favorite trails are the Goodwater trail around lake Georgetown and Rocky hill ranch in Bastrop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuey83
    Well I'm already coming from Houston so I'm not looking to go too much further out. But will def be hitting up bluff creek ranch to/from also. Haven't ridden it yet so should be interesting.
    Have you rode Rocky Hill Ranch?
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I will be taking a group out on the greenbelt tomorrow. 8:30 start from the loop 360 entrance:

http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/showth...8-30-start-360
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    A 20-mile ride? That sounds intriguing... too bad I have plans in SA or I might have joined you on that one. :-/

Curious as to what route you'll be taking starting from the 360 entrance...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    You'd have to come along with us to find out

We did 18 today, mechanicals kept us from doing the full route.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Pedigre
    Have you rode Rocky Hill Ranch?
    Haven't ridden it yet either but have seen it on out ghorba website. Will definitely be hitting up that one as well!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuey83
    Haven't ridden it yet either but have seen it on out ghorba website. Will definitely be hitting up that one as well!
    good call, maybe hit BCR on the way up and RHR on the way back.
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I am from Denver and will be in Austin for vacation with family and I am really hoping to ride. I grew up in Austin but never got to ride before I moved to Colorado, so I know the riding is supposed to be great. I am curious about how the trails in Austin compare to what I am used to riding in Colorado. I typically ride intermediate to advanced trails in CO and I am wondering what trails I should ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Compared to Colorado, we don't have mountains, we have hills. Our trails have short climbs that make up for the length by being steep (in spots) with rock ledges and roots. If you are looking for long climbs and descents, you may be disappointed. If you are looking for fun rides with some technical spots - you should have a good time.

I recommend you look at www.AustinBike.com and pick your rides from there. My favorites are: Rocky Hill Ranch, Pace Bend, Barton Creek Green Belt, and City Park. Someone to show you around all of them will help, but you really need a guide for the Green Belt.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryA08
    I am from Denver and will be in Austin for vacation with family and I am really hoping to ride. I grew up in Austin but never got to ride before I moved to Colorado, so I know the riding is supposed to be great. I am curious about how the trails in Austin compare to what I am used to riding in Colorado. I typically ride intermediate to advanced trails in CO and I am wondering what trails I should ride.
    If I am in town I can give you a greenbelt tour. 15-20 miles of riding. PM me and let me know when you will be here. I have an extra bike (a hard tail) if you don't have one that you are bringing or you can rent a full suspension (recommended) at bicycle sport shop.

youtube.com/quik564
    Apr 2008
    How tough/enjoyable is City Park really?! I've seen pics and read the posts, but hard to tell. I'm coming from NorCal to ride Austin next weekend and have City Park on my short list. I'm an advanced rider, but don't want to be dismounting and dodging moto all day... challenging singletrack is my preference.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quik564
    How tough/enjoyable is City Park really?! I've seen pics and read the posts, but hard to tell. I'm coming from NorCal to ride Austin next weekend and have City Park on my short list. I'm an advanced rider, but don't want to be dismounting and dodging moto all day... challenging singletrack is my preference.
    really depends on how accustomed you are to rock ledges/steps and loose rock here and there and the sort. If you haven't seen the photos here there are a couple that provide a decent indication of what you would be in for. The review there sums things up in a short and to the point manner.
    Pedigre

Members who have read this thread: 0