Where are the best trails in texas?- Mtbr.com
    Dude...

Where are the best trails in texas?

I'm planning a cross country road trip, and want to make a stop in texas.. Where should I go?

Thanks

mtbr member
    I-10, I-20, I-30, or I-40?

Dude...
    at this point it doesn't matter, whatever makes for the best scenery/trails..

Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessep

As far as parks go, google these two:

Big Bend
    Enchanted Rock

Both are really nice parks, but there are a lot of other spots. East Texas is more forest type terrian, check out Sam Houston park by Nacodochous (not spelled right).
    The texas parks and wildlife website might be your best resource. Also check this LBS here in Austin, they have a lot of local trail maps.

www.bicyclesportshop.com

mtbr member
    Franklin Mountains State Park in El Paso, Palo Duro Canyon in Amarillo, Tyler State Park in Tyler. Those would be my picks, and all close to interstates. I'm not really familiar with the trails around San Antonio and Austin but the Texas Hill Country is pretty and the riding is good down that way. Anywhere you go this time of year will be extremely hot.

Dude...
    Anywhere you go this time of year will be extremely hot.
    should be sometime in late January or Feb, what will it be like then?

mtbr member
    Palo Duro would be chilly since it's up at about 3000 feet. That time of year, I'd check out the Big Bend area and El Paso.

MC Hammer
    I can't believe no ones mentioned Cameron Park (Waco), there's a reason the NORBA nationals where held there two years ago..........nice climbing

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    For Austin, San Antonio and lots of other areas in texas, check out http://www.austinbike.com

Rollin' twenties.
    Apr 2006
    e rock is really cool,great rockclimbing and hikeing.
    but im not sure you can ride there.

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aggiebiker
    e rock is really cool,great rockclimbing and hikeing.
    but im not sure you can ride there.
    You are correct. They do not allow biking in the park.

As far as Big Bend goes, riding is allowed in the State Park (BB Ranch State Park) but not off the dirt roads of BB NP. IMBA is working with the NPS to get a mountain bike specific trail in BB NP. That will be so cool!

D

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Big Bend State Park for desert riding(or hit up the Mas O menos race on the weekend of Feb 18 in Terlingua, TX -- they have some group rides before race day.) or Comfort for Hill Country(they close for deer season so make sure they are open.) or catch a bikemojo.com Barton Creek Greenbelt ride.

Tyler State Park is nice and in the piney woods but is not very technical at all. Nice place to camp and ride though.

If you do come through Waco to ride Cameron, give me a shout and I'll show you around because you really need a tour guide to get the most out of the park.

February is typically a wet month in Texas and people aren't keen on riding muddy trails around here. We don't have the soil types to support wet weather riding.

(btw it is spelled Nacogdoches and there isn't any riding nearby -- a little hiking in Ratcliff State Park but they allow hunting in the winter so I would stay away.)

mtbr member
    If I had to make one stop in Texas it would be Cameron Park in Waco.

TNC
    noMAD man

January/February

should be sometime in late January or Feb, what will it be like then?
    January and February can be some of the best riding in TX, IMO. It may depend on what part of the state you're in. I really think the best place in TX to ride is on a ranch just SW of Abilene. It has 80 miles of some of the best trail you can imagine. I noticed that your favorite trail is Porc Rim...mine too. If you like the technical features of SW Utah, you'd like this place. It's not Moab, but it's fun, challenging terrain...your Yeti 575 would be very appropriate...it's not a great hardtail place. To ride there, you have to hook up with some locals through a bike shop in Abilene...Biketown. Abilene is on I-20. The owner of our shop happens to be from CT by the way, like you. The problem with Texas is that there are not lots of long, technical trails open to the public. This place is a dirt motorcycle place, but several of us ride MTBs instead or additionally. There are very few motors on the trail at any given time...and there are 80 miles of trail...real trail...you do the math. If you're serious, PM me, and we can discuss it. There are a few good, technical trails in Texas, but for the most part, they're not very long. This one is both long and technical.

Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by xcdude
    If I had to make one stop in Texas it would be Cameron Park in Waco.
    second that motion

Mac

mtbr member
    Epic trip???If I were coming in from the east (on I-20)...first stop off in Ruston, LA at Lincoln parish park (site of AMBC races).
    Then hop over the border & stop at Tyler State Park for a second piney woods camp & ride, then hit I-35 and head south thru the Texas hill country. Lots of rocks, hills & cedars that's 95+ % singletrack.
    There's Cameron park (NORBA race site) in Waco, then south to Austin for the Barton Creek Greenbelt, then south to San Antonio for Government Canyon.
    Then hit I-10 West up to Comfort, TX for Flat Rock Ranch, then continue west to El Dorado for X-Bar ranch, then down to the big bend area to do some desert riding in Terlingua, then over to El Paso for some downhill action (only true mountains w/riding in Texas). That should cover it.

Dude...
    Wow, thanks everyone..

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    If you want a good variety of Cross Country and All Mountain riding stop at the Redd Road trails in El Paso. Heres a sample of some of the trails. There are way more XC type trails out here but these are some of the most fun trails.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gSVhwmNN-kA"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gSVhwmNN-kA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Jul 2006

road trips

if in san antonio try Government Canyon state natural area contact (210)688-9055 just rode there 7-09 all skill levels awesome trails

Members who have read this thread: 0