What we forget- Mtbr.com

Thread: What we forget

mtbr member

What we forget

I was avoiding the crowded trails and parks so I decided to make a few loops around Brindley in Sugar Land. Since I am getting back into biking I am having to re-learn what I forgot. Like body position is crucial in turning, especially tighter turns, and the handle bars are just that, a bar with grips that you hang on to (or for the bike gymnast it is something to get air over when abruptly meeting that immovable object). Real steering comes from the lower body and the top half is along for the ride and fine tunes the turn. Now I no longer fight the turns, my center of gravity is lower, and my turns are much more fluid and faster. I just need to try and not bounce my inside pedal off a root or some object as I lean into the turn.

Although I regret my biking and surfing hiatus when we started our family, at least I get the joy and exhilaration of experiencing the newness of it again!

TXTony
    It is cool re-discovering a passion...

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    your outside pedal should be down while turning, not the inside pedal.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

@ alexrex20: you're correct. What I meant to say was that now that I am getting my body position adjusted I am trying to power through the turns and maintain or increase my speed. But while pedaling through the turns I will occasionally bounce my inside pedal off an object.

mtbr member
    @ TXTony: yep it's pretty cool, especially now that I am introducing my kids to the sports!

Members who have read this thread: 0