What style of riding to you prefer and why?- Mtbr.com

Poll: What style of ride to you enjoy most?

Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008

What style of riding to you prefer and why?

Ok, yes this is a poll and it is being used in conjunction with the other polls I have posted. Please answer then explain why you like mountain biking and why you think the sport should progress in all directions, not just one [I.E.- Freeride, Downhill, Cross-Country, All-Mountain, Slopestyle etc.]

This is for a presentation to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept. in conjunction with the San Marcos Greenbelt Alliance to progessively integrate a freeride skills park and 'North Shore' style obstacles into an existing [but brand spankin new] park / wildlife preserves cross country trail system.

The terrain is perfect and we have the cooperation of local agencies and city officials; now we are working on the demographics to convince the TPWD to let us improve our communities economy by progressing the sport of mountain biking to draw more people from other areas of the state who have no where else to ride.

In reference to:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=508364
    Last edited by xterrain; 04-17-2009 at 02:34 PM.
    "If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space." ~ J. Whittaker

mtbr member
    May 2004

Good job!

xterrain - Thanks for all your hard work on this.

I think that this poll will find its limitations in wording...we prefer what we are accustomed to and have the opportunity to ride. We currently lack a progression area that would allow us to develop as riders.

As riding and skill set development progresses, people need new opportunities to help continue their development. Given that we have seen a movement from more XC to AM type trails in general, both you and I see a need for a skills park to continue honing of skill sets that allow some progression. The terms All Mountain and Free Ride certainly apply to what this area needs.

By allowing cyclists to own a project and participate, the powers that be should realize that the dedication and interest of the cycling community are well aligned with their agendas of promoting enjoyment of the free spaces and generating a bit of revenue for local businesses.

"Clatto Verata Nicto"
    Feb 2006
    All mountain suits me because it seems to encompass cross-country, downhill, and free riding skills while avoiding a high degree of risk exposure.

A skills park with a progression of challenges ranging from beginner level to expert can offer a place for mountain bikers to learn and share skills and knowledge.

The safety factor of a well-designed riding area is one of the big advantages as it will be the favored destination, rather than riders with no such option creating pirate trails on private and public land, and doing so with no planning or formal trail-building training.

Features such as a Pump Track, Dirt Jump area, tight Switchbacks, Teeters, Skinnys, Step-ups and downs, and varying level Drops to a smooth transition would be a welcome challenge to teach balance, energy management and control to riders of all skill levels.

Good luck with the project, I hope to come ride the skills park in San Marcos someday.
    Local Riding Area - Rocky Hill Bike Ranch

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think polls to pick one type of riding over another are silly. I like to ride trails, I like to freeride, I like to dirt jump, I love pump-tracks, I like skills courses. Why do I have to pick one over the other? It's very possible to build facilities that cover all of those riding styles--especially if the govt will just say OK and get out of the way.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WaveDude
    I think polls to pick one type of riding over another are silly. I like to ride trails, I like to freeride, I like to dirt jump, I love pump-tracks, I like skills courses. Why do I have to pick one over the other? It's very possible to build facilities that cover all of those riding styles--especially if the govt will just say OK and get out of the way.
    Word.

Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    xterrain - Thanks for all your hard work on this.

I think that this poll will find its limitations in wording...we prefer what we are accustomed to and have the opportunity to ride. We currently lack a progression area that would allow us to develop as riders.

As riding and skill set development progresses, people need new opportunities to help continue their development. Given that we have seen a movement from more XC to AM type trails in general, both you and I see a need for a skills park to continue honing of skill sets that allow some progression. The terms All Mountain and Free Ride certainly apply to what this area needs.

By allowing cyclists to own a project and participate, the powers that be should realize that the dedication and interest of the cycling community are well aligned with their agendas of promoting enjoyment of the free spaces and generating a bit of revenue for local businesses.
    I couldn't have worded what you said any better. Thank you for the support and for the well worded expression. If I may, I'd like to use some of what you said in our presentation; aptly giving credit where credit is due.
    "If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space." ~ J. Whittaker

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xterrain
    I couldn't have worded what you said any better. Thank you for the support and for the well worded expression. If I may, I'd like to use some of what you said in our presentation; aptly giving credit where credit is due.
    Sure thang.

MyBikeStand.com
    What about more locations geared towards racing either DS or 4X. A large hill is the most you would ever need and they dont take up much space. BMX on steroids!!

Members who have read this thread: 0