What is the fastest trail in DFW?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What is the fastest trail in DFW?

I was out there working last year and didn't have a lot of time to explore, but the 2 trails I rode were Erwin and Joe Pool lake. They were nice enough to go cruise around on, but for the most part it was nothing but switch back after switch back. What trails are fast and flowy? I know I'm not going to get anything too technical, so at least give me someplace I can pedal my ass off!

Mar 2007
    I haven't ridden there in a while, but I remember the front-half (the non-technical section) of the Lake Grapevine trail to be really fast. The only problem is that it's a public park and it can get kinda crowded. Floods very easily, too.

mtbr member
    Johnson Branch up north is a good one and Boulder south of town. Cedar Hill is that switchbacky after a lot of trail was destroyed by a 100 year flood. My disclaimer is I haven't lived in Dallas in a couple of years.

Got Mojo?

hey girl

Quote Originally Posted by Oregon
    Johnson Branch up north is a good one and Boulder south of town. Cedar Hill is that switchbacky after a lot of trail was destroyed by a 100 year flood. My disclaimer is I haven't lived in Dallas in a couple of years.
    still prowling on the Texas board though...
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I would say the two fastest and flowy-est are LBJ and RCP (Rowlett Creek Park). Both of these trails are great single speed hard tail runs and considered two of the easier trails in terms of technical difficulty of the DORBA trails. Be careful at these trails because they are both usually crowded with lots of beginners, families, and hikers/walkers.

Johnson's Branch has some fast, smooth sections, but can also be a very technical trail in areas that IMHO keep it from being one of the fastest trails in the DFW. NorthShore (one of the Lake Grapevine trails) isn't an overall fast trail, in fact I would considered it one of the more technical trails with some of the biggest if not THE biggest drops in Dallas.

mtbr member
    Ok, well if Northshore is technical, I'll try it out as well. What are you considering a big drop? I'm just bring my XC bike, not my AM bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    In the back 3 miles of NS there are some 5 foot + flat to flats! If you go up north to hit Johnson's Branch then you should make an entire day of it and hit Isle Du Bois on the south side of the lake as well. IDB has rocks for the sake of rocks and has quite a bit of sand too. You won't be fast and flowy out here, but it's a nice contrast when riding JB the same day or weekend and they are literally less than a few miles away from one another.

Have fun out there and let me know what you think of the trails when you get back. I moved to Austin last fall and really miss some of the DORBA trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    RCP (Rowlett Creek Park) is probably what you're looking for.
    Packed dirt w/ lots of dips & curves, a few tech creek crossings.
    That's the north side, the south side is flat & feel free to pedal away, a few more switchbacks to keep you on your toes.

IDB is where rocks go to die, Johnson's Branch has a rocky tech loop & the rest is more average loops, Neither of those trails are fast/flowy.

Tyler is a super cardio workout & has very few obstacles.
    Great scenery in the piney woods.

My .02

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Rowlett Creek Preserve

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    i would check out rockledge park at lake grapevine. take a look at the DORBA website. I ride there all of the time. At first it is pretty technical but once you learn it it can be VERY fast!! The longer you ride down the trail the more difficult it gets. Although there are many up and downhill climbs, there are just as many places to haul A^% around the trail!! Good Luck and let me know what you think if and when you get out there!

Oscar

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Dinosaur Valley has some trails that can be linked together and are very fast if you can take the rocks. The fastest trails around are at Bar H in my experience.

mtbr member
    As said prior LB Houston, RCP. I also like making the trek to OCNP every now and then.
    ~Dont taze me Bro~

mtbr member
    To me the "fastest" is Knob hill, you can do that on a cross bike with your eye closed.

The one trail I go to to get the feelin' that you want of going "fast" is Grapevine. Start at Rockledge park and do all the 3 sectioins. i like it because it is a good mix of technical, fast, paved, good looking girls running, climbing (if you do the legs like this 1-2-3-2-3-2-1).

Johnson Branch is a lot slower that Isle Du Bois. IDB will kick your but the first time out but then you get use to it.
    Sit and spin my ass...

Dec 2008
    Honestly... Erwin is 8 miles and people turn laps at 37 minutes and change so that to me is pretty fast. I don't pull those numbers but watch them go by me
    Johnson Branch is awesome fast until you get to the RED section and climb and climb the rocks

IDB is nothing but rocks IMHO

Not enough exp on the other ones mentioned.

Pretty sure you get to pedal you A... off regardless where you go in the metromess

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordog
    Honestly... Erwin is 8 miles and people turn laps at 37 minutes and change so that to me is pretty fast. I don't pull those numbers but watch them go by me
    Johnson Branch is awesome fast until you get to the RED section and climb and climb the rocks

IDB is nothing but rocks IMHO

Not enough exp on the other ones mentioned.

Pretty sure you get to pedal you A... off regardless where you go in the metromess
    During the 6 hour race this past winter at erwin some guys where turning upper 30 low forties for 6 hours.

As for fast my vote is for Oak Cliff Nature Preserve. It just flow and if you stay off teh brakes and on the gas it is a fun fast place.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Boulder Park and Oak Cliff Nature Preserve have a good flow to them. OCNP even has a good flow backwards.
    Livin' the dream.

Members who have read this thread: 0