What does calling out "backwards" mean?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What does calling out "backwards" mean?

I am new to the off-road trails and have been riding Rowlett Creek Preserve up here near Dallas, almost every day for the last week now.

One day while passing riders who had stopped, I turned on a trail and someone shouted, "wrong way!" to me, so I said thanks, then turned and went the other way. I understood that.

Yesterday I go on a loop, and about 1/4 mile in a group of 6-7 riders come around a corner and call out to me, "backward!" I ask, "which way?". They call out again, "backwards!"

So, I turn around and follow them out, which killed my ride on that loop. I get back to the map and I was following the proper direction of the trail.

Now I am confused, were they alerting me that THEY were going backwards, or were they telling me I was going backwards?

Thanks.

meh
    never heard that but either you were going the wrong way or they were riding it backwards i assume, id post this kind of stuff on your dorba account not on mtbr, one of the riders that said that to you is probably on the forum there if it was a group

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    never heard that but either you were going the wrong way or they were riding it backwards i assume, id post this kind of stuff on your dorba account not on mtbr, one of the riders that said that to you is probably on the forum there if it was a group
    Thanks for the reply. DORBA website seems to go down frequently, and this morning I could not access it. I will try again. I thought maybe the saying was a universal thing that I was just not aware of.

mtbr member
    OK, I posted on DORBA and the response I got was that the person calling out "backwards" is riding the trail backwards.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    In a situation like that I just assume the other guy is high and keep riding
    =====
    bacon (is my dog)
    http://www.sbtec.com

mtbr member
    Now it seems that others have chimed in and say that you tell the other rider who is riding backwards, "backwards" to tell them to turn around.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    unless it's a unidirectional trail, tell'em to get "caddywompus".

Someone would slap ya if you yelled that out in these parts.

meh
    most trails around here are unidirectional, this one included...it can be a bit confusing which way to go at portions of the trail in question

mtbr member
    never heard anyone say backwards in my life on a trail. I wouldve assumed he meant to say there were people riding behind him... i dunno.,

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I rode that trail so many times and the only way to do it is to follow the numbers on the trail. It's a oneway trail. Did you follow the numbers?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akazan View Post
    I rode that trail so many times and the only way to do it is to follow the numbers on the trail. It's a oneway trail. Did you follow the numbers?
    I went back since then and rode the entire north side, including 7 again. When you first cross under the bridge, if it is your first time, it looks like you are supposed to steer right and go down through the ditch there. That puts you backwards.

In fact, as you know, you are supposed to follow the yellow lines to the left and go up and around. There should probably be a sign there for first-timers to stay left.

Other than that, 7 is pretty straightforward except for when we accidentally got on the expert track in the back. We realized this about 100 yards in and got back on 7.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Horseshoe trail has tons of confusing splits also.

meh
    lol. yeah it does

mtbr member
    May 2012
    at rowlett creek the best way to find out which direction is correct is to always turn left, at least is has always worked for me

Members who have read this thread: 0