What do I need???- Mtbr.com

Jun 2008

What do I need???

I'm looking to step up from a Rockhopper to a full suspension Spec and I'm considering either the 09 Pitch Comp or the 09 Stumpy FSR Comp. I can and have researched all the differences between the two bikes, but for those with more experience, please give some insight as to what the practically of those differences are. I know the components are of a little higher quality on the Stumpy, but when it comes to suspension travel and the Pitch having more of it being an A/M vs. the XC Trail, do I need it? I'm riding San Antonio trails such as OP, Gov't Canyon, McAlister and maybe Austin trails. I like the occasional jump and catching some air, the rocky descents and climbs like at Gov't Canyon and the technical trails, so for you seasoned vets, which of the two is more practical for me?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    This may not be helpful because my Spec Myka is a HT, but when I'm out at GC, I see a lot of Stumpy's. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that I don't know if any of the trails around here would actually warrant an "all mountain" bike (as Specialized classifies the Pitch), but you did say that you like jumps and stuff. The other thing that strikes me about the Stumpy is that it has quite a few pricepoints, and the Pitch not so much, in case that's an issue. And, because I have no experience with FS riding, my final suggestion is this: visit Ride Away Bicycles and talk to the guys in there. They sell Specialized bikes and are super helpful and knowledgeable. Good luck with your decision. I hope I helped a tiny little bit.

Jun 2008
    Anything is helpful. People are so afraid to give their opinions when asked for them. I've talked to them before and just wanted to make sure I got opinions from those who are not trying to sell me something.

mtbr member
    I hear ya on the afraid to voice opinions, and on second opinions. I would have suggested that you go to another shop also, but I truly don't know anyone else in the area who sells Specialized. I will say that I've bought two bikes from them in the last few months (mtb & road) and have been very satisfied that they're not trying to get me on a sale. I actually had one of the guys tell me, "I don't care if you buy this bike or not, I'm not commissioned, but I'm not going to let you walk out of here with something you don't need or want." and that gave me a lot of respect for them that they weren't just trying to make a sale. I hope you get some more advice and opinions, and end up with a bike that you'll love and that will let you tear up and down Joe Johnston and fly past me on my little ol' HT.

DrQ
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Test out both bikes to see what feels better to you. I haven't ridden in San Antonio, but I ride a Stumpy FSR elite. I ride in College Station a lot and in Austin and Waco and have never found anything the stumpy can't handle and I'm 6'6" 230lbs. I don't take any big jumps though just drops of 2-3 feet at max.

Jun 2008
    Thanks, Swthrtsuzy! Where is Joe Johnston? We'll have to hook up for a ride one of these days.

DrQ - No one in town stocks the Pitch for me to test it out, so that's the dilemma. I'm presuming they don't stock it because they won't sell based on the local terrain. I'd still like to be able to test it out, so if you know of any shops as far as your parts or Austin that stock the Pitch, let me know. I like to go a little higher than 2-3 feet, maybe 4-6 feet. Do you think I'd have any problems with the Stumpy? I'm 5'10", 165 wet!

DrQ
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I bet you can find a pitch somewhere in Austin to demo. Most of the bikes here in College Station are on the low end due to all of the college kids around. I'm not sure if the Stumpy could handle 4-6 footers, I wouldn't be taking it off any 6 foot drops to flats. If you are doing much of that at all it would be better to go with something a little beefier like the pitch or enduro.

mtbr member
    Definitely if you're planning on launching the thing into the atmosphere, go with something a little more hardcore than a Stumpjumper. However, I still maintain that for the average MTB trail around here, a Stumpy is more than ample. Sheesh, I ride a lower end HT and I'm a big girl. No problems with it. (That is not to say that I don't reaaaaaalllyyyy want an FS.)

Also, second the idea to try Austin. As much as I love Ride Away, San Antonio just isn't as cool as Austin and never has the really good stuff. It's a conspiracy, but it's also a great excuse to go get a bike up there and check out some of the Austin trails while you're at it. Road trip!

Where in San Antonio has jumps that high? I sure as heck haven't found any, but then again, I'm not really looking seeing as how I'm kinda chicken. Anyway, Joe Johnston is the most popular trail out at GC and it doesn't have any drops or jumps that high, but it's full of rock gardens and other fun stuff. You'll see me out at GC most any weekend, just look for the chubby chick on a candy apple red Spec HT.

Jun 2008
    The jumps would be occasional. The jumps are what I make of em, not necessarily drops, so I'll find a launch point and do the rest. If my Rockhopper HT can handle it, you don't think a stumpy could handle it???

DrQ
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    If you like the pitch when you try it out I'd probably go with that. You will be able to ride on all the regular singletrack you run into (though you may be a little slower on the uphills than others on xc bikes) but you will never have to worry about doing damage to your bike when taking those big jumps when you get the chance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Bicycle Sport Shop South in Austin has a Pitch in stock. I would recommend just getting something in the 5.5-6in range so you are not left pondering about it. BSS also have Trek Remedies, Fuel EX, Santa Cruz Blur LT, and a few others in stock. Call them first to chekc on the sizes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

dude GIANT

I was looking into buying a new bike aswell. and i purchased a hardtail 29er because it was supposed to be faster than a fs 26" bike, so I went big and bought a foreign sub 24lbs 29er for fast xc/trail race bike when i weight 185lbs. I was disappointed in it the whole time (5mo) i owned it... it was worse than my 26" trek 6000 (if thats possible).

I too OCCASIONALLY take drops as big as you want, and im much heavier than you, so i thought with my new bike i would go the longer travel route and get a new Trance X0 or X1, both are bad to the bone, and would suit me fine. But i ended up getting a Anthem 1 with only 3.5 inches font and back, i'm so stoked in my decision. the bike acts like its got way more travel than its supposed to have, really confidence inspiring. All in the Maestro suspension design, with its floating pivot, much more plush without the sacrifices of longer travel bikes. Ive got way more speed and climbing ability than i would have on a longer travel bike like my friends have... so in short, for texas riding, i wouldnt go with a long travel bike, because a good design XC bikeill out doone inoutweighs the occasional drop you might come up to.

Jun 2008
    Thanks, madd and EX! Good info and input.

Members who have read this thread: 0