what to do in austin?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

what to do in austin?

Will be in austin this weekend, (from michigan) i want to try the bbq down there, i read that a place called rubys is good and the wife wants tex-mex, so whats a good tex-mex to go to? i'll only be having dinner twice while in austin so i want to try the best they have to offer when it comes to bbq and tex-mex, any suggestions? also read that lance armstrong has a bar there (six) , worth checking out? or is it just a plain ol bar?

thanks for any suggestions

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    i cant advise on the food even though Im a foodie because I find ruDys and pok-e-joes the best and most wont consider them.

as far as other sites to see--mount bonnell, the texas history museum, zilker park all spring to mind. i like the arboretum and greathills area to shop. maybe walk around the 6th street and UT areas and people watch. just drive around the city--it's beautiful. shop or eat almost anywhere out of the norm and soak in the austin vibe (quirky good weirdness)

mtbr member
    stay away from 6th St. it blows unless youre really into the frat/sorority/club scene. I really enjoyed hanging out with friends at Spider Bar last time I was there. they have an awesome patio

for Mexican food, I thought El Arroyo was really damn good when I was there a few weeks ago. there are 2 locations. one on 5th St (if you want to be closer to downtown) and another location up north somewhere. the sour cream enchiladas were incredible www.ditch.com

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    Breakfast tacos: Dan's Hamburgers has incredible and cheap breakfast tacos. (Get the potato, egg, bacon and cheese tacos).

BBQ. Rudy's for quick fix. (lunch or dinner, breakfast too).
    Salt Lick for the real experience (bring your own beer in a cooler)

Tex-Mex: Chuy's is my #1 place. Or better yet, take your wife to Vivo for dinner. Small, Trendy, really cool, great salsa and incredible margaritas. All the ladies get a Rose after dinner, flowers in the drinks, not too expensive and "interesting" art on the wall (not kid friendly). Wait in the bar, grab a margarita or 4, just don't drive afterwards

Nightlife:

The Western Edge of 6th street is for the older(upper 20s+)/calmer crowd (Ranch 620, J Blacks, Molotov, etc; Same with 4th Street (Fado's, Cedar Street, etc.)

Six is ok., nothing exciting for sure.

Check out bikemojo for ride calls and/or post up yourself for a tour.

mtbr member
    Maudie's is pretty good tex-mex. I like the ditch, too (el arroyo). As mentioned above, Spider House is cool. Or Mother Egan's Irish pub, or Opal's Devine's across the street. Since it is supposed to rain all weekend, you could check out a movie (and a beer) at Alamo Draft House. The State Capitol is worth a look. Go check out Barton Springs. Even if it is cold and raining, Barton's is a special place. Take a run around Lady Bird Lake.

Cisco's on East 6th has a great breakfast. Get the migas.

http://www.maudies.com/
    http://www.drafthouse.com/

Members who have read this thread: 0