What are the best races in Texas?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

What are the best races in Texas?

Hello all, and thanks for taking an interest in this thread.

I work at Orbea USA, and I am working on a special project.

I am an active racer in Arkansas, and at some national endurance races, but I am trying to figure out which races are the best / most popular in Texas. I want to know which XC and endurance races get the best participation, or which events are fantastic and in need of extra support / encouragement. Any help would be greatly appreciated, but I mainly need some suggestions of individual races that YOU think are the best around. It doesn't matter where (in Texas) they are, or how long they are.

Thanks for your help guys and gals.
    Frank Webber | Orbea USA
    Customer Service | MTB Promotion

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I would suggest you contact Tobin or Scott on TMBRA.ORG . Really any of the Texas races are awesome. I prefer the ones held at Juan Pelota Ranch, Rocky Hill Ranch, Bluff Creek Ranch. Solovaka is also a cool place to ride/race. As is the Terlingua/Lajitas areas when land owners cooperate. Really too many to places to mention.

Quote Originally Posted by OrbeaFrank View Post
    Hello all, and thanks for taking an interest in this thread.

I work at Orbea USA, and I am working on a special project.

I am an active racer in Arkansas, and at some national endurance races, but I am trying to figure out which races are the best / most popular in Texas. I want to know which XC and endurance races get the best participation, or which events are fantastic and in need of extra support / encouragement. Any help would be greatly appreciated, but I mainly need some suggestions of individual races that YOU think are the best around. It doesn't matter where (in Texas) they are, or how long they are.

Thanks for your help guys and gals.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'd say the largest turnout is the Warda race (Bluff Creek Ranch) in early Spring (usually late February). I believe some 700 racers came out last year. Don't quote me on that.

What is the best race? You'll obviously get different answers from different people. My favorite race is probably Comfort (Flat Rock Ranch). My opinion is largely based on the course.

Benandshan2
    Def. Pain on the Plains in Palo Duro Canyon State Park! It's coming up this September. I'd link to it but I can't yet. I'm pretty certain it's a TIMBRA ride and there's a page for it on facebook.

Big Damn Hero
    The GHORBA Big Ring Challenge in Coldspring, TX was also a huge turnout... I had 58 people alone in my class!

The terrain isn't the toughest or the most exciting, but the proximity to Houston drives the large number of participants.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The Puzzler in El Paso is a true test of endurance.

mtbr member
    I know it's a little late but I would have to second the El Paso Puzzler as one of the toughest if not "THE" toughest race in the state. Only in 15 days! This will be my third. Cant wait.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

El Paso Puzzler

The Puzzler is coming up in just a bit more than a week. Weather looks great. Free Beer, Free Food, Hoodies to all 50 mile finishers, T-shirts to all, and most importantly - kick ass trails.
    Registration ends next Wed.
    elpasopuzzler.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    "Pain on the Plains" or "24 Hours in the Canyon" are pretty brutal. They're up in Palo Duro Canyon just south of Amarillo. The Smurfboy series that DORBA puts on is pretty brutal too. 100+ degree endurance races that last into the night...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Miles of DisComfort Marathon held at Flat Rock Ranch, Comfort, Tx., had the biggest turnout last year. It was the home of the 2005 NORBA National Marathon and is the longest currently running TMBRA Marathon. Lance has raced it twice & Chris Eatough once. The race is held on a 26.5 mi. loop with approx. 2600'+ of climbing per loop. The race wiil be 2 loops.
    Information can be found here:
    http://www.tmbra.org/promoters/comfoftmarathon2012.pdf

and here:

Flat Rock Ranch - Comfort, Texas

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'll throw out the Bent Wheel Bash in Abilene, TX. It's an excellent race at an excellent venue for being in Central TX. It's easily with in driving distance of Lubbock, DFW, and maybe a little farther for those in the Austin, San Antonio area. I've heard nothing but praises for this race and the course. I mention it as one that just needs more recognition.

wheelie king
    Mellow Johnnies Spring Classic is a great race.