west houston or katy peeps.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

west houston or katy peeps.

hey all im looking for a bike and i know walmart doesn't sell decent stuff for off road but ive been following this brand called triace and the walmart on I-10 and fry has one in stock and i think its a really good dead at $289. its all aluminum and from my research it has a few carbon parts and comparing it to the trek 820 at bike barn, it seems to have the same or better components then the trek. so i was wondering if any one in that area can stop by and look at this bike and see if its a joke or not. i really like and i wanna support a different brand then usual brand. i know its a big request but i cant find other reviews due to brand being new and the american site isnt done but their Chinese site has some high end looking bikes.

Brentster
    Jun 2007
    You'd rather support Walmart and a Chinese manufacurer than Bike Barn and Wisconson based Trek?

I'm all for saving money, but a $300 bike from Walmart is not even close to a good deal. For a few $$ more, you'll get phenominal support from your bike shop, with anywhere from 90 days to a lifetime worth of adjustments (Sun and Ski Sports).

Some kid making minimum wage threw that Walmart bike together and I guaranty you it will need to be tightened up after the first time you hit the trails.

Don't be penny smart, pound foolish.

mtbr member
    Just b/c they may make high end bikes doesn't mean what they have at WM constitutes even a decent entry level bike.

Take Diamondback for example:

Exhibit A: Diamondback Outlook

Exhibit B: Diamondback Sortie Black

Mountain bikes are one of those things that 99% of the time you get what you pay for.
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    good point. i didnt think of it like that. what local houston store offer the best after sale support? i asked bike barn and they said they do a after 3 month tune up. sun and ski has the last year model haro flightline are those any good?

meh
    this?

Where are you seeing carbon parts or parts that are better than a Trek??

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    the carbon parts i found on a yahoo question thing ill look it up http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...8112538AAY6l7O
    (i went and look and i cant tell a visual difference) and the parts i went to the walmart that has in the floor for show and i wrote the shocks,rims,front and rear derailer names down and compared them to the trek 820 which is about the same price.
    Last edited by l36pontiac; 11-16-2010 at 11:22 AM.

meh
    how serious are you about offroading? those parts are not gonna take much abuse

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    just houston off road trails. its just a starter bike nothing permanant. i just know the walmart cheap stuff will break after a few uses and i figure something a lil nicer will last a lil longer till a can buy the next step up im bikes. if u guys think the triace is junk then ill for go a main brand starter mtb. what should i look for? the trek is nice at bike barn but its a steel frame. wouldnt that be heavy? i like the haro flightlines.

meh
    at the cheap end you are looking at, they are all prob gonna have the same components which are shoddy for off roading, more built for neighborhood rides
    the trek 820 isnt gonna be better cuz its a trek, it still has crappy components similar to the walmart bike does
    what is your price range, do you have one?
    bang for buck in the entry level hardtail market, its hard to beat bikes direct
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mountain_bikes.htm

meh
    Double Post

mtbr member
    Generally speaking. An entry level hardtail from any of the big brands is going to start at around $500. You will a get a decent frame and quality components (as compared to a Walmart bike) . Nothing spectacular but something fun and reliable none the less.

I know a lot of people who started on Trek 4300/4500's and Specialied Hardrocks. Under $300 I would consider used.

As far as local shops Bike Barn and Sun and Ski are decent. Nothing spectacular. Unless they are having a sale you will pay MSRP on most items. On Sale (and they happen every month or two it seems) you can expect to save 10-20% typically.

Performance bike on Westheimer at Hillcoft may have some decent bikes as well. Its a large national chain store but they do often have decent prices. Westend near memorial park is a good shop as well.

Keep in mind the day after Thanksgiving might be a good day to find a bike on sale. (I am guessing but Sun and Ski might be a good option that day.)

mtbr member
    Another option to consider if you would prefer new is Fezzari...the price can't be beat and the customer service is very good.
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    The Fezzari (agree they do have good customer service) and bike directs bikes (have a friend who swears by Motobecane) are probably the best bang for your buck deals.

You do need to have a pretty good idea of what you want (size, geometry, components, ect) and it helps to be capable with tools and have a basic idea about bike assembly. (i.e. if you have some basic tools (hex wrench set) and know how to use them then you shouldn't have too much trouble assembling. If not then it may not be worth the cost savings.)

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    i wanna stay around $300. i know that entry level but thats what i am. i dont mind upgrading after things break i just want a good base to build from. does that make any sense? its not the last bike ill ever buy but for now thats all i can afford.

mtbr member
    It's all good...I actually picked up a $650 FS (yeah, I know) that was on sale and clearance for $300 when I first took the leap...realized I dug mtbin' as much as I thought I would, so I dug much deeper into my pockets for a real bike
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    so what would be a good base to start from in that price range?

mtbr member
    If you are remotely thinking about upgrading parts on your frame I would go for the Trek or the bikesdirect. Don't rule out used. You might find a deal on something a few years old with better components and frame than what you get new for $300.

The walmart frame is not something I would consider upgrading on. More of a ride and replace when the time and budget is right.

meh
    300 is about as low as you can go, but like string says, used is prob the better option at that price range
    Shimano Deore/Sram x.7 (or maybe x.5) components are kinda considered the entry level spec of mtn biking...along with maybe a rockshox dart/tora fork
    these arent exclusive, as there are other entry level options out there too, just an idea
    sucks going too cheap the first time around as you are forced to upgrade sooner and leaves you spending more than if you had just saved up a little longer for a little better bike to start

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    im liking the dawes haymaker 1000. i a lil more but looks like a jump in extra features.

meh
    i would say for 30 bucks more, this is a much better buy than the dawes
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._cliff4500.htm

I Crash Often
    Nov 2006
    I was in the same situation you are in back in 2007. Not wanting to spend alot, I knew if I spent $300 on a mountain bike that was meant to be used off-road, it wouldn't last. I decided upon a Gary Fisher Wahoo. The frame is going to be similar to entry level Trek bikes and componants on the same level as well.

Since 2007, I've riden at trails around Houston, cross country rides in the front range of Colorado, downhill trails at Sol Vista Bike Park, and recently a series mountain bike race. I did upgrade the fork to a lighter, better fork as well as stronger brakes. The only issue i've had was to replace the chain and take off reflectors.

I initially spent $500 on my bike...roughly $200 more than what you want to spend. Consider what everyone else has said and relize that you're getting a mountain bike to take off-road. A bike that will fall apart will only frustration and a need to buy a better bike. I'd save a little bit more and get a bike from a local bike shop. Good luck!

mtbr member
    keylay is right, save and wait for the better bike. how about the used mrkt? if you're remotely athletic you'll fold that $300 bike from wherever mfg. don't throw away 300 when you can keep 500 for a lot longer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    ive looked used also but not fnding much on craigslist or ebay. plus i dont have the money till december when my moms inheritance comes(shes giving each of her kids some $$$$)

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I would say motobecane is a pretty good value. There is a store in central houston, bike shop, where you can purchase in-store instead of bikesdirect.com. I ended up getting a specialized stumpjumper ht when looking for my first bike. I just went full squish and the stumpjumper is up for sale if you're interested (a little more than your budget). It's a 2009, 18" Stumpjumper Comp HT (PM me for pics/details).
    Last edited by phidailo; 11-17-2010 at 03:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by l36pontiac
    ive looked used also but not fnding much on craigslist or ebay. plus i dont have the money till december when my moms inheritance comes(shes giving each of her kids some $$$$)
    WAIT AND SAVE

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I started out last year on an 09 Haro Flightline Comp. For a $700ish bike it was great. I know it's different than the $300 ones you're looking at, but the frame is identical, and it's tough. After about a year of riding around Houston and a hard trip or two to Austin I did bend the rear wheel. It's collecting dust in my apartment now since I bought a new Santa Cruz, but I had a lot of great miles on it. If you fit well on an 18 inch(M) Haro I'll give it to you cheap enough to stay under your $300 budget and still get you rolling. . . . It does have a few nicks, needs new wheels, and a tune up though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    dont think ill fit. im 6'1 or 6'2 195. guy at bike barn said a 19 or 20 would be ideal.
    Last edited by l36pontiac; 11-21-2010 at 04:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    You may want to take a look into the Forge Sawback 5xx. It seems to have some pretty positive reviews and only a few dollars more ( when combined with the 10% off coupon easily found through google for target.com). I cant vouch for it yet, but i did order one and i seem to be about in the same scenario as you. I will admit that i am a complete noob but there is a long thread in these forums about people loving these bikes. http://www.target.com/Men%E2%80%99s-...i_detailbutton

and the specs
    Frameset
    Size: 19" FRAME / STANDOVER HEIGHT 31.7"
    Color: MATTE BLUE / SILVER
    Frame: 6061 ALL ALUMINUM, DOUBLE-BUTTED, HYDROFORMED GUSSET, WITH DISC AND RACK/ FENDER MOUNTS
    Front Suspension: ROCKSHOX DART 1 W/ADJUSTABLE PRELOAD, 100MM TRAVEL
    Wheels
    Rims: WTB SPEEDDISC, 32-HOLE
    Hubs: JOYTECH ALLOY QR DISC 32H
    Spokes: 14G STAINLESS STEEL
    Tires: ITS NINJA 26X2.1"
    Drivetrain
    Speed: 27
    Shifters: SHIMANO DEORE
    Front Derailleur: SHIMANO ALIVIO
    Rear Derailleur: SHIMANO DEORE
    Crankset: TRUVATIV ISOFLOW ALUMINUM TRIPLE 22/32/42T
    Bottom Bracket: VP SEALED CARTRIDGE
    Cassete: SRAM PG950, 34-11T, 9 SPEED
    Chain: SHIMANO HG73
    Pedals: ALLOY PLATFORM
    Components
    Saddle: WTB PURE V SPORT
    Seat Post: ALLOY 30.8X350MM, ADJUST WITH QUICK RELEASE
    Handlebar: MTB-ALLOY 30MM RISE
    Stem: FORGE-ALLOY 105MM
    Grips: WTB TRAIL
    Brake Set: AVID BB-5, MECHANICAL DISC
    Brake Levers: TEKTRO ALLOY
    Extras: PRESTA VALVES, CATEYE REFLECTOR SET, TWO WATER BOTTLE MOUNTS, STORAGE RACK & FENDER MOUNTS CLEAR COAT PAINT FINISH AND OWNERS MANUAL

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I'm about to put a lightly used 2010 Rockhopper Comp 29'er up for sale if you want a hardtail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Triace al2.1 from Walmart

I have done a lot of research on this bike and have compared it to Trek 3500, 3900, Raleigh 2.0, 3.0, GT, Specialized, Moto etc... The components on this bike are of the same or higher quality as the ones above. Now keep in mind that I was also searching for a bike for $300 max price. So I was looking at lower end bikes from all the name brands and used bikes. The Triace has a Shimano Acera rear derailleur and a Shimano Altus front derailleur. It has a SR Suntour XCT V2 fork which is the same fork used on most lower end name brand bikes. It has the Shimano EF51 shifters and Shimano EF50 brake levers also the same used on the Trek 3900. It has aluminum alloy double wall rims and tires. Promax alloy v-brakes and SRAM rear cassette, and carbon fiber handle bars. Do not get me wrong this is a great bike for a beginner or someone who does not ride hard. But you will run into the same problems with the lower end name brand bikes also, which are more expensive. I am also not endorsing any other bike at walmart because they are garbage. With the components that this bike has it is a steal at 289. I would however suggest putting it together yourself if you are fairly mechanically inclined. Or have it put together at your bike shop. You definitely do not want a walmart employee putting it together for you. Great bike for someone looking for one under $300.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    Thank you.

Members who have read this thread: 0