West Austin Trails (Pace Bend Park)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

West Austin Trails (Pace Bend Park)

My wife and I are trying to do as many 1 days rides as we can on nice summer Saturday's. My job is related to the weather so whenever I can get out of San Angelo I try to run away as fast as I can.

Anyway, we have been to Colorado Bend twice now and loved it there. However, it's time to try something different.

Pace Bend caught my eye because the skills course. My wife is a pretty slow rider with zero confidence. Will this course help her? Also, how are those trails? She'll do anything, she just won't do it fast. How is the crowd there too? Lastly, could we do better?

Thanks, y'all.

mtbr member
    Pace Bend is really fun. The parts I did were really flowy and there is definitely some technical sections out there.

On a side note since you drove out to CBSP you HAVE to check out Reveille Peak Ranch in Burnet. You can ride there rain or shine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Reveille is definitely on the list. I'm waiting to do that with some of my riding friends out here so they can lead the way. I hear nothing but good things about it out there.

mtbr member
    You can do Pace Bend, Mule Shoe, Reimers all in one day - many people do that and the tech would be on a moderate side at best.

If I live in SA I would be inclined to "make something happen" with regards to trails in Big Spring or along the way - the terrain looks great. All those uplifts with the windmills..."scarring" the land more with some singletrack is nothing compareg to the footprint of all those access roads to get to each windmill.

mtbr member
    Pace Bend, Mule Shoe, Reimers all in one day would be the end of your wife mountainbiking I think. That's a very tall order unless she is ready to shred 30+miles.
    Even two of those would beat you down unless you skipped substantial portions.

To answer op's question the pb skills course is more upper intermediate. She may have fun on one of the skinnies and a few features are rollable if you don't want to huck them.
    Best part of PB is the Rock Garden of Greatness. She might like attempting that. It's low speed tech.

Reveille is always a good call and the rain lately makes it even more so. There you will be crossing off camber creeks crisscrossing the "griprock". Take the race loop and explore Reveille peak loop and upper loop for a great and unique to Texas lap.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Agreed with BAMWA, do not attempt all three trails in one day, you'll die. Well, not die, but you'll get divorced.

I would say the skills portion is intermediate. There's no harm in checking it out, but if your wife has zero confidence, then let her figure out if she wants to ride the stuff. Who knows, she might surprise you?

Most of the trail at Pace Bend is pretty well shaded too, and now there's water in Lake Travis, so you can always go for a dip after your ride, which isn't something you can say about a lot of the trails around here. You'll love Pace Bend, it's one of the best trails in the Austin area.

The nice thing about the trail itself, is that the water level of Lake Travis has no effect on the biking crowds, we don't care if there's water in the lake, we don't need it to ride. So on Saturday, it's going to be busy out there, but even if there's twenty riders out there, it's built as a one way trail, so you won't really run into any one. It won't feel crowded.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Great responses guys! I really appreciate it. My wife can easily do 20 miles in a day so I think we'll end up just doing a Saturday at Pace Bend and a Sunday at Mule Shoe. She's a very willing rider, just sometimes is very slow. I've become pretty competitive and aggressive so our riding styles cannot be anymore different, but I slow it down for her.

If this weekend's weather continues to look good-to-go, we should be heading down there next week.

mtbr member
    Pace Bend park rangers said not to swim there yet since the floods and I believe em. Its gross right now. Reimers was awesome today, rode both techie loops and then the back 9 as I call it. Super 2 hr ride. Good to go 150%! I forgot how tough that trail can be. Grass a little tall but it'll be like that anywhere.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.