Wee-Chi-Tah Trail Help- Mtbr.com

Jul 2008

Wee-Chi-Tah Trail Help

I'm a long time cyclist who is new to the sport of mountain biking. I am signed up for a Wee-Chi-Tah Trail race in conjuction with the HH100 in Wichita Falls - I was hoping to get up there to try out the trail before the event (late August) but it looks like that might not happen. So I need some help. First off - can anyone provide any comments on the course? I can't seem to find anything online about it other than very general comments.

Also - I currently have quite knobby 2.5" tires on the bike. I've heard the course is pretty flat and somewhat straight so I'm wondering if I'm going to be killing myself trying to get around it on these. Will it make a difference for a novice mountain biker on a rigid bike? Any help would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    I remember the trail having lots of tight turns with short ups and downs. It seems like someone built the trail on top of large BMX track. The soil was mostly hardpack.

Link to cheesy map

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    It is mostly flat with a few tight sections through the woods. The flat fast sections were a little rough when I rode it last year, so stay with the fat tires if your running a rigid. Leave your big ring on if you can, I was running 20mph through a lot of it and wasn't racing, just exploring the trail on Friday before HHH last year. I was thinking of racing the trail race this year, but am having trouble deciding if I should ride my SS mountain bike or my Cyclocross bike.

Jul 2008
    Thanks a lot for your help - fingers crossed that all goes well!

Aug 2008

Bad News

The Wichita Falls area received torrential rain last night and hasn't really stop today. IMO this ride will not take place unless you have a canoe as the course is under water.

Jul 2008
    HA! I just got an email from the race director saying the same thing (almost exactly). So the scenarios moving forward this weekend were to either (1) cancel the race and get free admission to next years or (2) move the race to a 'hard surface' or 'multi-purpose' trail.

I don't know where the 'multi-purpose' trail would be or what it would look like around those parts - maybe all the mtbr's can line up with the Cat 1 guys and do some crit laps.

Aug 2008
    The multi-purpose trail is the concrete trail which runs along the river and through Lucy Park.

Flood covers trails planned for off-road HHH events

Jul 2008
    So it sounds like it would make sense (if the race goes forward) to switch to some much narrower tires. Thanks for the link and the info!

Aug 2008
    The race director on the news said to bring slicks!!!

Jul 2008
    I wonder if it would make more sense to just use a road bike - if the whole thing is on concrete. I am not the owner of any cross bike. Anything out there that would need the use of a suspension?

Aug 2008
    That's what I would think. From what I hear the city has committed to assisting in cleaning the trail of mud, that would be my only concern about a road bike!!

Jul 2008
    Thanks for your help - I'll bring both just in case (and a couple tire choices). Can't hurt to be prepared I suppose.

Too bad the trail is out though - hope there is no long term damage to it.

Aug 2008
    We'll rebuild it again!!! That's the real shame of it. People have put a lot of hours into building it and improving. It flooded last year about a month before HHH and they got most of it rebuilt and have been fine tuning it since. They try to keep the trail in good shape so whenever it gets muddy they close it to keep it from getting ruts and such.

Members who have read this thread: 0