We can't have this.- Mtbr.com
    TNC
    noMAD man

We can't have this.

C'mon folks...this is Texas. 12 hours without a post? It may be winter in Minnesota, but this is prime riding time here. I just logged on for my last mtbr fix for 3 days while I head out to my favorite riding place that I've posted on here...Bronte...or Texana Ranch. I picked up a leftover '08 Spec Stumpjumper FSR off of the Spec blem list through the shop recently. Slapped on a longer off-the-shelf RS Monarch rear shock (7.5 X 2.0) to replace the funky sized Fox Triad...went from 120mm to 137mm in travel. Last night I installed a new 140mm RS Revelation 426 dual air fork...OEM was 120mm. Now I gots me a real AM bike at 5.5/5.3 inches...with no extra weight. The Juicy 5's were rather uninspiring, even with the OEM 8/7 inch rotor combo, so I bolted up a set of Avid Elixirs. We have some of those on our Spec SJ FSR Elite test bike, and they are very impressive...might even go down a rotor size.

Well, until Sunday evening, I'm outta here. I'll try to get a couple of scenic shots on the trail. I usually get someone to come out and ride on the weekends, but apparently all slackers are home watching reruns of Oprah...or something.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Well, until Sunday evening, I'm outta here. I'll try to get a couple of scenic shots on the trail. I usually get someone to come out and ride on the weekends, but apparently all slackers are home watching reruns of Oprah...or something.
    pictures are always good
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Enjoy the ride, bud.
    Sorry for not posting last night, it was a solo ride and I didn't get any pics.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Good deal on that bike, I saw the left overs at the LBS too. Have a good weekend!

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    nice looking bike---interesting that the graphics on the bottom tube is not too dissimilar from the Giant XTC SE IIs of 6 or 7 years ago.

mtbr member
    Incredible weather we are having right now. Everyone should be out riding!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I went out for a ride last weekend:

https://www.austinbike.com/rides/021509/index.asp

The bike had fun:

Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yep I hit up Muleshoe Bend last Monday. I must admit one of my favorite rides near Austin so far. Pace Bend is on the list in a couple of weeks. Will post a few pics of the Muleshoe ride in a few days, included in these pics is a Vintage Trek Y-bike.

SS XC Junkie
    I went to Memorial Park here in Houston earlier today. Nothing to eventful to report and I didn't have a camera.

Chilling out
    Rode City Park this morning. Haven't been there enough of late. Was a great visit, even with the rain.

Pulled a couple of visitors from San Antone around the loop, I hope they don't hate me now. :^)

Got a big BCGB ride planned for Sun - 9:30am at Spyglass entrance launch (across from Tacodeli).

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Went to Govt Canny today...broke a pedal (CB smarty)... Hopefully I can get it fixed soon, or I'll be taking the hardtail out tomorrow.
    2008 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

I DON'T avoid rocks.

mtbr member
    bikes in the shop...so, just got to wash its transportation this weekend
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    Got a big BCGB ride planned for Sun - 9:30am at Spyglass entrance launch (across from Tacodeli).
    Will there likely be a ride next Sunday morning?

I'm in town for the next couple of weeks (scouting Austin for potential relocation) and I've heard awesome things about riding BCBG but probably can't rent a bike that early in the morning and shops are just about closed for the day. I've only been riding a season and a half (and probably less technical Toronto-area trails) so I wouldn't want to slow anyone down but if the pace is medium I think I'd be able to keep up...

Arrived yesterday afternoon - you guys have it SO good with this warmth in February!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tdotrider
    Will there likely be a ride next Sunday morning?

I'm in town for the next couple of weeks (scouting Austin for potential relocation) and I've heard awesome things about riding BCBG but probably can't rent a bike that early in the morning and shops are just about closed for the day. I've only been riding a season and a half (and probably less technical Toronto-area trails) so I wouldn't want to slow anyone down but if the pace is medium I think I'd be able to keep up...

Arrived yesterday afternoon - you guys have it SO good with this warmth in February!
    I will guarantee a ride on the GB next weekend. When you PM'd me you caught be by surprise and I had already made commitments for this weekend.

Let me know what works for you next weekend.

Your company doesn't happen to make computer graphics does it? Mine has a branch in Markham and most of the people in NA work out of Austin. It's not the same company is it?

Chilling out
    BSS may be open after 6 on Sat, don't know. They should rent you a bike on Sat that you can return on Sun PM.

Be sure to get a "trail" bike not an "xc" bike, 4-5" squish (or more) if you want the most Relaxed ride. Something that pedals up hill well is also suggested.

Of course, there are those who ride in rigid-fixed-gear, but I think they're just sickos

(but cool people, none-the-less)

SS XC Junkie

Of course, there are those who ride in rigid-fixed-gear, but I think they're just sickos

Hey!!! I kinda resemble that remark except I have a freewheel! The SS rigid works well for me in Houston but I might be a little out of my element in Austin. I'll be going up to find out how well it does in a couple of months. Definitely going to take some extra gears with me when we go!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dontheclysdale
    Hey!!! I kinda resemble that remark except I have a freewheel! The SS rigid works well for me in Houston but I might be a little out of my element in Austin. I'll be going up to find out how well it does in a couple of months. Definitely going to take some extra gears with me when we go!
    I ride with someone who has a rigid singlespeed FIXIE on the trails.

I prefer gears.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    BSS may be open after 6 on Sat, don't know. They should rent you a bike on Sat that you can return on Sun PM.

Be sure to get a "trail" bike not an "xc" bike, 4-5" squish (or more) if you want the most Relaxed ride. Something that pedals up hill well is also suggested.

And let me know if you need a ride to the ride next weekend. More than happy to give you a lift if you need it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    No worries, I knew it was a bit short notice for this weekend anyways. I'm good for either Saturday or Sunday next weekend, don't really have any concrete plans as of yet. I'll probably pick us up a pair of beater bikes off Craiglist or something to coast around town on for the next couple weeks, seems like a great way to see Austin.

I can't recall mentioning my company but I work for EDS..we're into everything-IT but I don't think we do graphics. I actually spent a good part of my childhood in Markham, quiet little 'burb but nothing really going on there...so far we're lovin' Austin

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Ah, I'm with AMD, our ATI graphics group is in Markham. Toronto is typically not a location that people migrate here from, so I had to ask.

Just keep an eye on bikemojo this week:

http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Once I see the weather for the weekend I will call either a saturday or sunday ride. If it looks good for both days, then it will almost for sure be sunday.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys, certianly appreciated.

I called BSS yesterday around 5:30 but they said they were closing at 6 so it was too tight a squeeze to head down then. Just picked up a couple beater bikes and heading down to the Town Lake trail to do some exploring, should be fun.

See you guys next weekend!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    This is what you have to look forward to:

http://www.austinbike.com/rides/BCGB022109/index.asp

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    ahhhh I was kicking myself this afternoon for not going, weather was beautiful. I'm stoked to ride next weekend, BCBG looks like a ton of fun. Is it pretty fast-flowing or more stop-and-go through technical bits? I think I'll just rent the Stumpy from BSS, should be interesting because I was considering it before picking up my C'dale Rush a few months ago.

Are there decent trails within riding distance to the I-35 & 2222 area?

mtbr member
    Are there decent trails within riding distance to the I-35 & 2222 area?
    BCGB is the closest thing to ya' that's worth the ride. Check the map, as your "riding distance" might be much further.
    Pedigre

Chilling out
    tdotrider, in answer to your question about bcgb trail natures, the short answer is "yes"

the long answer is that there's lots of bits with lots of different character. some smooth, most bumpy to some degree. It's not smooth-buff-flowy like some places though, just not the character of most Austin trails. Walnut Creek probably has the most "smooth" trail.

FWIW, I put in a nearly-35 mile day in the BCGB today, over 6k ft of climbing total, i'm cooked.

TNC
    noMAD man

Since I started this post...

I guess I'd better man-up and provide some obligatory shots of the ride this weekend. The camping and riding was great out at Bronte as usual. With no riding partners this weekend, I couldn't get any action shots, but the riding and scenery were great nonetheless.

The 140mm fork, the longer rear shock, and the Avid Elixir brakes were stellar on the SJ FSR, and I had a big grin on my face the whole time. I gotta give a real shout-out for these Elixir brakes. There are some steep and decently long downhills at this riding area, and the brakes were downright impressive.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    That's one heck of a ride. How long are the weekend group rides typically?

I've noticed that the roads here are really smooth and hilly, do lots of mountain bikers here also do some road riding?

Chilling out
    cool. i always enjoy seeing an MTB in natural habitat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Are those Elixirs the R's or CR's? There's a considerable price difference so I was wondering about performance differences. I haven't found a review comparing the two but the CR's are getting tons of praise. I know the R's lack a contact-pad adjustment but besides carbon levers is that the only diff?

TNC
    noMAD man
    Are those Elixirs the R's or CR's? There's a considerable price difference so I was wondering about performance differences. I haven't found a review comparing the two but the CR's are getting tons of praise. I know the R's lack a contact-pad adjustment but besides carbon levers is that the only diff?
    Yeah, the mechanical aspects for producing braking power are the same between the R's and CR's. The R's have the same caliper with top-loading feature. A very tiny weight advantage and pad contact adjustment feature are what you get with the CR's. You're right about the price. The R's are priced dramatically lower. I'm not about to put lead weights on my bike, but I'm not spending that much extra cash for that little benefit. I'm beginning to think that the Elixir R's may be the best brake for the money at this point.

mtbr member
    TNC, you know I'm stealing that first pic, right?
    Pedigre

TNC
    noMAD man

LOL!...steal away

Quote Originally Posted by Pedigre
    TNC, you know I'm stealing that first pic, right?
    And while you're at it, load up and bring your camera and get your own pics. I'm gonna be out there from Wed through Sun this week. The dirt motor state enduro is Sunday, but I'll be playing the other days.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    And while you're at it, load up and bring your camera and get your own pics.
    Touché
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    That's one heck of a ride. How long are the weekend group rides typically?

I've noticed that the roads here are really smooth and hilly, do lots of mountain bikers here also do some road riding?
    Typically a weekend greenbelt ride is 15 miles on the short end and ~20-22 miles for a full ride.

There is a dam that is a convenient midpoint for people to drop and return. Depending on how much is done on the south side of the creek, that is usually ~60% of the ride.

If you are feeling weak at that point someone usually has some other time constraint so there is someone else to bail with.

Mountain bikers do road ride, but I find the roads in texas to be far more dangerous than the singletrack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike
    Mountain bikers do road ride, but I find the roads in texas to be far more dangerous than the singletrack.
    besides, road riding seems too much like exercise
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    that's not too shabby - last year I typically MTB'd on weekdays before/after work so my rides were ~ 8-10 miles. Since the ride was short I usually pushed myself at a fast pace to at least squeeze a good workout out of it...

Is road riding dangerous here because drivers don't pay attention to ya'll (oooh feeling like a Texan already)? I noticed that there are dedicated bike lanes on a lot of roads which is more than I can say for Toronto which touts itself as 'bike-friendly'.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    that's not too shabby - last year I typically MTB'd on weekdays before/after work so my rides were ~ 8-10 miles. Since the ride was short I usually pushed myself at a fast pace to at least squeeze a good workout out of it...

Is road riding dangerous here because drivers don't pay attention to ya'll (oooh feeling like a Texan already)? I noticed that there are dedicated bike lanes on a lot of roads which is more than I can say for Toronto which touts itself as 'bike-friendly'.
    The roads are dangerous because they are basically highways. There are no "bumps" on the road - the majority of the road riders stick to one of several routes that have speed limits in the 50-60mph range.
    This is compounded by:
    Drivers' lack of attention.
    Cyclists' lack of respect for larger vehicles and awareness of surroundings.

I am not flaming, but ever single close call I have seen was due to the cyclist hugging the white line and wandering on climbs.

I only live 8mi from work and there is no way in hell I would commute on the windy 60mph 4 lane highway that it would take. I'm skeered.

But I like rollers....

Chilling out
    i've done a fair amount of road riding here (gasp, I actually enjoy it, in the right conditions, heresy I know) but my blood clearly runs brown with mud as anyone would know.

But, road riding hazards come in lots of flavors and not all situations are cyclist generated. I was in a sever person group once cruising down hwy 620 heading east through Lakeway and we had a very bad but lucky outcome car-cyclist incident.

We were spread out with 2-3 car lengths between each of us (plenty of room to not hold up traffic turning in/out of road access); we were rolling centered/right-side of the full-lane width shoulder. We had an isuzu trooper blast past all of us, pull even with the lead rider, ant then turn 90d right driectly into him. Luckly, the lead guy was able to make the turn while his body was slammed against the isuzu, as the motorist executed about a 110d turn to the right. The motorist fled the scene, the cops did not pursue (even with multiple other witnesses having written down the license no.).

so kids, be careful out there. rocks are ever so much more gentle.

i've actually found that the motorists outside the metro centers (austin, san antone, etc.) even though they're generally moving fast on the 2-lane 2-way roads (60-80 mph) do tend to see cyclists. This is something that I did not experience nearly as often in MD/VA/DC/PA.

Of course, sometimes they notice you and throw beer cans (full).

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Let's not scare him too much. Suffice to say that austin is not texas

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    yeah I've heard about the beer-can tossing, that's a little sketch...

ideally I'd live a 2min ride to some wicked trails and wouldn't need a road bike at all...

my wife & i were checking out the highland hills / cat mountain area north of the 2222 between 360 and mopac...any decent trails out that way? i remember in another post someone mentioning that along 2222 there's always somewhere to ride...

mtbr member
    May 2004

ideally I'd live a 2min ride to some wicked trails and wouldn't need a road bike at all...

my wife & i were checking out the highland hills / cat mountain area north of the 2222 between 360 and mopac...any decent trails out that way? i remember in another post someone mentioning that along 2222 there's always somewhere to ride...
    Sure, there is Bull Creek (dog) Park right there and City Park is around the corner.
    Last edited by CharacterZero; 02-24-2009 at 01:34 PM.

mtbr member
    i ride about every other day at Sansom Park because its ten minutes away. never anyone there except on the weekends.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Well, that neighborhood is close to mine, I'm just south of 45th, east of mopac.

From my house I can hop on the shoal creek greenbelt, shoot down around the lake and back in a little over an hour. Or I could continue down to the BCGB if I wanted a longer ride.

I can get to city park or walnut creek in ~10 mins by car.

It's a great central location.

There are several folks from bikemojo who live in my neighborhood. Even some people from MTBR. And the draught house as well as the flying saucer are both walking distance (or biking from those areas).

Chilling out
    i'm not trying to scare him.

ok, maybe off the road, but that's no biggie.

when i moved over Christmas (thanks to Bikemojo friends, TOTALLY, who helped or it would not have happened without severe pain) I ended up in a place that averages 8.9 miles to about 9 different ride areas.

'nuff said.

Members who have read this thread: 0