Wanting to ride city park in Austin,any good??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Wanting to ride city park in Austin,any good??

was thinking about going to Autin this weekend and have heard good things about this park,just wanted some feedback.

probably going on sunday.
    2009 Marin Mount Vision 5.7....a great everything bike...

MC Hammer
    Here's a good link to all of Austins trails,

http://www.austinbike.com/index.asp

CP is a technical place to ride, it's a local favorite for some.....been there once and it's a tad much for me (I don't have a lot of skillz)

If you like a challenge, it's def worth your time

If you need a group to hook up with, check out the Austin Voodoo forum on Bikemojo.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Well worth the trip.

mtbr member
    It's my regular riding place. Not much traffic out there, 9 out of 10 times I see no one else (which I like). I don't really refer to CP as being technical anymore...it's not tight twisty, it's just full of up and down ledges, several series of such - that it was most are referring to when they say how technical it is. It's a great place to ride, plenty of places for speed, but most of the time you have to keep you eyes open and be very aware of the trail. You will be challenged regardless of your skills. Great place if you like to wheelie drop 2' ledges or huck the occassional drop. There are a few areas along the western creek section that you can play more with bigger drops.

Stick with the main red line on the map for the full loop.
    Conners Creek and the N/S Green Trail are areas for fun if you like 'quasi-freeride' stuff.

https://www.xenopuselectronix.com/images/CityPark.jpg

If you're looking for a relatively quick loop. <6 miles that will probably take you roughly an hour. If you don't mind lots of ledges, no serious elevation (with the exception of a couple of 'longish' ledge sections.

I second checking out Mojo Voodoo (purely for getting more info), you'd be best off by hooking up with someone that knows the "proper loop", as the full loop will net you the most mileage...if you cut out the 3 sections that many do, you'll be closer to only doing about 4 miles.

Oh, generally the trail is considered one-way and the map attached is actually the current direction considered to be correct, but do as you wish, either direction is equally fun and challenging.

Enjoy.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hunrugger
    It's my regular riding place. Not much traffic out there, 9 out of 10 times I see no one else (which I like). I don't really refer to CP as being technical anymore...it's not tight twisty, it's just full of up and down ledges, several series of such - that it was most are referring to when they say how technical it is. It's a great place to ride, plenty of places for speed, but most of the time you have to keep you eyes open and be very aware of the trail. You will be challenged regardless of your skills. Great place if you like to wheelie drop 2' ledges or huck the occassional drop. There are a few areas along the western creek section that you can play more with bigger drops.

Stick with the main red line on the map for the full loop.
    Conners Creek and the N/S Green Trail are areas for fun if you like 'quasi-freeride' stuff.

https://www.xenopuselectronix.com/images/CityPark.jpg

If you're looking for a relatively quick loop. <6 miles that will probably take you roughly an hour. If you don't mind lots of ledges, no serious elevation (with the exception of a couple of 'longish' ledge sections.

I second checking out Mojo Voodoo (purely for getting more info), you'd be best off by hooking up with someone that knows the "proper loop", as the full loop will net you the most mileage...if you cut out the 3 sections that many do, you'll be closer to only doing about 4 miles.

Oh, generally the trail is considered one-way and the map attached is actually the current direction considered to be correct, but do as you wish, either direction is equally fun and challenging.

Enjoy.
    Heh, the full run down for him!

I do like the isolation factor out there, as well as riding it "backwards." Post up on voodoo, I am sure someone might go with you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    i am pretty sure we will be going up there saturday afternoon to stay in Austin and i will ride sometime sunday morning.

mtbr member
    I might be game for that...but I have to locate a derailleur hanger locally and install the derailleur...likelihood is low. If I can work it out I'll PM you my number Saturday night.

Not sure if you care, but Sunday morning there is always a ride at the Barton Creek Green Belt in the event you decide to change venues. Personally never done the group ride thing (it's not my bag), but everyone is all over each others' sac about how great the group rides at the green belt are. Green Belt is a different animal altogether though...LOTS of trails, great variety (from ridiculously mild to pretty wild), unless you go with a guide you can expect to spend several hours if you hit the back trails. Oddly, you can get lost in the 'wilderness' for hours within just a couple of miles from downtown. If you do go to the GB, just know that down = out ... meaning, go down to the creek to find your way out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Hunrugger,if possible PM me your number today.as odd as it might sound i have no internet at home and no cell phone.i am triing to hold off as long as possible.

i am up to someone showing me around out there.

Roger

mtbr member
    PM sent with 411.

mtbr member
    One last thing...it may rain a bit in Austin this weekend, don't let that deter you from CP. CP is the place to ride around here when everything else is wet. CP drains very, very quickly and the majority of the trail is very rideable when wet - within reason of course. There are a few sections that can get sloppy, but assuming it hasn't rained for more than a couple of hours (not likely) or a major flash flood hasn't occurred with 24 hrs you're good to ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Well i made it out there sunday morning and had a blast!!!on both laps i was able to hook up with a couple of peaple to make sure i hit the whole trail.

The trail was very technical but still in most places was managable.i definately didnt make all the climbs but besides about 3 sections with some time looks like could be climbed.

Had a very good time and plan on going up there again sometime.

Sorry hunrugger i didnt get your message,i left work a little early.

Roger

mtbr member
    No worries, I just got my derailleur hanger y'day and still waiting on the derailleur.
    Glad you enjoyed it. I love the place.
    It's highly likely that the recent rains in Austin are the reason you saw others.
    I went out there 3 Sundays ago and saw no one.
    Let me know when you ride it next time.

Feb 2009
    Heh,
    guys am new to this forum, but just wanted to say I had a great time in Austin. Barton Greenbelt trail; phenomenal, daring, great variety terrain. YES Yes, I got lost several times, but that's all in the game and it was FREE. Rented a full suspension bike @ Bicycle Sport Shop on Lamar Blvd. about 2 miles from the park. Had the '09 IBIS Mojo, great bike. Talked with several guys up there and there supposed to be many other trails around town. Going back with a friend of mine in March.
    Question: heard some guys discussing '29ers? anything worth to look at ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Let me know when you are back in march and I will give you a tour of the greenbelt. Fairly confident that you didn't see all the good stuff. There is ~40 miles of trails.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

Feb 2009
    austin biker, am interested and will keep you posted regarding dates in March! Keep it rollin! Thks for the pigs lookin good. Last weekend not much water in the creek though.

Members who have read this thread: 0