Want to ride + camp.. where?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 38 of 38
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    301

    Want to ride + camp.. where?

    Some friends and I (not amateurs) want to make a weekend out of riding and camping. I know that flat rock ranch has a campground and some very good trails, but we are looking for a little more primitive style of camping. We'd like to find some nice trails(30 miles or so) and ride till we get tired then set up our own camp and have a fire. Right now FRR is the best option we've got out there... or possibly Hill Country Natural Area. Anyways, let me know if you guys know of anything.. the closer to Houston the better.

  2. #2
    Citizen Of Earth
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    366
    Where is Hill Country Natural Area? I live in the hill country and have beeen wanting to go ride and camp too. We're going to Guadalupe state park next weekend.
    "If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space." ~ J. Whittaker

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pedigre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    712
    Quote Originally Posted by xterrain
    Where is Hill Country Natural Area? I live in the hill country and have beeen wanting to go ride and camp too. We're going to Guadalupe state park next weekend.
    Hill Country SNA is in Bandera. Nice place to ride, plenty of trail choices. Check out the Googlemap to see where exactly. There are about 32 miles of trail, some easy, some not so much. I really need to get out there and update the review and get more photos. Unfortunately, the last time I went with those intentions it poured as I sat in my truck at the trailhead.

    Guadalupe River SP isn't too bad, though as the all too short review states, the rocks are abundant (especially Loop 4). I need to get back out there, too, sometime and get some photos and actually write a review and not a quick comment or two.
    Pedigre


  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,479
    I have ridden both. HCSNA has more mileage and is a state campground, The trails have some interesting features, we did a lot of climbing and there was a lot of rocks on the climbs. We only covered a portion of the trail and it was a great time:

    http://www.austinbike.com/mtb/hillcountry/index.asp

    Flat Rock Ranch is a better destination in my mind if you are a racer because the trails are much more purpose-built for mountain biking (HCSNA are for multi-purpose use).

    http://www.austinbike.com/mtb/comfort/index.asp

    There are no bad trails in texas, every trail has its own purpose. If you are thinking about things close t houston, realize that Austin has tons of trails, as well San Antonio has Government Canyon.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

    http://www.austinbike.com

  5. #5
    Got Mojo?
    Reputation: BikeMojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,190
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodyRoots
    Some friends and I (not amateurs) want to make a weekend out of riding and camping. I know that flat rock ranch has a campground and some very good trails, but we are looking for a little more primitive style of camping. We'd like to find some nice trails(30 miles or so) and ride till we get tired then set up our own camp and have a fire. Right now FRR is the best option we've got out there... or possibly Hill Country Natural Area. Anyways, let me know if you guys know of anything.. the closer to Houston the better.

    FYI, most of Texas is under a burn ban. I think you will be hard pressed to find any cycling/camping destination in Texas that meets your needs (right now).

    Jimmy, at FRR, has tons of firewood that he wants to get rid of. But there has been a burn ban for (?)two years.




    Anyway, my suggestion would be to camp at FRR (sans fuego), and hit the trails there, Gov't Canyon (Fri-Mon), Camp Eagle and HCNA.



    Closer to HOU there is, of course, Bluff Creek Ranch Warda, and Rocky Hill Ranch Smithville.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    301
    Yea I've been to Bluff Creek and Rocky Hill, but they didn't look like good camping spots (dont even think you can camp there). I've also been to FRR a few years ago but i went at the beginning of hunting season.. DOH. The burn ban is something I didn't even think of. From what it seems, FRR and HCSNA are the two front runners right now. I'm not so much of a racer (have a titus that barely gets used hehe) as much as i am a freerider/hukker. I like downhills much better than heartpumping uphills. FRR looks like it has some pretty hairy trails that would be fun to wipe out on. HCSNA is fun, has some nice downhills (if you don't mind the rocks + horse duke). Thanks for the replies so far guys.. keep em comin.

    Edit: NVM i havent been to bluffcreek before.. gonna have to research it.. looks pretty cool.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,220
    Just a heads up, here is a current Burn Ban map:
    https://tfsfrp.tamu.edu/wildfires/decban.png

    (edit: IMG was HUUUUGE so I just linked for your perusal pleasure).

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    301
    in the words of Borat "Very nice"
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD Special Blend with dropper post, hope/stans wheelset and hope x2/m4 brakes

  9. #9
    Got Mojo?
    Reputation: BikeMojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,190
    Quote Originally Posted by xterrain
    Where is Hill Country Natural Area? I live in the hill country and have beeen wanting to go ride and camp too.

    check it out..

    http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/f.../hill_country/
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    53
    What/where is FRR and government canyon? seem interesting...

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Swthrtsuzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    745
    FRR (Flat Rock Ranch) is in Comfort which is between San Antonio and Kerrville along IH 10. Never been there, but I hear tell that it's a great place to ride. GC (Government Canyon) is in San Antonio, and I know it's a great place to ride. You have the front country or the back country, and depending on your skill level, or how much you like rocks, there's a trail for just about anyone.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pedigre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    712
    Quote Originally Posted by REK23
    What/where is FRR and government canyon? seem interesting...
    Check out MountainBikeTx.com's Googlemap to see where exactly each is located. And you can check out the Trails page for more information about each (FRR is in the Hill Country (1), and GCSNA is in the South Texas Plains region (5)).
    Pedigre


  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by REK23
    What/where is FRR and government canyon? seem interesting...
    Here's the web site for Flat Rock. www.flatrockranch.net

  14. #14
    Chilling out
    Reputation: bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,989
    Rocky Hill and Warda both support camping, but conditions vary, and they're not what you can call off the beaten track.

    I'd +1 on FRR and +2 on Camp Eagle.

    Driving into Camp Eagle last December the Mrs and I saw a porcupine in a tree. Wacked!

  15. #15

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3

    Good job!

    you should go to cleburne state park and then dinosaur valley state park. some of the most technical riding in texas

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pedigre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    712
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Wetbike
    you should go to cleburne state park and then dinosaur valley state park. some of the most technical riding in texas
    um...I'm thinking not so much. Although both are excellent rides, I wouldn't put either of them in the top ten of Texas technical.
    Pedigre


  17. #17

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4

    Double Oak lake...

    Goto www.ghorba.org

    That's the Greater Houston Riding club....

    Lots of nice trails ... Woodlands, Conroe, etc...

    Hope this helps...

  18. #18
    Got Mojo?
    Reputation: BikeMojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Wetbike
    you should go to cleburne state park and then dinosaur valley state park. some of the most technical riding in texas

    I have made a weekend out of this ride. It was a great double-header.

    There is some very good stuff at Cleburne SP, on the other side of the spillway.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pedigre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    712
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeMojo
    I have made a weekend out of this ride. It was a great double-header.

    There is some very good stuff at Cleburne SP, on the other side of the spillway.
    Actually, throw in Solavaca Ranch (right up the road from Dino Valley) and make a triple-header out of it. I did Solavaca and Cleburne on Day 1 and Dino (since the mileage is greater) on Day 2. A great two days. If you hit Solavaca tell Mack hey.
    FYI: camping is available.
    Pedigre


  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    301
    I'm not going camping in the woodlands or in Conroe. Trails there suck anways Also, I'm a part of ghorba allready, my dad(I before him) maintains the cypresswood trails.
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD Special Blend with dropper post, hope/stans wheelset and hope x2/m4 brakes

  21. #21
    Got Mojo?
    Reputation: BikeMojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedigre
    Actually, throw in Solavaca Ranch (right up the road from Dino Valley) and make a triple-header out of it. I did Solavaca and Cleburne on Day 1 and Dino (since the mileage is greater) on Day 2. A great two days. If you hit Solavaca tell Mack hey.
    FYI: camping is available.

    Yup, Solavaca was not open when I was last up that way.

    I have heard good things about Solavaca. Lots of good riding in the area definitely a good weekend getaway.


    Quote Originally Posted by BloodyRoots
    I'm not going camping in the woodlands or in Conroe. Trails there suck anways Also, I'm a part of ghorba allready, my dad(I before him) maintains the cypresswood trails.

    I get a good smile just thinking of camping in The Woodlands. Is that like roughing it at Holiday Inn Express?
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    301
    I think that was the classic case of not reading the entire thread and posting some local spots to ride at. I've worn out all the trails around here, anthills, cypresswood, memorial.... it's been old for 4+ years now lol.
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD Special Blend with dropper post, hope/stans wheelset and hope x2/m4 brakes

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    22
    I ride out at Tapatio Springs a lot, more technical compared to Govt. Canyon IMO. Its in Boerne off of Johns Rd at the Resort.

  24. #24
    Got Mojo?
    Reputation: BikeMojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,190
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebeach
    I ride out at Tapatio Springs a lot, more technical compared to Govt. Canyon IMO. Its in Boerne off of Johns Rd at the Resort.

    Depends on which trails you ride at Govt. Cheeze.


    On a scale of one to ten, with ten being highest, the technical level of the trails out there are between 0 and 11.


    of course there is no camping there... But then again, I doubt they would let you camp at Tapatio....
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeMojo
    Depends on which trails you ride at Govt. Cheeze.


    On a scale of one to ten, with ten being highest, the technical level of the trails out there are between 0 and 11.


    of course there is no camping there... But then again, I doubt they would let you camp at Tapatio....
    True, you can definitely loop around at Govt. and hit some Technical stuff vs. Tapatio which is just one loop, which I usually do 2 of cause its only 6-7 mile loop out there.

    I'd set up a base camp at Flat Rock and try to hit Govt, Guad State Park, Tapatio and the surrounding S.A. stuff.

  26. #26
    Got Mojo?
    Reputation: BikeMojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,190
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebeach
    True, you can definitely loop around at Govt. and hit some Technical stuff vs. Tapatio which is just one loop, which I usually do 2 of cause its only 6-7 mile loop out there.

    I'd set up a base camp at Flat Rock and try to hit Govt, Guad State Park, Tapatio and the surrounding S.A. stuff.
    Good plan.

    Add to it with HCNA and Camp Eagle
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

  27. #27

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedigre
    Actually, throw in Solavaca Ranch (right up the road from Dino Valley) and make a triple-header out of it. I did Solavaca and Cleburne on Day 1 and Dino (since the mileage is greater) on Day 2. A great two days. If you hit Solavaca tell Mack hey.
    FYI: camping is available.
    great ride. i loved riding the see-saw haha. where can i find some technical stuff around the dfw area?

  28. #28
    TXAG
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    174
    I camped and rode the trails at Guadalupe River SP one time and was not impressed. It is all good if you enjoy rocky terrain but I much prefer nice flowing singletrack. To each his own I guess... won't be going back tho!

  29. #29
    Got Mojo?
    Reputation: BikeMojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Wetbike
    great ride. i loved riding the see-saw haha. where can i find some technical stuff around the dfw area?
    Check with some locals...

    DORBA

    and

    the Dirt Dawgs

    and

    Cow Town Cycling
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AustinShredman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    28
    Warda and Smithville both support camping. Both locations offer top level mountain biking. Trails are technical and fast. Smithville(known as Rockie Hill Ranch) has very nice shower accommodations.

  31. #31
    govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Reputation: ArmySlowRdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,167
    I much prefer BCRWarda's showers.

    Quote Originally Posted by AustinShredman
    Warda and Smithville both support camping. Both locations offer top level mountain biking. Trails are technical and fast. Smithville(known as Rockie Hill Ranch) has very nice shower accommodations.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2

    Good job! Check out Colorado Bend State Park

    ...between Lampasas and San Saba, about 2 hours from Austin or Waco. Primitive camping, great views, and miles of single track, more being added all the time. Fun, rocky stuff, not too rough but will keep you on your toes. Check out our trail project, cbsptrails.com.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pedigre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    712
    Quote Originally Posted by doobuh
    ...between Lampasas and San Saba, about 2 hours from Austin or Waco. Primitive camping, great views, and miles of single track, more being added all the time. Fun, rocky stuff, not too rough but will keep you on your toes. Check out our trail project, cbsptrails.com.
    Yeah, I'd like to check that one out sometime. And the weather is beautiful through Wednesday
    Pedigre


  34. #34

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    455
    Quote Originally Posted by doobuh
    ...between Lampasas and San Saba, about 2 hours from Austin or Waco. Primitive camping, great views, and miles of single track, more being added all the time. Fun, rocky stuff, not too rough but will keep you on your toes. Check out our trail project, cbsptrails.com.
    Hey doobuh,
    How many miles of trail do you have at CBSP? And how many miles do you expect to end up with? The wife and I have been considering a trip there but I don't know anyone who's been there. Looks pretty good on your website.

    Mikey

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pedigre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    712
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyLikesIt
    Hey doobuh,
    How many miles of trail do you have at CBSP? And how many miles do you expect to end up with? The wife and I have been considering a trip there but I don't know anyone who's been there. Looks pretty good on your website.

    Mikey
    Can't recall what the final length is to be, but if you click "weather" in my previous post you can get the current trail details.
    Pedigre


  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2

    Colorado Bend Trails

    Right now we have a little over 20 miles of single/doubletrack. We've been working on trails all winter, but are having to scale back work for awhile due to endangered bird habitats being in the area. We have several more miles of trail planned.

    It's a fun ride!

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Wetbike
    great ride. i loved riding the see-saw haha. where can i find some technical stuff around the dfw area?
    North shore in Grapevine.

  38. #38

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    455
    Quote Originally Posted by doobuh
    Right now we have a little over 20 miles of single/doubletrack. We've been working on trails all winter, but are having to scale back work for awhile due to endangered bird habitats being in the area. We have several more miles of trail planned.

    It's a fun ride!

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.