• 02-24-2012
    salimoneus
    Walnut Creek rent-a-beater
    Any chance someone near Walnut Creek Park in Austin has a beater that would fit someone around 6'? Will be coming in from CO and staying at a hotel within walking distance of the park from 2/28-3/2 without transportation. Was thinking maybe I'd try to do a bit of riding there on Wed/Thurs. Doesn't have to be pretty, and even a fully rigid is fine, as long as it qualifies as a mountain bike it would be much appreciated.
  • 02-24-2012
    austin_bike
    unfortunately I will not be available, normally I would show up with a bike and give you a tour.

try posting on bike mojo:

Austin VooDoo

There is a normal tuesday night R&I
  • 02-24-2012
    salimoneus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by austin_bike View Post
    unfortunately I will not be available, normally I would show up with a bike and give you a tour.

try posting on bike mojo:

Austin VooDoo

There is a normal tuesday night R&I

No worries, thanks for the tip!
  • 02-27-2012
    sooner518
    ill probably ride on Wednesday around 430 or 5pm or so. I can bring you my old Rockhopper hardtail (1998 model with an 80mm Marzocchi Bomber coil fork, v brakes and 3X8). Im about 5'11 and it feels pretty small on me (its a 19 inch frame) but itll ride and its in decent shape. i can give you a tour if you want. its got really crappy platforms on it because my wife rides it around the neighborhood.

Shoot me an email if you wanna ride. its my [username] AT gmail.com
  • 02-27-2012
    salimoneus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    ill probably ride on Wednesday around 430 or 5pm or so. I can bring you my old Rockhopper hardtail (1998 model with an 80mm Marzocchi Bomber coil fork, v brakes and 3X8). Im about 5'11 and it feels pretty small on me (its a 19 inch frame) but itll ride and its in decent shape. i can give you a tour if you want. its got really crappy platforms on it because my wife rides it around the neighborhood.

Shoot me an email if you wanna ride. its my [username] AT gmail.com

(I was actually just about to take austin_bike's advice and sign up on bike mojo to post over there, and just saw your post.)

Are you kidding me? I've got a '98 Rockhopper with brushed finish in 19" with a 'Zoke Atom Race fork on it, sitting in my garage as I type this. Love those hoppas :)

Much appreciate the offer, expect an email soon! :thumbsup:
  • 02-27-2012
    salimoneus
    1 Attachment(s)
    Here's mine, an older pic, now has riser bars and a 1x9 setup...

• 02-28-2012
    sooner518
    thats crazy man. you should feel right at home on my Rockhopper. Thinking about it, mine might actually be a 97.

I got your email and replied. Hopefully its not too wet tomorrow. we might have to postpone til Thursday.

(I would let you ride my old Superlight that you see in the background, but its in bad need of new bearings and DU bushings, and isnt exactly fully assembled at the moment)
  • 03-01-2012
    salimoneus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    thats crazy man. you should feel right at home on my Rockhopper.

Thanks again for the ride bro, was great to get out and hit some trails after escaping the cold and snow in CO. Enjoy that LTc, one sweet bike! Feel free to look me up anytime you're in the Denver area, beers are on me :thumbsup:
  • 03-02-2012
    sooner518
    Quote:

Originally Posted by salimoneus View Post
    Thanks again for the ride bro, was great to get out and hit some trails after escaping the cold and snow in CO. Enjoy that LTc, one sweet bike! Feel free to look me up anytime you're in the Denver area, beers are on me :thumbsup:

no problem. glad i could help.
  • 04-09-2012
    esgm1445
    Bikers and dogs can share the park

I live near Walnut Creek Park and have been going almost Dailey for 15 years. There didnít used to be a lot of bikers, but we had our fair share of perverts. When the bikers started to show up, it really improved the park. For the most part they are very nice, and seemed to have some kind of code. They would call out which direction they were going to pass you on, call out how many were coming behind them.
    Walnut Creek is one of the best dog parks in Texas, and it is a leash free park. When I was there Saturday morning I can across an elderly lady sitting in the road cradling her frail senior dog. Someone on a bike hit the dog and never slowed down or stopped to see if she was OK.
    Come on people, you are supposed to be smarter than the dog. If it was a child or an old lady, would you also hit them and just keep going?
    There is a spot further up the creek that is a gathering place for dogs and children. Any given Saturday there will be 20 dogs, and 15 to 20 kids playing in the water. Bikers come through there at top speed.
    Really?? You canít even slow down at this one spot? Would it really ruin your whole day to walk your bike past children?
    I want to repeat, most of the bikers in the park are extremely nice, polite, and civil. But I doubt the humanity of someone who could hit a frail dog and not even blink. These people are really making a bad image of Austin bikers. My suggestion would be to find the trails that are not so populated. There are many in Austin that requires dogs on leash. This is one spot where we can socialize our dogs so that they too can be good citizens.