• 04-25-2012
    Pelly_NH
    Walnut Creek (Austin) - What Tires?
    I've had solid luck with Kenda Slant Six (f/r) on a Trek hardtail. Just moved over to an Ibis Mojo SL that came with some Specialized rubber (Ground Control rear, Fast Trak front).

The Ground Control rear needs to go asap.

Curious if anyone has tried the Hutchinson Python, GEAX Saguaro, or Maxxis Ikon?

Any other tires I should be looking at?
  • 04-25-2012
    chainsawgeoff
    Schwalbe Racing Ralphs are some pretty kickass tires that are kinda along the lines of a Slant Six.
  • 04-26-2012
    ecthelion
    Saguaros did OK there IMO, as did the Aspens I had before that. Curious what you dislike about the Ground Control -- I'm thinking of trying them soon.
  • 04-26-2012
    Pelly_NH
    So far the ground control (as rear) just loses grip the second any type of rocky surface pops into a climb. The rear end tends to slide a bit too much when cornering at speed as well.
  • 04-27-2012
    Mr Bacon Jr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chainsawgeoff View Post
    Schwalbe Racing Ralphs are some pretty kickass tires that are kinda along the lines of a Slant Six.

+1- great front and rear. I am currently running the Racing Ralph in the rear, and a Knobby Nic in the front.Great combo for CTX riding.
  • 04-28-2012
    austin_bike
    I run a kenda nevegal (2.35 DTC) on the front for bite and traction in turning and a kenda small block 8 (2.35 DTC) for grabbing ledges and roots on climbs.

This combo has worked well on all of the central texas trails, but your mileage may vary. SB8's totally suck in wet conditions, but that is a problem for 2 weekends a year around here.
  • 05-23-2012
    Deko
    I found it too easy to find the edge of traction on 2.2 Nobby Nics on point 6...switched to 2.35 Nevegals and ----> no problem.