Walnut Creek - Austin

Printable View

  • 01-05-2012
    ronbo613
    Walnut Creek - Austin
    Austin area bike riders are fortune to have someplace close to the city to ride. Ask any mountain biker who lives in Portland, OR (mention Forest Park).





  • 01-05-2012
    ARCHAIC
    WC is a great place to ride! Especially coming from Houston.
  • 01-06-2012
    austin_bike
    Austin is spoiled in its riding choices.
  • 01-06-2012
    tex540
    Man, what an awsome day to enjoy some WC flow. I'm hitting it as soon as I can get out of the office.
  • 01-06-2012
    sooner518
    its a good place for a quick after work ride. its got some fun spots. no cmoplainin from me!
  • 01-06-2012
    Crazydad
    Definitely a great ride close to the office and home. I would have to say the log loop or extreme consequence loop are my favorite parts.
  • 01-07-2012
    ronbo613
    Quote:

    I would have to say the log loop or extreme consequence loop are my favorite parts.
    Here's a little section of the Severe Consequences Loop:

  • 01-07-2012
    Camel Toad
    I like the "bmx" loop on the north side of the access road leading in off Lamar - not sure if that is the real name, but that's what my friends call it so it works.
  • 01-07-2012
    pulpwoody
    Man, I haven't ridden out there since the summer. Maybe tomorrow.
  • 01-08-2012
    austin_bike
    woody, if you are on the GB, I will probably run into you
  • 01-08-2012
    pulpwoody
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by austin_bike View Post
    woody, if you are on the GB, I will probably run into you

    Well, if you're at WC, I'll probably run into YOU.
  • 02-02-2012
    Aggie_Biker
    What are the most beginner friendly parts of WC? My fiancť is brand new to mtbiking and I haven't done it in about 5 or 6 years, so it is pretty fresh to me right now too. We are trying to find level 2 ish stuff to ride right now, but I was wondering if there were some parts of WC we could ride since we have walked out there and LOVE it!! Thanks for the help.
  • 02-02-2012
    sooner518
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Aggie_Biker View Post
    What are the most beginner friendly parts of WC? My fiancť is brand new to mtbiking and I haven't done it in about 5 or 6 years, so it is pretty fresh to me right now too. We are trying to find level 2 ish stuff to ride right now, but I was wondering if there were some parts of WC we could ride since we have walked out there and LOVE it!! Thanks for the help.

    honestly, most of it is pretty beginner friendly. just avoid Endo Valley, and maybe the Windy Loop (although most of that is pretty easy, but it does have a few tougher sections).

    Theres nowhere out there where you will get into trouble as long as you have your eyes open. Maybe try the Point Six Loop. Thats really easy
  • 02-02-2012
    Aggie_Biker
    Thanks sooner. Was planning on going out there this weekend, but it looks like rain.
  • 02-03-2012
    sooner518
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Aggie_Biker View Post
    Thanks sooner. Was planning on going out there this weekend, but it looks like rain.

    you could probably hit it this afternoon if it doesnt rain today. i rode it yesterday and it was pretty dry for the most part. a couple muddy spots, but definitely rideable.
  • 02-03-2012
    Aggie_Biker
    We just got back from riding a bit of Purgatory Creek in San Marcos... we rode 4.5 miles and had a blast!! And we got back just in time because it is starting to POUR here... Maybe in the couple weeks I can make it up there.
  • 02-03-2012
    ronbo613
    Looks like significant rain tonight, see how it goes....

  • 02-03-2012
    jasonbo
    Was there last Tuesday and did windy and bmx and it was a bit slippery . But thats why its fun! That mud does stick to everything. took a good 30 mins of powerwashing to get clean. now for the bike.
  • 02-07-2012
    sooner518
    anyone have an idea if Walnut will be ok this afternoon? thinking of heading up there as Im off of work early today
  • 02-16-2012
    g00nther
    Nice trails, took me a little to find out the correct routes!
  • 03-15-2012
    BungSolo
    anyone know of a way to check the conditions of the trail (without loading up and driving down there) for mud etc?

    rained a fair bit recently, and im not really familiar with how long it takes this area to dry and im itching to ride.....but of course i dont want ride in the mud
  • 03-15-2012
    ARCHAIC
    Austin voodoo forum on bike mojo is probably your best bet
  • 03-15-2012
    ronbo613
    Maybe try RPR, mostly decomposed rock, Walnut Creek is dirt, which means mud when it rains
  • 03-16-2012
    baconismidog
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BungSolo View Post
    anyone know of a way to check the conditions of the trail (without loading up and driving down there) for mud etc?

    rained a fair bit recently, and im not really familiar with how long it takes this area to dry and im itching to ride.....but of course i dont want ride in the mud

    Always check these guys for Walnut creek conditions. They'll set you straight on all local trail conditions.

    Austin VooDoo

    And for the LOVE OF GOD don't ride any of our trails when they're muddy! :madman: It destroys the trail bed, causes massive erosion and gives bikers a really bad name in among trail users. One selfish, inconsiderate biker can get trail access revoked for all of us.
  • 03-16-2012
    sooner518
    i usually check Austin VooDoo. i rode yesterday and Walnut is good to go.
  • 03-16-2012
    d.wagner
    Probably will head out there today with my brother-in-law, either to the nut or the greenbelt (toys r us enterence) Ill Be there around 12... Probably the only people on a walmart bikes. See you on the trails!
  • 03-16-2012
    Aggie_Biker
    Thanks for the VooDoo link!
  • 03-16-2012
    Aggie_Biker
    I have been riding Purgatory lately and it seems to be dry in most places, but it rains so much here now it is really starting to get hard to keep up with it!
  • 03-16-2012
    BungSolo
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by baconismidog View Post
    Always check these guys for Walnut creek conditions. They'll set you straight on all local trail conditions.

    Austin VooDoo

    And for the LOVE OF GOD don't ride any of our trails when they're muddy! :madman: It destroys the trail bed, causes massive erosion and gives bikers a really bad name in among trail users. One selfish, inconsiderate biker can get trail access revoked for all of us.

    yeah yeah. i know. hence why i was trying to find out trail conditions. didnt want to load up, head down there, just to have to turn around if i encounter mud. i dont ride when its muddy.

    anyways, thanks for voodoo, looks like conditions are mostly OK as of last night, with just a couple wet spots. hopefully theres no more rain by monday and i can hit the trails
  • 03-16-2012
    jasonbo

    on the muddy days i take my other bike. Usally at night cops dont like chasing you out and you run over less dogs.
  • 03-16-2012
    baconismidog
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jasonbo View Post

    on the muddy days i take my other bike. Usally at night cops dont like chasing you out and you run over less dogs.

    Ahhhh, a troll. It's so refreshing to see trolls nowadays - they're so rare...:skep:
  • 03-29-2012
    June Bug
    This past Sunday did some trimming and lopping on BMX Loop and also gave the trail berms some TLC. Great turn out with 32 folks showing up for trail work.
    Also have been getting in some trimming and lopping on .6
    A caution on Windy Loop: part of the trail crosses and recrosses a slope, which is seeping water from all of this winter's rains. The best way to do Windy Loop is to turn right as soon as you cross the road bridge over the creek and go up the big limestone outcrop (water is running down it). Eventually you will hit another, shorter climb and keep going. Eventually, you will hit a very soft area with deep ruts. Turn around and ride back to avoid all of the muddy rutted areas. We will eventually armor most of this, but can't do it just yet.
  • 03-29-2012
    pulpwoody
    That's a great idea about windy loop June, and thanks for all the hard work out there, we all appreciate it.
  • 04-03-2012
    Adeptus_Minor
    I've probably ridden more at the Nut than anywhere else.
    Lots of flowy stuff for stamina work (argh... it kills me sometimes) and just enough technical stuff to keep it interesting.
    I need to get out there with the new bike this week.

    Oh, and thanks for the trail work, June. It's really appreciated. :thumbsup:
  • 04-04-2012
    BungSolo
    did about 7 miles yesterday early afternoon. was realy nice with overcast/breeze. lots of flowers. made me want to stop and hug a tree to be honest......

    i think i ate at least three silkworms
  • 04-09-2012
    esgm1445
    Bikers and dogs can share the park

    I live near Walnut Creek Park and have been going almost Dailey for 15 years. There didnít used to be a lot of bikers, but we had our fair share of perverts. When the bikers started to show up, it really improved the park. For the most part they are very nice, and seemed to have some kind of code. They would call out which direction they were going to pass you on, call out how many were coming behind them.
    Walnut Creek is one of the best dog parks in Texas, and it is a leash free park. When I was there Saturday morning I can across an elderly lady sitting in the road cradling her frail senior dog. Someone on a bike hit the dog and never slowed down or stopped to see if she was OK.
    Come on people, you are supposed to be smarter than the dog. If it was a child or an old lady, would you also hit them and just keep going?
    There is a spot further up the creek that is a gathering place for dogs and children. Any given Saturday there will be 20 dogs, and 15 to 20 kids playing in the water. Bikers come through there at top speed.
    Really?? You canít even slow down at this one spot? Would it really ruin your whole day to walk your bike past children?
    I want to repeat, most of the bikers in the park are extremely nice, polite, and civil. But I doubt the humanity of someone who could hit a frail dog and not even blink. These people are really making a bad image of Austin bikers. My suggestion would be to find the trails that are not so populated. There are many in Austin that requires dogs on leash. This is one spot where we can socialize our dogs so that they too can be good citizens.
  • 04-09-2012
    baconismidog
    @esgm1445

    that really sucks. Most of us are really cool, but there are d-bags in every group

  • 04-12-2012
    ronbo613
    Austin is a quickly growing city; every open space will be used by more and more people. There will be more rules and restrictions. Be thankful you have someplace to ride; sure it's not Moab, but it's a trail you can ride your bike on. If everybody can't get along and share the trail, somebody's going to be out. History has shown that when it comes to hikers, equestrians and bikers using trails, the bikers are the first to be banned.
  • 04-12-2012
    BungSolo
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by esgm1445 View Post
    Bikers and dogs can share the park

    I live near Walnut Creek Park and have been going almost Dailey for 15 years. There didnít used to be a lot of bikers, but we had our fair share of perverts. When the bikers started to show up, it really improved the park. For the most part they are very nice, and seemed to have some kind of code. They would call out which direction they were going to pass you on, call out how many were coming behind them.
    Walnut Creek is one of the best dog parks in Texas, and it is a leash free park. When I was there Saturday morning I can across an elderly lady sitting in the road cradling her frail senior dog. Someone on a bike hit the dog and never slowed down or stopped to see if she was OK.
    Come on people, you are supposed to be smarter than the dog. If it was a child or an old lady, would you also hit them and just keep going?
    There is a spot further up the creek that is a gathering place for dogs and children. Any given Saturday there will be 20 dogs, and 15 to 20 kids playing in the water. Bikers come through there at top speed.
    Really?? You canít even slow down at this one spot? Would it really ruin your whole day to walk your bike past children?
    I want to repeat, most of the bikers in the park are extremely nice, polite, and civil. But I doubt the humanity of someone who could hit a frail dog and not even blink. These people are really making a bad image of Austin bikers. My suggestion would be to find the trails that are not so populated. There are many in Austin that requires dogs on leash. This is one spot where we can socialize our dogs so that they too can be good citizens.

    this is absolutely horrible. And a good example of why i don't ride fast through walnut creek. it is used by enough people on foot that its really not safe to go hauling ass through it because its so easy to come around a corner and not have time to keep from hitting someone or crashing. still there are doooshes who only care about how their ride goes. I have no doubt this person who hit the dog is one of the same people who is rude to everyone on the trail. I've encountered several of them. the ones that yell at you to get out of their way, or just haul ass past you, or don't even acknowledge you when you give a polite greeting to them. Hell, i've even been met with a rude GLARE from a pair of guys, upon saying "how you doing?". It just enrages me. i don't understand what is wrong with people. when i'm outside enjoying the sun and trail, i'm in a great mood and i'm happy to see other people out enjoying the day. i ride at a safe pace and mind corners carefully because i know how many people are there, and i'm always courteous. I've almost been crashed into, while traveling at a safe speed, by riders who are determined to race these trails like they are the only people there. sure, i love to haul ass too, but walnut creek is just too busy to do it, a lot of the time.

    Like you said though, MOST of the riders are good natured there. Ive made it my last 4 rides without encountering anyone who is rude or overly aggressive on the trails.

    /rant
  • 04-15-2012
    spankbomb
    Is Walnut C reek easy enough for beginners? I'm just getting back into MTB after a decade long hiatus and am not in that great of shape either.

    Thanks!
    Jon
  • 04-15-2012
    austin_bike
    Yes
  • 04-16-2012
    tex540
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by esgm1445 View Post
    Bikers and dogs can share the park

    I live near Walnut Creek Park and have been going almost Dailey for 15 years. There didnít used to be a lot of bikers, but we had our fair share of perverts. When the bikers started to show up, it really improved the park. For the most part they are very nice, and seemed to have some kind of code. They would call out which direction they were going to pass you on, call out how many were coming behind them.
    Walnut Creek is one of the best dog parks in Texas, and it is a leash free park. When I was there Saturday morning I can across an elderly lady sitting in the road cradling her frail senior dog. Someone on a bike hit the dog and never slowed down or stopped to see if she was OK.
    Come on people, you are supposed to be smarter than the dog. If it was a child or an old lady, would you also hit them and just keep going?
    There is a spot further up the creek that is a gathering place for dogs and children. Any given Saturday there will be 20 dogs, and 15 to 20 kids playing in the water. Bikers come through there at top speed.
    Really?? You canít even slow down at this one spot? Would it really ruin your whole day to walk your bike past children?
    I want to repeat, most of the bikers in the park are extremely nice, polite, and civil. But I doubt the humanity of someone who could hit a frail dog and not even blink. These people are really making a bad image of Austin bikers. My suggestion would be to find the trails that are not so populated. There are many in Austin that requires dogs on leash. This is one spot where we can socialize our dogs so that they too can be good citizens.

    Although SOME parts of the park are off-lease areas (not the whole park) that does not mean it is an out-of-control-dog area. I can't tell you how many times I've had close calls or have been the subject of dog aggression in Walnut Creek as the result of the owners making NO attempt to control their dogs, or walking their dogs off-leash in areas where a leash is required. I try to be as courteous as possible, as I'm sure you will find most riders are, but that is a 2-way street. When you are out there with a dog or a kid and you see a bike wants to get past, at least try to get out of the way and make room for everyone. Between the almost total dis-regard for the leash rules and the little bags of s#!t everywhere. I think the dog walkers are their own worst enemy. :madman:
  • 04-18-2012
    shellshocked
    I live in Atlanta but spend a lot of time in Austin. I ride WC a couple of times a week and really enjoy it. Austin is lucky to have such a great place to ride. Pretty flat with some hills around the power lines - definitely a great place for a beginner to learn to ride and some tough sections for the die hard riders. A lot of dogs and walkers up in the front of the park and around the creek crossing but I mainly ride the backside across the creek. I just slow way down and recognize it is their park also and so far no issues. A couple of weeks ago I was out on a night ride on the log loop and a rider had his dog tagging along and the dog had a flashing red light on it's collar - very cool, smart idea and the dog was well behaved.
  • 04-18-2012
    BungSolo
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tex540 View Post
    ........ and the little bags of s#!t everywhere......

    i was wondering about this......is there supposed to be clean up people that come around picking that up? i would have assumed the dog walkers arent supposed to leave that behind.......its really lame. there are TONS of them.
  • 04-23-2012
    yetiman70
    I rode WC for the first time two weeks ago and loved it. Didn't really have any issues with dogs (just slowed down and made sure the owner knew I was approaching well in advance). I do have to say I noticed those little bags off to the side of the trail everywhere. I wasn't sure what they were. Now I know. Glad I avoided them during the ride.

    The great thing about WC, IMO, is that it is perfect for a beginner but does have some sections that can be challenging too. A good mix.
  • 04-24-2012
    jason333
  • 04-24-2012
    sooner518
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jason333 View Post

    went for a ride on my lunch today. the collapse is HUGE. it pretty much blocked the creek completely from flowing. this is the view from the main creek crossing.
  • 04-24-2012
    jason333
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    went for a ride on my lunch today. the collapse is HUGE. it pretty much blocked the creek completely from flowing. this is the view from the main creek crossing.
    ]

    WOW...There are normally tons of people right there.
    It didn't look near that bad on the news site.
  • 04-24-2012
    shellshocked
    Holy cow! I rode the backside today and thought about going to the creek but did not. I will go tomorrow just to see that.
  • 04-25-2012
    sooner518
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jason333 View Post
    WOW...There are normally tons of people right there.
    It didn't look near that bad on the news site.

    its WAY bigger than what you can see from that photo too. it is like that for probably 30-40 yards upstream on the creek.
  • 04-25-2012
    Adeptus_Minor
    Wow, I rode that today and saw the orange mesh and warning signs heading out to the main creek crossing, but I hadn't seen the news or the pics posted so I had no idea that had happened. Guess I should have looked to the right when I crossed the creek. :p