Waco trails?

Printable View

• 06-01-2011
    o0adam0o
    Waco trails?
    Is there anywhere to ride in Waco? Either mountain or road. Looking for something casual for some girls.

Im from Austin and meeting some friends from there and we want to do something "outdoorsy"

TIA
  • 06-01-2011
    oso
  • 06-01-2011
    o0adam0o
    Thanks!
  • 06-01-2011
    Hang 21
    Cameron Park is a great place to ride, but aside from the river trail, which is about a mile and quarter or so, most everything else will involve more climbing than someone may expect for a casual ride...depends on your definition. You may want to hit it anyway just because it's so much fun. The city just finished the Northern Gateway entrance and installed some awesome new misters that are great for cooling down. (Thanks to the genius or geniuses that got those added to the park reno plans.)

The concrete 'River Walk' starts behind the Ferrel Center at Baylor and can be ridden all the way to Cameron Park and tied into the river trail. You can also cross the river at the Herring Ave bridge (in Cameron Park) and ride the River Walk on the other side back down to either the Washington Ave bridge or the suspension bridge where you can cross back to the downtown/Baylor side. This is all flat concrete, with no chance of car entanglements, but it's also pretty boring.

There is a 2.8 mile hike and bike asphalt path across the Lake Waco dam - 5.6 miles round trip. Kinda cool because it goes right over the tall spillway gates that are operated by big gears and electric motors. Airport park beach is also right there if you want to swim - you can see it off to the right from on top of the dam.

A 3 3/4 mile trail loop also just opened in Woodway Park - at the opposite end of the lake down Bosque Blvd. It's a fun trail and mostly-shaded, but has just enough heart-pounding short climbs that you might not consider it an easy, casual ride.

There's also the 'Lake Waco' trails: Take Hwy 6 across the lake to the Speegleville Road exit. Right on Speegleville Rd to right on McLaughlin Road to left on San Ann road to trailhead. These trails are a combo of old closed park roads and about 4 miles of singletrack in the woods. Not much climbing here.

The Waco Bicycle club has trail maps on its website.

I don't ride a [email protected] bike at all, so have no suggested road routes.
  • 06-02-2011
    Pedigre
    Hang 21 pretty much hit it right on.

I can't provide anything for the non-dirty rides, but if you are looking for directions and such to the closer, worthwhile trails, check out the map.

For more info/pics/reviews/etc, you can check out the respective local trail listings (i.e. Cameron Park and Lake Waco Trails) here

A good piece of advice is to link up with the Waco Bicycle Club. A great group of riders that will gladly accommodate the type of ride you want and have regular rides, as well, and area always glad to help.
  • 06-02-2011
    ZachTX
    Quote:

Originally Posted by oso View Post

This.

It really is one of the best trail systems in the state, loads of fun!

I need to make a road trip soon...
  • 06-02-2011
    Pedigre
    If you plan to hit Cameron Park, I'd strongly recommend a 'tour guide' as it is easy to get lost, even with the really sweet trail map (linked on our trail listing). WBC will gladly give anyone a customized tour
  • 06-02-2011
    o0adam0o
    Good stuff everyone!
  • 07-27-2011
    starduks
    watch out at the end of cali 56(?) theres a sweet drop down to a switchback that i endo'd on breaking my hand. outside of that **** was alot of fun.
  • 07-28-2011
    queevil
    Quote:

Originally Posted by starduks View Post
    watch out at the end of cali 56(?) theres a sweet drop down to a switchback that i endo'd on breaking my hand. outside of that **** was alot of fun.

Crap! I did the same thing in the same place about a year ago. Just endo'd, didn't break my hand. Cameron Park is awesome. I just got back from my usual 11.5mi ride. I love it out there.