Visiting San Antonio and Austin late March-info needed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Visiting San Antonio and Austin late March-info needed

No Stickie and too tired from a long day of work to bother searching at the moment... If you're kind enough to respond or point me to a relevant thread I'd be grateful.

I'll be in San Antonio and Austin the last week of March and am looking for info on mtbing-both trails and places to rent a bike. Staying with my girlfriends sister in SA (northwest of town) and will likely go up to Austin for a couple of days (no idea where we're staying).

I'll have a car to get around and maybe 1/2 a day to get out, ride and get back so to speak.

I like technical single track (XC, AM, Trail; whatever you want to call it). Really just want to get out and ride and am not too picky.

I'll go alone or welcome anyone that would play guide.

Cheers,
    Aaron

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    For Austin look at AustinBike.com - Your home for Central Texas Mountain Biking. This site has lots of information. John may be available to show you some of the trails. For San Antonio check the San Antonio Wheelmen and the San Antonio Cycling Club. BikeMojo has a San Antonio forum.
    Rick Ankrum
    www.texbiker.net
    Texas Bicycling News, Events and Experiences

mtbr member
    your best bets for trails around Austin are:
    Barton Creek Greenbelt - the biggest trail system around austin. just south of downtown. the back trails are the best, and if you try to ride them alone, you WILL get lost. post up here or on bikemojo.com (Voodoo) to see if you can get someone to show you around. MTBR user Austinbike (same guy who runs that website linked above) is generally willing and able to lead a newbie around any trail.

Brushy Creek Trail - northwest of Austin. diverse, super flowy, some tech stuff but not ridiculous. you can find your way around somewhat, but you might need a guide. The trail Deception is probably the best and longest trail out there.

Walnut Creek - north Austin. flowy, not technical. very crowded on the weekends. there are decent maps available. you could probably ride it alone and find your way back to the car pretty easily.

City Park - west Austin. if you like super technical, rocky ledges/drops. not crowded at all. not terribly difficult to navigate but I would probably advise against riding it alone on your first time becuase youll likely go over the bars at some point.

There are a few others. I'd volunteer to show you around but I have a friend coming into town that week and probably wont be able to ride a whole lot. although I can generally do a quick Walnut Creek ride, since I live 2 minutes away. feel free to PM me when youre close to coming into town and maybe we can work something out

mtbr member
    you might not be around in time for he "official" ride, but there's a vast trail network in south Austin- https://thebigsouthie.wordpress.com/the-route/

Most of it is pretty tame with some rocky sections and creek crossings thrown in. it's a great way to get a lot of miles in without beating yourself up. if you want something around Austin that is more technical, try the Barton Creek Greenbelt, which starts just south of downtown, or City Park/ Emma Long. Walnut Creek is mostly pretty tame on the far north side and north-west of Austin has Brushy Creek, which is very XC-oriented with some good chunk.

My favorite places in San Antonio have been the Leon Creek Greenway (vast!), Salado Creek Greenway, and McAllister Park.

I think Bike World in San Antonio might have some mountain bikes to rent. they did when I worked there. Bicycle Sport Shop is the first store that comes to mind for renting bikes in Austin.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Read through this post for mostly Austin info about trails and rentals. Most of this info is on the austin bikes link above, and John is a stand up guy who has patience for people who are slower than him (like me). He likes to guide people around the Greenbelt if you give him notice. He'll probably chime in here soon.

The two best places to rent in Austin are Bicycle Sport Shop and Cycle Progression both on S. Lamar near the Greenbelt. links to both are on the link above and on austinbike.com. That's where to go for trail info too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Awesome! Thanx for the info. I'll check it out.

mtbr member
    If you are going to be saying in the North West side of SA you have to hit up Government Canyon. It might be another real close trail. Lots of climbs in the back country & pretty tamed more flat trails in the front country. I easily can get 25 plus miles out there. Trails are very well marked and be sure to get a map at the entrance. Its a state park to bring some money. $6 I think gets you in. Open Friday-Monday only.

mtbr member
    Govt Canyon is really lame with no good views I wouldn't waste a day there. For a real taste of cen tex's finest I'd hit Madrone Trail at Canyon Lake, City Park in Austin, then roll a lap of Goodwater Trail at Lake Georgetown. All three have great views and plenty of tech. Celebrate kicking butt with some Stash IPA.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Let me know when you are going to be in Austin. I work for myself, so I have a lot of flexibility (unless a client schedules a call). I ride pretty much every day and can show you the greenbelt (you need a tour guide) and city park, which you could also ride on your own.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    It looks like I'll be able to ride on Monday the 23rd of March while in Austin. Will be staying near downtown and for convenience I'm thinking of renting a bike from one of the bike shops near there and riding the Barton Creek trails.

While I don't mind 'getting lost' it'd be cool to have someone lead the way (best direction to take certain trails, etc.). I'll post up again the week before to see if anyone would like to play tour guide.

Thanks again for all the responses,
    Aaron

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Ping me about a week before. Bicycle sport shop is the best place to rent from, best selection, best proximity to the trail head.

I work from home and if I don't have anything going on that day I can meet you at BSS and take you and the bike to an alternate trail head that cuts out the first 3-4 miles of the trail. We can drop in where the fun starts, I know all of the trails and can be a pretty good guide.

Will know my schedule by about wed or thurs of the week before.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Cool. Will do.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    If you wanna Rent in San Antonio, check out Rideaway Bicycles, good selection of Giant Bikes, FS/HT. they're located right off loop 1604, so returning it wouldnt be hard when you come back from Austin, also if you wanna take a trip a little out west go to Comfort's Flat Rock Ranch.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Another ping for Flatrock. I see you're form SoCal. You will NOT find anything resembling San Juan or Nobel Canyon around here but Flatrock is still fun. Its just the opposite way from Austin. About an hour West of San Antonio.
    McAllister park is fun for a City park. It is as technical as fast as you want to go but it is FLAT and no real challenges. Just fun, fast singletrack. It's very close to Ride Away and those guys are quality. Good Demos as well.
    There is also a fairly technical (rocky) trail on the north side of Canyon Lake about half way from San Antonio and Austin. Madrone trail.
    I live on McAllister so if you ride San Antonio I'd be glad to show you around. Just PM me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bamwa View Post
    Govt Canyon is really lame with no good views I wouldn't waste a day there.
    To each their own. I personally love Government Canyon & the over look views of San Antonio. In addition to all the knarly rocks and technical skills required to stay clipped in over most of that stuff. But again that is just me. I don't think any trail around here is "Lame".

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I love GC, we do road trips down there at least once a year.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hey all,
    I see it's raining in the area over the weekend. How do the trails near Austin hold up/drain. Unless I hear otherwise I'm still planning on riding the Barton Creek trails on Monday.
    Thanks again for all the info,
    Aaron

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If it rains over the weekend the GB will be off limits, do not ride it if it is wet. The only thing that you could possibly ride in Austin might be city park. I was there this morning and it was wet in a few spots but rideable. A weekend of rain may even make that u rideable. Please check in here before trying to hit the trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Gotcha. Bummer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    What's the verdict? Riding tomorrow, go, no go?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Today was urban riding. Won't be on the trails until Tuesday.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Ended up riding City Park Tuesday morning on the advice of the guys at Bicycle Sport Shop. That's one heck of a fun trail! Pulled up as one other person was getting ready to head out and he mentioned that he liked to ride it clockwise so I followed suit as there was no one else around.

Even though I snapped a pic of the trail system before heading out I wasn't sure I'd be able to follow the main loop given all the little shortcut trails and the circuitous nature of the trail; but it turned out to be fairly easy as I simply followed the 'Wrong Way' signs-so this trail will forever be the Wrong Way Trail in my mind. Played around a bit but mostly HABed when I lost momentum climbing as I was on the clock.

Good stuff!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Glad you enjoyed it, we were there on tuesday night. This challenge on going the wrong way is that motorcycles use the track (they have priority, they built it) and they don't expect people coming head on.