Visiting Georgetown

Printable View

• 12-19-2011
    jnroyal
    Visiting Georgetown
    I'll be visiting Georgetown, TX next month and was wondering if there are any "easy" trails in the area. I've got a road bike with 28mm CX knobbies at my disposal but no mtb, and I'm worried that the Lake Loop is a bit much to tackle on a road bike. Especially with my lack of skills...

Also, do any shops in the Austin or San Antonio areas stock fat bikes? I'm hoping to test ride a ~20" Pugsley or Mukluk if I can find one. I know they're more common up north but there's got to be some folks riding these down there.
  • 12-19-2011
    Bill in Houston
    I have hiked at the lake, but have not ridden it. It seems like there is plenty that would be fine to ride with your CX bike. I don't think you are allowed to go all the way around, which is just as well. The south side would be, I think, overly technical. It seems to me like it would be a good place to ride. Lots of shade and several access points and good places to stop and rest.
  • 12-21-2011
    robert w
    Not to disagree with Bill, but Lake Gtown is rocky and famous for causing tire damage. I can't imagine a road bike would be much fun on those trails if you planned to get past the few sections of crushed granite that are close to the camping areas. From Georgetown, you could hit Walnut Creek Park in north Austin, which I used to ride on a rigid hybrid with no problem.

I "think" Gtown has a pretty long stretch of hike and bike trail that follows the san gabriel river - not technical, but I would think a beautiful ride.

Check out AustinBike.com for some good info on local trails.
  • 12-21-2011
    sooner518
    a lot of Walnut Creek could be ridden on a CX bike. thatd be the best suggestion IMO. probably only 20-30 minutes from Georgetown (if theres not a ton of traffic)
  • 12-22-2011
    Pedigre
    I'd agree with sooner, Walnut Creek is the ideal choice, but have a look at what else is around, if ya' like

If Google is being finicky (again), you can go straight to the map, here
  • 12-22-2011
    austin_bike
    Walnut creek if you want to ride, lake georgetown if you are looking for an excuse to buy a new wheelset
  • 12-22-2011
    ronbo613
    I haven't ridden all of the Lake Loop, but the parts I did ride were pretty darn rocky. I would have to agree with the other guys and say it would make short work of a 700c wheelset.

• 12-22-2011
    Bill in Houston
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ronbo613 View Post

i have to apologize for misunderstanding what "28mm CX knobbies" would be capable of, cuz that photo looks pretty non-scary. there is a lot of trail that is way worse than that out there, with lots of sharp edges and pointy rocks. thanks for coming to the rescue, everyone.
  • 12-22-2011
    austin_bike
    I have ripped 2 tires wide open out there, both 2.35" nevegals. There is a lot of volcanic rock out there, think of it as a huge stone brillo pad. Only worse. Somewhere I am sure that I have a picture of what it did to my knee. And I know I have a picture of what landing on a cactus out there looks like, but I will refrain from posting pictures of my ass.
  • 12-23-2011
    jnroyal
    Thanks for all the input, guys. I think I'll skip the Lake Loop but try to make it down to Walnut Creek Park.
  • 12-23-2011
    ArmySlowRdr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jnroyal View Post
    Thanks for all the input, guys. I think I'll skip the Lake Loop but try to make it down to Walnut Creek Park.

but..wait...billinhtown thinx it's tame (well I mean non-scary). :nono: kidding. after all he hadn't actually ridden it :D

that trail can put an ass whuppin on one. overlook hogg and russel sections are ok but still nothing to say easy about. and there are sections that are agony-inducing.
    for whomever commented--wrongo about thinking bikes are prohibited on some of the trail--entire way 'round the lake's all open to riding.
    last i was there there were a few ancient signs still up that might lead one to believe that however.

yes depending on one's POV, walnut is a much nicer ride. :thumbsup:
  • 12-27-2011
    hunrugger
    Agree with what most said - no way should you try LGT on a cross bike or road bike regardless of wheels and tires.

You should stick to Slaughter Creek, Walnut Creek, St Edwards (lower sections only), perhaps most of the main trail of Barton Creek, Dana Peak (Killeen). You could check out the Brushy Creek Regional Trail as well, make sure to check the singletrack trails that you encounter also. You can get 20 miles doing it both ways and the bonus areas, plus the singletrack (most of which is near the YMCA at 183).
  • 01-01-2012
    austin_bike
    I have ridden with a guy on a cross bike on the greenbelt. He blew me away. But I would not recommend it, he was hard core.
  • 01-02-2012
    sooner518
    rode the southside of Lake Georgetown last week. it is incredibly rocky in many many places. There arent any large drops or anything that will get you seriously injured, but there are a ton of rocks and a lot of them are sharp, volcanic rocks that are embedded in the earth. that would put a serious hurting on a CX tire/wheel.
  • 01-02-2012
    austin_bike
    Nothing to get you seriously injured? Hmmmm, I have some pretty bad pictures of me doing an endo on volcanic rock. And I think I landed on a cactus on that ride as well.