Visiting Austin Where to ride, What tires to bring?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Visiting Austin Where to ride, What tires to bring?

In a couple of weeks I will be visiting Austin. Wheres the best riding? Something that has a good mix of technical and speed maybe? What tires run best for Austin's type of riding?

Got Mojo?
    When the Austin folks pipe up they will tell you all the great things they have to say about Kenda Blue Grooves.

Me, I have fared quite well with Maxxis TT's

But depending on what type of riding you want to do... Fast or the good stuff... (you can ride fast anywhere) I would suggest something large and knobby.

aLaN
    from San Antonio
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I'm from Dallas, but was riding in Austin a month ago. There were two trails I hit, Walnut Creek and Emma Long.

If you like it fast, flat and flowing then Walnut Creek is a nice ride. Couple of creek crossings and a few short climbs mixed in.

If you like an adventure and more technical, Emma Long is awesome! This place has tons of rock, cliimbing, steps up and down.

I rode both trails on Weirwolf tires and they were great.

oxygen please
    Jul 2008
    I ride a Panaracer Rampage in the back (or a Nevegal) and a High Roller in the front, both 2.35 x 26. I would agree with BikeMojo, something knobby and large.

The 29ers are a different story.

Is this thing on?
    You really need to hook up with someone local to show you the Greenbelt...Blue Grooves rock, but I've moved on and now run the Kenda Eric Carter Excavators
    [[/B][/FONT]

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    drop me a note when you are coming. I can give you a greenbelt tour.

Blue grooves wear out too quickly, the new fashionable austin tire is a kenda nevegal.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike
    Blue grooves wear out too quickly, the new fashionable austin tire is a kenda nevegal.
    All Kenda tires wear out too quickly because they all shed knobs. They are great for that first couple hundred miles though.

There is a lot of loose-over-hardpack all around here, so something knobby is best. Nevegal was a favorite of mine, I am just sick of spending $60 on tires every few months.

And OP - of course, visit austinbike's site and read up there, he is also a great greenbelt guide and introduced me to much of the trail here just 3 years ago.

Members who have read this thread: 0