Visiting Austin Jan 30-Feb 2 with my MTB - anyone want to hook up?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Visiting Austin Jan 30-Feb 2 with my MTB - anyone want to hook up?

Hey guys,

My wife wants to visit a friend in Austin so we're taking the family down for 5 days.

Being that there's zero MTBing right now up here in Canada, I figured it's a great opportunity to get LOTS of riding in.

I'm shipping my 29er down along with my son's 24" Brodie Menace (discs and 4" fork)and I rented a minvan so we can escape frequently.

Based on excellent past experiences of hooking up with MTBR locals like Jeremy of NC http://www.mtngoatepics.com/, I thought I'd see if there's anyone looking to show us around to see some of Austin's finest.

I'm an advanced rider (Expert racer now 'retired') and my son, while only 8 years old, has already completed a two-man 8 hour race with me (he did over 3hrs himself) and is strong technically as per the attached pic. He can ride at an intermediate pace. Obviously, if longer more epic rides are planned my son will stay home.

Let me know if you can help a fellow MTBer.

Thanks

Fritz
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2004
    If your son can handle that, then all of Austin is your playground.
    City Park (Emma Long Park) is on the NW side of town and offers lots of ledge-y play area. It is the most technical that we have to offer.
    Barton Creek Green Belt (BCGB) is a great moderate ride that you can head from downtown and out to play back-country style, but you will need a guide to make this ride (can go from 7- 20+mi). This is a quite scenic, enjoyable ride.

Head over to bikemojo and introduce yourself and check for group ride calls...and avoid the shitstorms, they seem to pop up like thunderstorms in the tropics.

Also, read up over at the ever-revered www.austinbike.com, he knows his stuff and has everything laid out pretty well!
    Last edited by CharacterZero; 01-11-2008 at 09:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I can be your greenbelt tourguide. I get back into the country that wednesday so I should be around. Typically I ride the GB on sundays. I could take you to city park as well, but I am more of an XC rider and city park is more technical; I ride it, but there would be better tour guides.

My site has all the info you will need.

Chilling out
    You're also welcome to send me a PM and remind me, but I usually do my "silly long" riding on Sat (as in, I got a 40-ish mile ride done today between 8am-4:30pm), if for some reason austin_bike can't provide.

i could also connect for an *early* ride on the weekday, but you may not be into that. I'd have to ride before work, so that means *finishing* by about 8:45-ish-am. Ride location could be just about anywhere in town though (Emma Long Metro park, Walnut Creek park, Thumper, Barton Creek Greenbelt, other places).

Sep 2006
    Back when I was in Austin, I used to go out to Walnut Creek the most. I mostly preferred that one as it was an easy ride and fun for just messing around. But if you want more of an XC experience, definitely go Greenbelt. It is incredibly beautiful. It is also a hiking trail so watch out for the hikers, but in January/Feb, they shouldn't be too bad since you can't swim in the water at that time.
    Hope that helps,
    Matt

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads up guys - I'll definitely be sending PMs to potentially hook up.

Great site austin_bike. I really like that you included each location's driving distance within the summary. Adding pictures and videos is also handy for getting a feel of what to expect.

I read over the link of City Park/Emma quite a bite because it appears to be the closest MTB location to where I'm staying. Some pretty awesome looking endo pics you have there LOL. It looks a lot like the stuff we have here, very technical and almost trials-like with step-ups and drops etc. I'll be spending a lot of time there.

It also looks like Barton Creek would be a great place to take my son. Technical enough to keep him interested (he demands to ride some pretty gnarly stuff) yet flat enough for him to ride for awhile without tiring (he hasn't ridden much since November don't forget).

austin_bike, I'll definitely take you up on an offer of a Sunday tour of the Greenbelt. The city that I live in Ottawa, has a very similar concept with a greenbelt surrounding most of the city. Lots of trails in there as well.

bear, I'm also game on getting together. I usually leave for work at 6AM so early morning outings are possible. Otherwise a Sat epic sounds great. I wouldn't even mind driving an hour or two to see something new/unique. Are there any IMBA-Epics rides within a reasonable driving distance? Too bad that Canyon spot that austin_bike likes so much is too far away...

I'm looking forward to some sweet single track at the end of this month. The wide open skidoo trails like the ones I rode yesterday (below) get old really quick....
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    What's all that white stuff in the picture? Do you ride on cotton candy? I bet that gunks up the drive train.

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike
    What's all that white stuff in the picture? Do you ride on cotton candy? I bet that gunks up the drive train.
    naa, dissolves in water/sweat.

fritzman, just keep us posed.

I'll kibbitz that it sounds to me like your son is "main trail" Barton Creek Greenbelt ready, like you could probably wear him down by starting at Zilker and following the main trail up to the Hill of Life and back. Mostly easy trail, not really any elevation change, but enough rocks and roots (and creek crossing) to keep things honest. It does *not* sound like, from what you say, that he would necessarily have a great time off the beaten path. Doing that requires some significant distance commitment to the bump-n-grind. But, if he's gung-ho, let it roll man, let it roll.

City Park, ah sweet Lady Emma. I need to spend some more quality time with her. Haven't paid her a good visit in too long. Which means, really, I'll be featuring an endo there pretty soon. That's how it goes. I'll try to get a couple laps in before you're in town though so we can meet out there at least once before work and I can give you a bit of an initial tour of it.

Oh, if you go there with rigid frame or bike, take ibuprophen for after the ride.

"Clatto Verata Nicto"
    Feb 2006

Nearby Road Trips

Rocky Hill Ranch is less than an hour East of Austin. A twenty mile loop can be had by adding Extra Credit trail loops to the traditional 16 mile loop. There are bailouts for 6, 9, 10 and 12 mile loops and the 4 Extra Credit loops let you add milage to the loop of your choice. Challenging, flowing singletrack with technical climbs and roller coaster descents dancing through the Lost Pines. Print a map from the website before heading out there.

Madrone Trail at Canyon Park on Canyon Lake is less than an hour South. About 8 miles of fun, technical trail. Not much in the way of big drops, but a lot of embedded rock gardens and limestone shelf transitions along the route.

Muleshoe (LCRA Park) and Reimers (Travis County Park) are to the West less than an hour from many parts of Austin. Both are fun, flowing loops with just enough technicality to keep things interesting.

You can't go wrong hooking up with AustinBike or Bear as guides to the Austin trails!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    You can if you forget the beer

mtbr member
    Sorry austin_bike, I won't be able to bring any 'real' Canadian beer down south - but I'll be sure to treat you to some of that diluted stuff you southeners drink.

bear, yeah after seeing Emma and knowing that I'll be spending a fair chunk of time there, I decided to mount my 4" WhiteBro fork up front. Combined with my 2.4" 29er tires it makes for a pretty plush ride. Try to save at least one endo for me though eh?

Thanks for the tips TexReign, I'll be sure to add those to my list.

I'm packing the bikes tonight to ship them FedEx in advance of my flight (much cheaper that way). What kind of weather can I expect down there? How cold can it get? Does it rain much?

I appreciate all the help you guys have offered.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Well, most of us down here aren't southerners, 80% of austin is from somewhere else. I am a transplanted chicagoan, and the accent comes out a lot.

As for the beer, I will have spent the previous 10 days in dresden and munich, so no matter what I drink when I get back, it will never top what I have been drinking.

Bavaria (munich) is the capital of beer. Best consistency. No matter what you drink, it's incredible.

Chilling out
    if current patterns persist, lows in the high 30's highs in the low 70's are possible, this week's forecast is a little narrower with highs in the 50's. Too early to tell for 30-2.

I've been riding with two layers, plus arm and leg warmers, and long finger gloves (not insulated).

Got Mojo?
    You can if you forget the beer

John, if I'd have known I'd have brought you some of my Upper Canada stash... Lager and Dark Ale.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    How 'bout a case of Bradour?

Got Mojo?
    How 'bout a case of Bradour?
    You are going to make Fritz drive to Hull, just for a case of beer?

As for me and my Canadian beer, all I have is Upper Canada, but I can always pick up some Fosters.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Wow, Hull is a name I haven't heard in awhile.

Due to amalgamation, the whole area is all called Gatineau now.

There are no more bars on the main strip either. I spent many memorable nights there during my HS & University days.

Thankfully, for many young adults you can still get by purchasing beer in Quebec at one of their many depanneurs (where they interpret the 18 y/o drinking age to be merely a suggestion).

Besides the typical main breweries up here (Molson & Labatt), smaller microbreweries have come on strong. Sleeman and Keith's in particular.

Ironically, despite all the great selections we have up here I tend to favor Dutch Lager myself.

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by fritZman
    Wow, Hull is a name I haven't heard in awhile.

Due to amalgamation, the whole area is all called Gatineau now.

There are no more bars on the main strip either. I spent many memorable nights there during my HS & University days.
    So it is Gatineau now... What happened to the clubs on the strip?

I left Ottawa in 1992ish. Spent some time at Carleton... Here's another old name for ya... Olivers Pub at Carleton UC.

Thankfully, for many young adults you can still get by purchasing beer in Quebec at one of their many depanneurs (where they interpret the 18 y/o drinking age to be merely a suggestion).

Besides the typical main breweries up here (Molson & Labatt), smaller microbreweries have come on strong. Sleeman and Keith's in particular.
    Alf bless the denanneur!

Sleemans is tastey also. But I was drinking Upper Canada.... back when it was still a microbrew.

I never really rode while in Canada, so I cannot compare trails.... But I can tell you that Austin will not disappoint.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    They tore the bars down... too many late-night commotions apparently.

Yeah, Olis! Wed nights there were the best! I was at Carleton as well early nineties.

So are you going to join us for a ride when I'm down there?

Got Mojo?
    Yeah, Olis! Wed nights there were the best! I was at Carleton as well early nineties.

So are you going to join us for a ride when I'm down there?

I was at Carleton 86/87..... Started a Biochem degree, that I never finished.

I'll make a good effort to get out. Austin Bike (John) or Bear (Ted) lead a good GB ride.

John showed us around last weekend with nico2me from Delaware....

pix
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Kind of a double post from a Passion thread (http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=379059) but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss any of the guys I rode with.

I'm heading back to Austin Feb 2-7th and am hoping to hook up again.

Chime in if you're available/interrested in riding.

Looking forward to going!

Fritz
    www.ottawavelo.com - MTB & Gravel lifestyle in Eastern Ontario

www.thetexasoutdoors.com
    nice!! Your son is on his way
    www.TheTexasOutdoors.com

^^^ everything outdoors in Texas

mtbr member
    You should see him now some 3 years after that inital thread.
    www.ottawavelo.com - MTB & Gravel lifestyle in Eastern Ontario

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by srwhouston
    nice!! Your son is on his way
    on his way? He probably doesn't even consider that drop technical
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Kind of a double post from a Passion thread (http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=379059) but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss any of the guys I rode with.

I'm heading back to Austin Feb 2-7th and am hoping to hook up again.

Chime in if you're available/interrested in riding.

Looking forward to going!

Fritz
    I can ride on saturday, sunday I am on a plane
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

Members who have read this thread: 0