Visiting Austin- Mtbr.com

Thread: Visiting Austin

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Visiting Austin

I will spending the next week in Austin and was looking for some recommendations on places to ride. If there is a group ride that happens weekly somewhere that would be great. I am also thinking of renting a bike when I get to the area instead of bringing my own bike, could someone recommend a place that rents bikes as well.

noob
    i see mellow johnnys had group rides on the weekends. i checked out the shop when i was down there for the week
    2007 Fisher Rig
    2011 Trek Paragon
    2013 Trek Madone 2.1

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks for the reply I will check them out. Does anyone have any info on the Ridge Riders? I see that they have a ride every Sunday at a place called Walnut Creek. Looks like a great trail on youtube

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Lots of good info a couple of pages down. Look for the "moving to Austin" thread. I'd link it but I'm too new.

It'd probably help to know your comfort with rocky, technical trails. Walnut Creek is on the easy end of that spectrum, Emma Long (aka City Park) is on the harder end, with quite a few spots in between.

edit: http://forums.mtbr.com/texas/moving-...se-714525.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks anthonyk. I did talk to the rental shop guy and he told me the same thing Walnut Creek is considered a beginner trail and the Greenbelt trail that they have group rides on is more of an intermediate trail. I live in Tampa and they have some pretty good trails out here which are pretty technical. I'm not the fastest guy down the hill but I do like to challenge myself.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    All of the trail data that you need is on my site. Unfortunately I am in and out of the country right now so I can't offer a guided tour (it's a very busy season at the austinbike.com global headquarters.)

Also check out bikemojo.com in the austin voodoo forum, you can usually find people to ride with there.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks austin_bike I actually booked a bike for thursday from mellow johnny's. So I am going to try out the Barton Creek Greenbelt ride they have on thursdays, I am psyched hope the weather holds up

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    When are you going to be in town? I lead a Green Belt group ride on Thursdays. Check out the Austin Mountain Bikers on MeetUp.com. Intermediate level, but not a hammer fest as I assume MJ's would be. Good peeps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Sorry Phil, did not read my emails until today. I did make it out there Thursday morning and rode with a small group of 4 from Mellow Johnny's. Had a good time and enjoyed the trail. The only part that really hurt me was going up the Hill of Life, that was brutal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    No worries. Big group on Thursday evening. Honestly, if your ride leader took you up the hill of life you should be pissed. Lots of great single track you missed on both sides. Hill of Life Proper is basically a chundery easement for trucks to get to the creek.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by famorales View Post
    Sorry Phil, did not read my emails until today. I did make it out there Thursday morning and rode with a small group of 4 from Mellow Johnny's. Had a good time and enjoyed the trail. The only part that really hurt me was going up the Hill of Life, that was brutal.
    thats really weird they took you up the Hill of Life. theres single track that you can climb up to the top of that like right next to the HoL. Why anyone would want to go up that is beyond me.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    The hill of life is like non-alcoholic beer. All of the work, none of the payoff.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Oh well, I will know better for next time. Technically I did not think the Hill of Life was too bad I just do not have the stamina to go all the way up something like that, being a flat lander from Florida. I am glad I did rent a fairly heavy duty bike, with lots of travel, for all the rocks out there. I also saw that there is a Hill of Death out there what is that like?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by famorales View Post
    Oh well, I will know better for next time. Technically I did not think the Hill of Life was too bad I just do not have the stamina to go all the way up something like that, being a flat lander from Florida. I am glad I did rent a fairly heavy duty bike, with lots of travel, for all the rocks out there. I also saw that there is a Hill of Death out there what is that like?
    The HOD is less severe than the HOL but it's narrower and a bit looser. I think it used to be super narrow, just a regular trail width and I think that's when it earned it's name. It's been sanitized since that time, and now it's just a tough climb and loose decent.

Personally I enjoy the challenge of climbing straight up the HOL. The ledges, especially near the top after you're burning from the climbing are pretty tough. It's a good workout. That said, I rarely ride straight up the HOL, I usually ride all the trails to the north of it.
    =====
    bacon (is my dog)
    http://www.sbtec.com

Members who have read this thread: 0