• 03-06-2015
    hunrugger
    VIDEO:: New Drops added to Picnic @ Deception
    these are along the upper line on Picnic, about 100 yds west of Basket Drop, you approach them from the WEST.

    Don't try rolling these, you definitely need to launch. You can get away just carrying plenty of speed and slightly unweighting, but you should NOT roll down - you'll feck you up and you'll feck up our landings!

    Video never does this stuff justice, you got a 4 footer and 5 footer there. Good transitions though.

    Teaser video until I get the GoPro edit up in a day or two.
    http://youtu.be/6w9-VjPfmbU

    Subscribe and you won't miss the full edit.
  • 03-07-2015
    Awshucks
    Do you think hucks like those would destroy a ht frame?
  • 03-07-2015
    hunrugger
    VIDEO:: New Drops added to Picnic @ Deception
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Awshucks View Post
    Do you think hucks like those would destroy a ht frame?

    Nope, in fact a kid on an entry level Raleigh HT 29er saw us and joined us hitting the smaller one.

    We are going to go back soon and top off the transitions a bit, make them slightly higher and more gradual, at least on the smaller one. It was raining when we built them, so it was tough to work the dirt.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 03-08-2015
    hunrugger
    GoPro edit of the session.
    At the end, you can see the kid on the HT 29er hitting the smaller one.

    http://youtu.be/Yiu0kefQkXk
  • 03-11-2015
    sooner518
    ive seen people sloooooowly rolling down BasketDrop and ALMOST catastrophically going OTB. im worried people will do that on these (and others) and get hurt. any thoughts of putting up a sign or something warning people not to do that?
  • 03-11-2015
    hunrugger
    Basket is easily slow-rolled or hucked actually. Also, if you look at Basket and these drops - you can see that you CAN'T see the ground just below, so you should be comfortable with such features before proceeding. We can't fix stupid.

    Sign will only come when the county says it's OK, that time is very near. These are slightly off to the side - 90% of riders are looking down the trail they know or down the obvious way to go. When we get the go ahead for signs I plan to take the easy line route up higher and have a line to the drops with Black Diamonds and "Drops" signs here, but until then, it is what it is.

    This is mountain biking, people will crash. We could put signs up to tell people to wear a helmet, but those that won't, won't.
  • 03-11-2015
    dietz31684
    I like how the dog takes the drop too, nice shot of it at 4:25.
  • 03-11-2015
    sooner518
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hunrugger View Post
    Basket is easily slow-rolled or hucked actually. Also, if you look at Basket and these drops - you can see that you CAN'T see the ground just below, so you should be comfortable with such features before proceeding. We can't fix stupid.

    Sign will only come when the county says it's OK, that time is very near. These are slightly off to the side - 90% of riders are looking down the trail they know or down the obvious way to go. When we get the go ahead for signs I plan to take the easy line route up higher and have a line to the drops with Black Diamonds and "Drops" signs here, but until then, it is what it is.

    This is mountain biking, people will crash. We could put signs up to tell people to wear a helmet, but those that won't, won't.

    i tend to agree with you. just curious since these drops are really close to the main concrete path and im guessing the people who roll down Basket will think they can roll down these since they basically use the same rock feature.

    for the record, im all for drops like these. i love em and look forward to more of em.
  • 03-11-2015
    hunrugger
    The next big thing has begun. Should be ready to ride on Sunday afternoon...

    Deception de·cep·tion: The Next "Big Thing" on Picnic is Taking Shape...

  • 03-12-2015
    mack_turtle
    future edits need more slow-motion dog action!
  • 03-12-2015
    hunrugger
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    future edits need more slow-motion dog action!

    As dogs go, Addie is pretty damn hot. Josh is a lucky man.
  • 03-16-2015
    Dirt n Dust
    Can't wait for my next trip out there. I might even have a full squish by then so I can really enjoy these.
  • 03-16-2015
    Old-Goat
    The first drop.
    This is just from the first drop, thanks for the hard work guys!
    http://youtu.be/5in-CETgnys
  • 03-16-2015
    hunrugger
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Old-Goat View Post
    This is just from the first drop, thanks for the hard work guys!
    http://youtu.be/5in-CETgnys

    Fancy camera work old man. Nice huck. Now go hit it with the new longer smoother transition.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 03-16-2015
    Old-Goat
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hunrugger View Post
    Fancy camera work old man. Nice huck. Now go hit it with the new longer smoother transition.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Is the second one better? Has a penalty if you pull left!

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk
  • 03-17-2015
    MrMentallo
    Blocked for now. It's not much different than basket though. Just don't pull left. Also don't take hucks that are out of your league. There's no way I'm going to be taking the big one, I don't have the skill set or the bike to handle that one. The second drop was actually easier to take than the first one until the work done this past Sunday. Better roll out and easier transition.
  • 03-17-2015
    hunrugger
    New video of the drops, taken just an hour ago. Both drops are open again. The county does not have an official comment on the status of the second drop, but it was clear when I got there today. So, like others, I hit it.

    No silly music, just the sultry sounds of freewheelin and droppin

    https://youtu.be/y6GcdH-bOuk
  • 03-18-2015
    Old-Goat
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MrMentallo View Post
    Blocked for now. It's not much different than basket though. Just don't pull left. Also don't take hucks that are out of your league. There's no way I'm going to be taking the big one, I don't have the skill set or the bike to handle that one. The second drop was actually easier to take than the first one until the work done this past Sunday. Better roll out and easier transition.

    You were correct, number 2 is Butter Smooth!
  • 03-18-2015
    Old-Goat
    And now the second drop in slow motion, it is really Butter Smooth
    https://youtu.be/J0uJkc9VpDY
  • 03-26-2015
    hunrugger
    Not Picnic Drops and not really a drop, but a little ledge that's a lot of fun to hop, you can carry all the speed you would normally, it's just a little more fun and tech this way.

    Josh is first hitting it in the typical way with a slight pull.

    https://youtu.be/JucawPBKcSA