Video: Jack Brooks MTB Trails south of Houston- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2014

Video: Jack Brooks MTB Trails south of Houston

I moved to the Houston area back in July and sold my SC Heckler before coming here, thinking I'd have no need for a 6" bike in Houston. Shortly after moving I was pleasantly surprised to find out about a local trail system at Jack Brooks Park in Hitchcock. I ended up ordering myself a 2017 Whyte 905 and so far have ridden the Jack Brooks trails 5 times.

If you hit all the loops the total distance is just shy of 6 miles without having to repeat any 2 sections twice. That 6 miles will definitely test your endurance though. There are no long climbs or descents, however there are a ton of short and steep ups and downs which become very technical and challenging due to the gradient and size/amount of roots riddling the lines. There are also quite a few man made features like teeters, ramps, drops, bridges, berms, etc...

Overall this is one of my favorite trails I've ridden, which includes western VA and central Kentucky. If you haven't been to Jack Brooks and you're in the Houston area, I definitely recommend checking it out.

Here is a not so great video I made on my last ride this past weekend. As with all POV cameras, this does no justice to the terrain. You really have to get out and check it out for yourself.

If you don't have time or desire to watch the whole video, skip forward to about 8:20 which is my personal favorite stretch of the trails.

mtbr member
    Welcome to Texas! The video looks good and so do those trails. If you ever get over to Austin there are plenty of great trails with different terrain and challenges.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I'm pretty new to riding and this is one of the the trails I have yet to ride in Houston. Looks like fun.

Hitching a ride
    Nice video.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    How far drive from downtown Houston is this?
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Looks like about 45 miles from downtown. Did you ever make it down there and ride?

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Thanks for posting these videos. How difficult are these trails I'm pretty new and live in Louisiana but I'm in the crystal beach/Galveston area every now and then. I just rode some blue trails in this area and rode most of the trail ok, not great but still learning. Just curious how a beginner would do here.