Victoria, TX- Mtbr.com

Thread: Victoria, TX

thin blue line

Victoria, TX

Any Victoria riders out there interested in upgrading Coleto? I have already begun with some small wooden bridges to span mud holes, but if management would allow, I would really like to add some additional trails, berms, jumps, technical trail features (wood and dirt), etc. PM me if interested or if you would just like to go ride. Not many of us down here apparently and I for one don't care for the idea of riding solo in an area where humongous alligators have been caught/killed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Coleto

What do you guys have down there. I used to live in Victoria and all I remember are coastal plains. I'd love to make a homecoming ride.
    After 40, crashing doesn't hurt as much as getting up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DebKirk
    What do you guys have down there. I used to live in Victoria and all I remember are coastal plains. I'd love to make a homecoming ride.
    Coleto Creek State Park and Reservoir...supposedly a decent ride, though I have yet to have the opportunity to check it out personally.
    Pedigre

thin blue line
    Quote Originally Posted by DebKirk
    Just like Pedigree stated, Coleto creek. As of now, they have what consists of approximately 2 miles of "technical" trails meandering through trees along the lake side and another 2 miles of trail in and around what consists of a large "bowl" (roughly the size of a football field). The "bowl" portion of the trail consists of riding down into it and back out of it via small, steep uphill/downhill trails. Another 2 miles or so of trail exists, but as of this time, is still mostly just grass and as such, not very enticing.

Management of Coleto creek is very open to allowing riders the opportunity to make new trails and add features to those trails so a buddy and I have been trying to do just that. I hope to spend a full day out there this coming weekend adding new trails in the bowl area and new features to the old and new portions, such as berms, small jumps/drops, and if allowed, some wooden technical trail features such as you can find on the trail building forum within this site.

PM me if and when you are in town and perhaps we can take a ride.

Oh, and just so u are aware, the city's new hike and bike trail consists of nothing more than a concrete sidewalk leading from Airline near MHS to the intersection of John Stockbauer and Mockingbird (roughly). It is flat and completely devoid of features so don't let anyone lure you into thinking it is anything more. Riverside park, though pretty lame, still offers more diversity in terrain than the hike and bike trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Okay, well thank you for the response and I'll be in touch.
    After 40, crashing doesn't hurt as much as getting up.

mtbr member
    damn, I used to cover Victoria as part of my territory, wish I had know there were trails there... could have brought my bike to some appointments

thin blue line
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    damn, I used to cover Victoria as part of my territory, wish I had know there were trails there... could have brought my bike to some appointments
    Are you by chance the same Fat Bob who has the 29er website? Are you still in Texas or when you say territory do you mean that you just come to Texas for work?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I grew up in Victoria an still have quite a bit of family there and visit 3-6 times a year. I live in Austin now but I would love to do some trail building and have something to ride when I am down there, shoot me a pm with your contact info and we can talk more about getting together out there!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thoggard
    Are you by chance the same Fat Bob who has the 29er website? Are you still in Texas or when you say territory do you mean that you just come to Texas for work?
    No 29r website, just a lame blog. I'm in New Braunfels, but part of my job covered San Antonio to just outside of Houston, down to Port Lavaca... I had some good customers in Victoria. No longer have the job, so no real reason to head out there.

Gravity addict
    hey guys, my wife may be relocating down there and moving all of us with her. This has been the only promising post - the alligators. I'm dreading moving away from the mountains I have been used too. If we move down there I'd love to help out, hopefully we will get a house with some land so I can build some stuff (pump track- freerider stuff with a roll in) Hopefully I can get to know some of you before I move out. I won't know for sure for the next 3 months because she will be working as an intern there and may fill the job if all goes well. Anyways in the meantime goodluck and I will check in as we go.
    How's that dirt taste?

mtbr member
    it's always good to hear people wanting to help out Where would you be coming from?
    Pedigre

Gravity addict
    I'd be coming from the shenandoah valley Virginia...it will be a big change for us moving there. But we will make the best of what happens...
    How's that dirt taste?

mtbr member
    look at the bright side, too, you don't have to worry about the winter, though it gets chilly and sometimes rains more than the rest of the year, but other than that, no snow! Well, there was that one time...
    Pedigre

thin blue line
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedigre
    look at the bright side, too, you don't have to worry about the winter, though it gets chilly and sometimes rains more than the rest of the year, but other than that, no snow! Well, there was that one time...
    Used to be a time when I welcomed, heck even cherished, a bit of rain. Now, not so much.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. G.Orwell

Gravity addict
    Coleto Creek State Park and Reservoir...do any of you guys have pictures of this place? and to is this where alligators are? Heck I'm going from bears to alligators here at least you'll see the bear on the trail but an alligator will attack from the side from a hidden spot (not cool) anyways more info please!!!!
    Anyways I may just buy 2 acres and put a slopestyle kinda pumptrack freeride area on it with a huge roll in. But I wonder if the city or county would let me just build just that only on a lot, who knows maybe even fence it in and make it into a bike park for bmx and mtb's any thoughts on that idea guys?
    How's that dirt taste?

Gravity addict
    oh and photo's of Coleto could help me come up with some features for it in the mean time...
    How's that dirt taste?

thin blue line
    Quote Originally Posted by yakuzafreerider
    oh and photo's of Coleto could help me come up with some features for it in the mean time...
    Headed out there in the morning. Will get you some.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. G.Orwell

mtbr member
    Headed out there in the morning. Will get you some.
    If you post here, mind if I "steal" 'em?
    Pedigre

thin blue line
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedigre
    If you post here, mind if I "steal" 'em?
    Not a bit. Rode Prospect Park today. Phenomenal. Being from Victoria and not having any experience outside of Coleto, I thought McAllister Park rock line was pretty tough. Prospect makes that seem like a sidewalk. Bent my rear derailleur on first trip through, but luckily it held up for the entire ride. Also, who do you think I should go to for reimbursement on the flesh and blood I left behind on the rocks and trees? Whats with the vagabonds who reside on the cliff face about 3/4 of the way through? They're like those mountain climbing goats that you have no idea how they made it to where they did, but sure as hell, there they are.

If I can't figure out how to post those pics here, I'll send em to wherever you so choose.

mtbr member
    So ya' went with Purgatory, eh? Cool. Glad to hear it's still intact. As for the flesh and blood, consider it a sacrifice to the Trail Gods. lol You got me on the vagabonds. :P

If you can't get 'em on here, feel free to email them to webmaster at mountainbiketx dot com. Captions are always helpful, but not necessary...and you can earn free stuff!
    Pedigre

Gravity addict
    You can send those pics to my email to...is there any elevation change at all on the trail itself and what would you say would be the limit of a feature on a trail? I have a kicker ramp that even on a flat with a little extra help from a small decline I mean just a slight downslope you can easily get 5-7+ feet in the air and go about 20+feet but you have to pedal like a madman in the process. Anyways I found some land down there, but really curious to the bmx and dirt jumping scene there. If I purchase land I just wanna know if people would come out and ride, I'm talking a pump track on steriods, dirt jumps, freeride features and a dirt half pipe and of course a huge roll in maybe 20feet high, I have a 40lb freeride bike that needs a little help haha.... Anyways I will know more probably within 4weeks about the possible move and stuff.
    I just have this feeling "if you build it...they will come" LOL could always open my own bike park indoors or out, check out Rays MTB park the man had a awesome idea.
    How's that dirt taste?

Gravity addict
    Not a bit. Rode Prospect Park today. Phenomenal. Being from Victoria and not having any experience outside of Coleto, I thought McAllister Park rock line was pretty tough. Prospect makes that seem like a sidewalk. Bent my rear derailleur on first trip through, but luckily it held up for the entire ride. Also, who do you think I should go to for reimbursement on the flesh and blood I left behind on the rocks and trees? Whats with the vagabonds who reside on the cliff face about 3/4 of the way through? They're like those mountain climbing goats that you have no idea how they made it to where they did, but sure as hell, there they are.

If I can't figure out how to post those pics here, I'll send em to wherever you so choose.
    I opened a photobucket account, thats how I post pictures...
    here is a picture of my rig...
    " width="549">
    How's that dirt taste?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Good to hear someone else is willing to do some work out there. I have been wondering how those wooden bridges got out there. Only problem is with a big rain they tend to get washed away because that gully becomes a major drain from the neighborhood on the side.

I tried to attatch a map of the place. It contains all three of the original loops but I sure you have notice the 3rd loop is no more. The first two loops consist of about 4.5 miles.

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    By 3rd loop I mean the Dam loop.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    a few photo's of coleto creek.

I would not worry about the alligator's. I spent two years walking around the woods building this trail and I have never seen any. I have heard 'em splash into the water as I ride by. But that part of the trail you have a good view of where you are going. You do need to watch out for cottonmouths, there are plenty.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Victoria, TX-coleto-creek1.jpg  

Victoria, TX-coleto-creek2.jpg  

Victoria, TX-coleto-creek3.jpg  

Victoria, TX-coleto-creek4.jpg  

Victoria, TX-coleto-creek5.jpg  

thin blue line
    AWESOME! I knew those tire tracks couldn't be all mine. Reference the wooden bridges, I got to thinking about it a few hours after I left that day and it came to me that perhaps I should have dug out a small culvert underneath them to prevent washout. Haven't been back since, so . . . How often are you out there? I am planning on spending a day out there in the very near future; probably this Saturday or Sunday. I hope to construct some new trails (especially in the bowl area) and improve upon what is already there. Just wish I had some rocks If you so desire, PM me for contact info.

thin blue line
    Quote Originally Posted by yakuzafreerider
    You can send those pics to my email to...is there any elevation change at all on the trail itself and what would you say would be the limit of a feature on a trail? I have a kicker ramp that even on a flat with a little extra help from a small decline I mean just a slight downslope you can easily get 5-7+ feet in the air and go about 20+feet but you have to pedal like a madman in the process. Anyways I found some land down there, but really curious to the bmx and dirt jumping scene there. If I purchase land I just wanna know if people would come out and ride, I'm talking a pump track on steriods, dirt jumps, freeride features and a dirt half pipe and of course a huge roll in maybe 20feet high, I have a 40lb freeride bike that needs a little help haha.... Anyways I will know more probably within 4weeks about the possible move and stuff.
    I just have this feeling "if you build it...they will come" LOL could always open my own bike park indoors or out, check out Rays MTB park the man had a awesome idea.
    Would I, a seemingly grown man, pee my pants in anticipation of just being able to jump said ramp. You bet your butt I would, but I somehow can't see park management allowing a jump of that magnitude. The reason I feel this way is because upon asking if I could put some wooden bridges out there, I was told that each would have to be pre-approved prior to. Kind of makes me think they want to keep it "safe", but I could be wrong. Our new found friend Gary (he who can post pics above) could probably answer those questions with more authority considering he was apparently the trail maker. Speaking of . . . I have so many questions now. As far as the bmx and dirt jumping scene goes, I don't know that it even exists. But then, there are no places visible to the public where these folks could practice their sport aside from the "mini" pump track in the city park. For all I know, there are a whole clan of em off in the woods somewhere doing things with bikes I only see on TV. If you build it, I will most certainly come. I can think of a few of my coworkers that would also want to get in on some of that action, but as far as being busy all hours of the day? I just can't imagine that being possible. I will tell you however that a motocross trail on the southside of town has allegedly shut its doors due to a lack of customers. That could be all rumor, but I never once saw anybody out there. Reference the limit of a feature on the trail. I don't quite know. I hope there is not one. Again, maybe Gary could help us out with that.
    Last edited by thoggard; 02-18-2010 at 08:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    As far a building new trail, you need to contact Wilfred Korth. He is the man in charge out there. As mentioned earlier he is very open to mountian bikers you just need to let him know what you are doing on their land. Not sure if I will be out there this weekend but I'm gonna try.

There is a group here in town that will post rides on http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/VictoriaBikers/
    but they are mainly roadies with occasional mountain rides. Also, you have to have a Yahoo account.

thin blue line
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdober
    As far a building new trail, you need to contact Wilfred Korth. He is the man in charge out there. As mentioned earlier he is very open to mountian bikers you just need to let him know what you are doing on their land. Not sure if I will be out there this weekend but I'm gonna try.

There is a group here in town that will post rides on http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/VictoriaBikers/
    but they are mainly roadies with occasional mountain rides. Also, you have to have a Yahoo account.
    Yes, it was Wilfred whom I originally got approval from reference working on the trails. His response to my asking if work could be done was "work all you want". Super nice guy. Just out of curiosity, were you a part of the crew that did work with Dave Yates and Sam Eyre?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    When it comes to building jumps he will be a bit hesitant. The park has to worry about being liable. I'm not saying it's impossible but Wilfred is going to want to keep it somewhat "safe". I believe he still has to answer to higher authorities in GBRA.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Not sure about Dave Yates and Sam Eyre but there was a day when we had about 15 people out there. That was a long time ago and I can't remember all the names. That was when we had the Trail Docs out there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you build it, they will come. Guaranteed, 100%, no doubt. Just hope those that do come out are also willing to help out.

Gravity addict
    Thanks for all the info guys, I understand liability and all on the trail...we do have a city that has approved some light freeride stuff nothing as big as what I have that can be placed in my yard haha. Now if I can find land with some or little elevation that would not be too flood prone I would consider building a bike park there if we move. I would be looking for work somehow anyways and doing what I love to do would be nice, as far as getting others to help maintain it....thats easy - advertise the park, offer a lifetime discount to ride there if they are able to volunteer time each week to help groom the jumps and stuff. I'm talking 50% or more off what entry would be (something worthwhile) just for a quick idea. Now if it turns out and it is built on my home property it will end up being a freinds and invite only thing which is fine as well. Dirt jumping though really isn't as dangerous as the skatepark that is there....I'd rather fall on dirt than concrete....and many places are having dirt jump areas being built in parks, the thing is getting enough support from actual riders and show that it is worth while to do through parks and rec/ city as we have to do here for example, and even to invest into a business. Regardless of what happens if we move I'm building some stuff, so hopefully this thread will spark some interest and word getting around....and I can make some new friends before I arrive and if it turns out we don't move to that location hopefully someone will be creative enough to put something like it together regardless...thanks again for the info and pictures
    How's that dirt taste?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Here's an aerial from a couple of years ago. Glad to see there's some interest. Like Gary said, watch-out for the cottonmouths, gators haven't been a problem. I'd be glad to help whenever I can. The trail as it is now, isn't a destination, but more of a place the locals can get off the asphalt. I got into another sport so I haven't been out there much lately, but should be there tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Victoria, TX-2008-04-17a.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spiz
    Here's an aerial from a couple of years ago. Glad to see there's some interest. Like Gary said, watch-out for the cottonmouths, gators haven't been a problem. I'd be glad to help whenever I can. The trail as it is now, isn't a destination, but more of a place the locals can get off the asphalt. I got into another sport so I haven't been out there much lately, but should be there tomorrow.
    Did you create that aerial view?
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    That's a satellite image with the trail mapped out with a gps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdober
    That's a satellite image with the trail mapped out with a gps.
    did you put it together though? If so, is it possible to get it from straight above?
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Spiz put that one together so I'm not sure but I doubt it. He does have another image he took from a plane that is a little closer but I don't think he put the gps to it. I will ask him when I see him.

thin blue line

Coleto photos - maybe

Hopefully, some pics I got today while at Coleto will display following this msg. These "features" were all added today.i990.photobucket.com/albums/af22/hoggardt/th_IMG_0323.jpgi990.photobucket.com/albums/af22/hoggardt/th_IMG_0318.jpg

thin blue line
    Hopefully, some pics I got today while at Coleto will display following this msg. These "features" were all added today.i990.photobucket.com/albums/af22/hoggardt/th_IMG_0323.jpgi990.photobucket.com/albums/af22/hoggardt/th_IMG_0318.jpg

Dang it!

thin blue line

Try this again - one til i get it right

thin blue line

Don't know how to resize. Sorry.

https://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af22/hoggardt/IMG_0324.jpg?t=1267158417

thin blue line

@$*%

thin blue line

Last attempt

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    thog, those additions look great! Gunna try to get out there Sunday and try it all out.
    pedigre, will get you an overhead. Give me a couple of days.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spiz
    thog, those additions look great! Gunna try to get out there Sunday and try it all out.
    pedigre, will get you an overhead. Give me a couple of days.

very sweet thanks!
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Just ran across the course at the lake myself, new to biking. When I was there a month or so ago I found it pretty sad, nothing no ramps, nothing of any kind really, the trail was starting to grow over in a few places I tried riding it twice and both times ended up just heading to the road and heading back to my truck out of boredom. Im 100% for making that place into something, Its really convenient for me, living only about 15 min away.

currently I just ride around riverside and on that little trail there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    No there is not much with ramps, I don't care that much for ramps so I never focused on putting that much in there. For that kind of stuff you can get with Willie and Toby and they may help you out with it. Anyway if you are willing to work on some trail we would be glad to have you around.
    Actually now that I think about it there are three ramps on the course, maybe you missed them. Willie put two going thru the trees and Toby put one in the Pit.
    I also would consider Coleto much better than riding Riverside park.

mtbr member
    Well, I will give it a shot again this weekend probably, Im going to either go there saturday and Palmetto Sunday or vice versa, haven't decided.

If anyone wants to get together for a ride count me in. Im there pretty often, have my boat there, no prob to bring the bike too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'll try and let everyone know and maybe we can put together a ride. If we do I will post it to let you know. Also I will let you know if I head out there by myself. Usually we like to ride Sunday's but don't hold me to that.

mtbr member
    Im probably going to head out there this evening after work and check it out for an hour or 2.

mtbr member
    I went again today, and again quit when it got to the park road.

Its just feels tedious and monotonous with nothing to really see or do other than follow the little foot wide scar back and forth across relatively flat land. there are some hills and stuff, maybe 2 or 3, but the other 98% of the time it feels like peddling back and forth across a pasture.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    That looks fun, I'm glad there is a trail in Victoria, I will be transfering there for a year starting in July.

mtbr member
    I have access to a small mountain of pallets, can be use to make ramps, or whatever out there to give the place more flavor, probably around 1000 pounds of wood total, if anyone is down for a construction project let me know, I can also provide some cordless saws etc etc..

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Wow guys. I grew up in V-town, fishing and skiiing coleto... but didnt get into biking until I moved to houston in 99 (and now live walking distance from memorial park I just happened to do a search for victoria texas mtb trails and found this. Had no idea all those trails were in coleto!

Probably influenced by the memorial park trails here in houston, I've always wondered if the victoria park would have potential for trails along the guadalupe river banks. I think they might be too steep and sandy in general, but I haven't looked at them very hard.

thin blue line

I'm in

Quote Originally Posted by ja001son View Post
    I have access to a small mountain of pallets, can be use to make ramps, or whatever out there to give the place more flavor, probably around 1000 pounds of wood total, if anyone is down for a construction project let me know, I can also provide some cordless saws etc etc..
    I'm in. I have wanted to make something more of Coleto from the 1st time I rode it. I rode Jack Brooks Park in the Houston area today and after having seen some of the "flavor" that trail has to offer, know we could do something similar at Coleto. Of course we will probably need access to a bobcat or front end loader and permission from mgmt. I will PM you with my phone #. If nothing else, perhaps you can just join us for our periodic out of town trips.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    You can PM me too, if you are able to get a work day together. If I am off work (Rotating 12hr shift), I would be ready to pitch in.

No Knuckle Crew

Still Riding Down There?

I live in Amarillo TX and typically ride Palo Duro Canyon, maybe heading down to Victoria in a couple of months for some work. I was looking around to see if there were any great spots to ride and seems like there are a few places. Tracking though the threads it looked like you guys were planning to do some work down there to get some features up, did that take place.

Appreciate it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I went to Victoria High (gone now) in 86 grew up in Refugio now live in Sugar Land.I din't know there were any mtg bikers there!? I have lots of family there also.I have a lot of time on my hands and would be glad to help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Awesome, I didn't know there were trails out there...I just wish there was something "in town" though

Members who have read this thread: 0