Vacation spots good for riding?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Vacation spots good for riding?

My wife and I are considering taking a few extra days off around Thanksgiving to take a mini in-state (or nearby state) vacation. We plan on bringing the bikes and maybe camping in the tent for maybe 5 days or so. We're located in Austin.

I raced in Ruston, LA a few weeks ago and really liked the trail and campground. That's an option, even if it IS a 7 hour drive.

Any suggestions? We've never been down to Big Bend (also a LONG drive). How's the riding down there. Will the temperature be comfortable enough to sleep in the tent for a week in late November?

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by hallin222
    We've never been down to Big Bend (also a LONG drive). How's the riding down there. Will the temperature be comfortable enough to sleep in the tent for a week in late November?

Terlingua would be a good trip.

It would be difficult to predict weather. It is desert. I would pack a heavy sleeping bag and possibly take a tent heater. Daytime temps would probably be perfect for riding.

The Lajitas trail system is right there, fun desert singletrack. Also there is Big Bend Ranch State Park...

Call Mike or Crystal at Desert Sports, they have the hook up on the trails in the area.

Also be sure to check out La Kiva while there. I am sure that they have something special in order for Thanksgiving.

p.s.
    there is a fellow here in SA who is considering the same trip....
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Got Mojo?
    p.s.

there is no off road riding in Big Bend National park.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeMojo
    p.s.

there is no off road riding in Big Bend National park.
    Eff that! I might just go back to Ruston. That was my favorite trail/course of the fall race series. My wife was sick that weekend and didn't ride/race. I'm anxious to see how see handles Tomac Hill.

mtbr member
    Cameron Park in Waco then on over to Tyler State Park (nice camping cool little trail) then east on I-20 to Monkey Trail (just a little south of Shreveport) then on to your Ruston!

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by hallin222
    Eff that! I might just go back to Ruston. That was my favorite trail/course of the fall race series. My wife was sick that weekend and didn't ride/race. I'm anxious to see how see handles Tomac Hill.
    Ruston is a very special place. Beautiful camping, facilities and trail.

Quote Originally Posted by xcdude
    Cameron Park in Waco then on over to Tyler State Park (nice camping cool little trail) then east on I-20 to Monkey Trail (just a little south of Shreveport) then on to your Ruston!

A Ruston/Tyler State Park/Cameron Park trifecta! Good call.

I have heard of the Monkey trail, but never ridden it.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Keep racing. I find it a great excuse to travel and ride various places. There are many lil gems in TX that you'll end up at.

It's only about 9 hours to Cloudcroft, NM from Austin... 9000ft elevation.

mtbr member
    But you'd probably run into snow at Croudcroft. I say go hit Waco, Tyler, and Ruston. I rode Tyler on Christmas day two years ago and was the only person in the park.

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by xl_cheese
    Keep racing. I find it a great excuse to travel and ride various places. There are many lil gems in TX that you'll end up at.

I'll second that. I have visited many places that I would never have even known about...

Lajitas to Ruston, Bar H to X Bar... And new this year, Camp Eagle.

Quote Originally Posted by Oregon
    But you'd probably run into snow at Croudcroft. I say go hit Waco, Tyler, and Ruston. I rode Tyler on Christmas day two years ago and was the only person in the park.
    Girl, you still hangin' in this Texas Forum?
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Oh, for now. And just for you:

Toto, I don't think we're in Texas anymore.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Monkey Trail then South to Alexandria

I have ridden the Monkey Trail the last few weekends-----very fun course----there is a Trail Run (half marathon or full) coming up one of the weekends in November. The Monkey Trail is about 20 minutes south of Shreveport. If you get a chance, go about 1.5 hours south on I-49 to Alexandria (Kisatchie National Forest)----there are some fast trails down there. I should be shot-----I have friends and family that live in Ruston and have only ridden Lincoln Parish Park twice in my life Have fun----there are some pretty nice people in North Louisiana!!!!!!! Hope to see you on the Monkey Trail or maybe in Ruston for Thanksgiving.

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregon
    Oh, for now. And just for you:

Toto, I don't think we're in Texas anymore.

/blatant envy
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xl_cheese

It's only about 9 hours to Cloudcroft, NM from Austin... 9000ft elevation.
    Cloudcroft is a great place to go in the summer. It makes a nice cool weather getaway when you are sick of the Texas heat. The girlfriend and I went up there around the first week of August and it was so nice. Highs in the upper 60s/lower 70s and lows in the upper 40s.

There are a lot of other neat things to do besides riding. The drive down to Alamogorda is really fun. White Sands is awesome. If you like gambling or horse racing, head on over to Ruidoso Downs. I won $38 on the nickel slots and left there with $37 of it (paid for dinner that night and breakfast the next morning).

For most anybody coming from the central part of Texas heading to NM, its likely that you'll pass through Carlsbad. If you haven't been to the caverns, do yourself a favor and go. That was the best $6 I even spent. Also do yourself the favor of taking the natural entrance tour rather than the elevator ride down. Cool stuff.
    Get on your bikes and ride!

Members who have read this thread: 0