UTEP trails action alert- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

UTEP trails action alert

These trails are in trouble.. Meeting on monday the 19th of Feb.. In the parking lot across from the special events center.. Be there or you just suck.. We need for people to show and support us in our quest to save these trails.. They are awesome techy trails.. Good for beginner DH/freeriders to learn.. please show you [email protected]

roughrider69

Ride On!!
    Those trails are slowly dissapearing, Me and that guy alex are the only ones that ride them anymore. Since the rains there is a lot of overgrowth, but are still rideable. No matter what they do those trails will always be accessable , its not like they are gonna spend the money to fence that whole area off + all the wood is really old and creaking now anyways, but there are some really cool metal brackets they custom made.....anyways i will be there monday if i dont get called in to work.....Who found out anyways, I thought utep already knew about those trails, shoot the utep police would always wave at us as we rode in, and rotc jog those trails all the time,,,,,,,,laters

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    some [email protected] put the trails on you-tube.. They can close em if they want, and ticket you if they catch you.. They will not always be accessable unless we do something now.. I agree, the wood is in bad shape.. The admin saw the damn vid and got pissed.. I know the trails need work .. Thats not the point, we dont need to have any trails closed.. They will close'em if we dont act now.. Hope to see ya monday..

Ride On!!
    I agree , i will be there , or try if i dont have to work like I said ....i never thought the video was a bad thing , I just wish now i wouldnt have said utep on it ., When was the last time you rode there ??

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    awhile.. I was wantin to thow dow some bigger stuff there though.. I like that place, we cut our teeth on those trails.. We will put up a good fight..

Ride On!!
    Thanks again for the info mtn. goat , and sorry again about tagging the video with uteps name, I never thought anyone cared about the trails...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Its cool .. Whats done is done, maybe we can move forward.. I hope, keep yur fingers crossed.. We will find out today.. I will update everyone asap.. peace

Ride On!!
    I am having a feeling that you (mtngoat) and me will be the only ones at this meeting or whatever it is, I dont know why they would want our input if they were so upset originally....

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    ????????????????????????????? got me yo.. see ya at 1....

Ride On!!
    Well by the looks of how many people replied to this post about saving the utep trails, i can tell like anything else in this town, getting people involved to save those trails ,or even build trails, isnt gonna be eazy. For one thing, I would have to say that a big percentage of mtn.bikers in this town ( EL PASO ) wouldnt be able to handle the technical that utep has to offer anyways without putting a foot down every couple of feet !!! . I agree with you mt.goat that it really can improve your technical skills by riding those trails, it has mine over the years! Too bad that anytime you try to do something different in this town you usually get shot down by the idiots that are one sided....Thanks for the memories anyways UTEP trails, and thanks also to those trails for all the free concert seats and football game seats.....and sorry for letting the cat outta the bag!, sorry t & j !!! .

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

it aint over yet!!! We still have to find out whats goin on.. no worries.. We will do the fight iffn we have to.. I will call today and get back atcha..

Dec 2006

only hurting yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Heckler10812
    Well by the looks of how many people replied to this post about saving the utep trails, i can tell like anything else in this town, getting people involved to save those trails ,or even build trails, isnt gonna be eazy. For one thing, I would have to say that a big percentage of mtn.bikers in this town ( EL PASO ) wouldnt be able to handle the technical that utep has to offer anyways without putting a foot down every couple of feet !!! . I agree with you mt.goat that it really can improve your technical skills by riding those trails, it has mine over the years! Too bad that anytime you try to do something different in this town you usually get shot down by the idiots that are one sided....Thanks for the memories anyways UTEP trails, and thanks also to those trails for all the free concert seats and football game seats.....and sorry for letting the cat outta the bag!, sorry t & j !!! .
    You can go your whole life riding where you are not supposed to...but for crying out loud keep your mouth and videos off the internet. Don't expect me to ever share where I'm riding. Is the need for internet fame more important than the joy of getting away with something for 20 years without a hassle.

Ride On!!
    What good is a trail to talk about? Arnt you supposed to ride trails?, Look I feel bad enough about what happened without the peanut gallery, Shoot I ride 5 days a week or more, and am sure there is no trail in this area I dont know about, or havnt made myself! There are several new trails in town on both sides of the mtn. but DAMNED if I ever open my mouth again about hidden spots!!!!!! I am sure this great town of El Paso would have far better riding if we had more doers instead of ramblers/wankers.......Get your panties out of wad utep!!!!.

Dec 2006

Use the telephone

Quote Originally Posted by Heckler10812
    What good is a trail to talk about? Arnt you supposed to ride trails?, Look I feel bad enough about what happened without the peanut gallery, Shoot I ride 5 days a week or more, and am sure there is no trail in this area I dont know about, or havnt made myself! There are several new trails in town on both sides of the mtn. but DAMNED if I ever open my mouth again about hidden spots!!!!!! I am sure this great town of El Paso would have far better riding if we had more doers instead of ramblers/wankers.......Get your panties out of wad utep!!!!.
    You missed what I was trying to tell you. I was riding behind UTEP in 1988 on my first mt.bike (a yellow rockhopper before front shocks were invented) I put in several long trails out there and me and many friends met there to ride for years... before Tom and John started living out there putting in 911, suitcase,etc. In the areas heyday 30 plus riders a day went out there and were completly unnoticed for years. I rode out there 6 days a week for over ten years.
    Next time you find a really "sweet" spot to ride tell all your friends. Tell all your friends to tell their friends, but try that old technology the telephone.
    I'm not judging you, it's your riding area to get kicked out of. I last rode out there two years ago and the rains washed out all the trails and loops I enjoyed. My panties aint in a wad but yours will be when the UTEP police start hassling you. I know you are sorry..just learn from it and keep the new riders from making the same mistake.

Ride On!!
    Thanks for clearing that up, I didnt mean your panties are in a wad, I meant UTEP...The way I see it utep would have to get their police on mtn.bikes or horseback to do any type of secureing those trails. I am still peddaling in and enjoying. I say good luck finding out where I am pedaling in from, and also good luck catching me if you see me........Most of the outback is on asarco land anyways.................RIP UTEP, (or just keep telling people that!!!)

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    hopefully it will be a park.. Keep yur fingers crossed.. The lady i talked w/ is talking w/ the officials.. Like i said it could be a good thing.. i hope.

Sweep the leg!
    I never rode anything near UTEP. But when I was there 9 years ago I rode up the Trans-Mountain highway, past Elephant Rock to a park on the western side. I spent the day riding on some really great trails before having to ride back uphill to go east. It was getting dark just as I got back to the main gate.

So are those trails still open? It'd be a shame if they were closed.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

Ride On!!
    Thats Tom Mays State Park

Jun 2007
    Sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead, but I started mountain biking very recently and without knowing I came across the utep trails and I have to say that they are awesome. I love all those skinny bridges and teeter totters. I didn't know you are not supposed to be out there. One of the Utep cops saw me one time but didn't say anything. Well I usually go to the trails about twice a week, usually tuesdays at 5:30 and Saturday mornings.I have only come accross one person out of the estimated twenty times I have been there. Anyways, I try to move loose rocks and cacti out of the way whenever I can. I love those trails. I hope they are not destroyed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I am glad to see someone out there.. The trails need a bit o work.. They are really god to learn techy stuff.. Maybe i will see ya out there son.. late

Members who have read this thread: 0