Utah to Austin?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Utah to Austin?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Utah to Austin?

Sooo... obviously being used to riding Porcupine and the Wasatch Crest over the past 15 years, TX is no comparison, but seems like Austin is pretty decent for trails (by Texas standards anyway). Will I lose my mind and move back to UT within the year if I move there? Dallas born and raised FWIW.

I climb for the descent but love all kinds of riding, just not the V02 Max crowd/culture. I can pedal pretty OK though.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Austin does have great riding but as you expect it's different than what you're used to. We just don't have the elevation, so trails roll up and down and the good stuff (IMO) tends to be rocky. This makes for short and often technical climbs followed by short descents. Rinse and repeat.

As a rider who is relatively new to the sport I've found that the technical level of the trails in and around Austin make for good preparation to go other places.

The best thing you could do is come out for a long weekend of riding with a local guide. I'd probably recommend a day at Reveille Peak Ranch, a day at Colorado Bend State Park, and a day with a good guide on the Barton Creek side trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    as above. if you can ride the technical spots in Austin, you can ride anywhere (once your lungs adapt). i havent had a problem from Colorado to British Columbia, from single track to bike park, applying the skillset I developed here. You will not, however, get the same scenic views that are part of the reward where you are from haha.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    you'll learn great skills in Austin, specifically technical climbing and descending, you just won't get the epic two hour descent with jaw-dropping views like @ porcupine. Austin will give you a plethora of amazing trails within a one hour drive radius tho

meh... whatever
    welcome to texas! i visit utah a couple times a year to ride.

there are trails similar to porc as far as singletrack, and even some of the rocky terrain (reveille peak ranch), but it is definitely different.

cameron park is also an excellent place to ride and about 90 minutes or so north. hit me up if you want a guided tour.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    You can find all of the data you need on our trails at:

AustinBike.com - Your home for Central Texas Mountain Biking

When you get to town ping me and I can take you to some of the trails. Most are easy and you can just drop in and ride, but we have a few that you really need a tour guide for in order to not miss all of the good stuff.

I have gotten my life to a point where I only have to work a bit so I ride 6-7 days a week and can generally be pretty flexible in terms as long as I have a heads up.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike View Post
    You can find all of the data you need on our trails at:

AustinBike.com - Your home for Central Texas Mountain Biking

When you get to town ping me and I can take you to some of the trails. Most are easy and you can just drop in and ride, but we have a few that you really need a tour guide for in order to not miss all of the good stuff.

I have gotten my life to a point where I only have to work a bit so I ride 6-7 days a week and can generally be pretty flexible in terms as long as I have a heads up.
    Sweet thanks yall! Took the job so I will be there early November. Stoked to come home to TX, and be in a more outdoorsy culture than what I grew up with in Dallas. Hoping for the best of both worlds.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Your timing will be spot on as far as temperatures go!!

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Nice thing is in Austin the winter is pretty nice from what I hear..
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    Riding the greenbelt on a foggy winter morning is indescribably peaceful.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    Summer is not bad, once you get used to it. I am a Chicago native and don't mind riding in 100F heat because it's way better than sitting on a couch.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike View Post
    Summer is not bad, once you get used to it. I am a Chicago native and don't mind riding in 100F heat because it's way better than sitting on a couch.
    Yup I used to get after it all summer long as a kid, I'm sure I can still handle the summers. Stoked to escape living in the snow and ice!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The other guys summed it up nicely although I don't get the obsession some have with RPR as that particular place is pretty low down on my list.

Anyways, plenty of good quality challenging riding but without the open vistas and really long downhills of some other places. Austin really does prep you well for any other place.