Tyler State Park confusion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Tyler State Park confusion

At the beginning of October, I visited Tyler State Park for the first time and rode all of the loops. Trail reviews had referred to a number of good drops and jumps on the advanced loops, but I didn't come across anything like what was described! There was a super fast downhill section on Loop D, but I don't recall any of the 4-5' drops or jumps that were described by others. Is there a side-section that I might have overlooked or have the trails been tamed?

If anyone is familiar with this trail, I'd appreciate your knowledge on the subject.
    Thanks!

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I've only ridden there once and there is none of what you speak of nor do I ever recall that trail ever being mentioned as having such. What it does have is awesome flow as I recall.

mtbr member
    You're right about the flow. It's a very fun trail and I can't wait to break my bike in there. I met a rider on the C loop who told me D had some crazy features to look forward to. I think I read elsewhere about the drops, but wasn't disappointed in the least by what I found.

since 4/10/2009
    keep in mind that Tyler SP is a xc trail plain and simple. the advanced loops get you some gnarly xc stuff, but it's still all xc trail.

Knowing the way you like to ride, I'd guess that your (and probably mine, too) interpretation of the word "drops" is different from the person describing Tyler State Park. I've ridden those trails a few times and have not seen any drops anywhere.

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Its a few miles from my house; I ride it all the time. The trail reviews are definitely exaggerating... but there are lots of roots that you can hit and bunny-hop if you want to jump.

mtbr member
    I'd love to live that close to a trail like TSP. Consider me jealous. It's a two hour drive for me.

mtbr member
    Last time I rode their I ate an under cooked burger for lunch and ended up throwing up 3 times before I finished the ride. Good trail though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I rode it for the first time 2 days ago. First trail ever on my first mtb ever. Are the TSP trails considered easy, mid, or hard for typical XC trails?

mtbr member
    The State Parks website gives it a 1-3 rating, meaning that it offers easy to advanced trails. Their description is as follows: "Tyler is one of the top mountain-biking destinations in the state, offering challenges for all levels. The Pineywoods terrain includes hills, loops, and wildlife viewing opportunities."

I've only ridden it once on my 8-speed dirt jumper and was able to complete A-D loops. Granted, it taxed me and there were a few sections where I had to hike due to poor tire grip on rooty, rocky ascents. I'd say that during the incredibly hot and humid summers, the longest loop would be challenging and dangerous to someone unprepared.

I can't wait to hit it again on my new AM bike and really be able to enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    There is a duathalon there on Feb 11 that I want to try. I'll be riding there as much as I can over the next couple of months. It's a 45 minute drive, so not bad for a Saturday morning.

mtbr member
    Is it the kayaking/biking race? It looks really fun. I'm 2 hours away, otherwise I'd ride it much more often.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    No, this one is trail run 2.5, bike 10, run 2.5. There's one in March at TSP that has kayak/canoe. I'm not sure about paddling anything yet, so I'm sticking with the dry land stuff.
    There's also one in March at Lake Grapevine that I'm looking at. It's also land-lubber only (run, bike, and "mystery events"). My Mom lives in Grapevine, so it's an easy trip for me.