Tyler State Park- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Tyler State Park

I got to ride this trail for the first time over the weekend. For anyone that can travel out east should diffenetly ride this trail. It has a lot of rocky fast parts and really tough climbs. This is one of the best trails I have riden.

since 4/10/2009
    It's more or less local for me. Certainly the best trail I've ridden in the Pineywoods.

meh
    nicest thing is that its ridable when all the dfw trails are mud puddles

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    nicest thing is that its ridable when all the dfw trails are mud puddles
    Is it the pine needles or the hills that keeps it so dry?

It's a bit of a drive for me (Denton), but man is it a fun track! I hope we get another Tyler Speedwaves this fall.

meh
    soil type i assume

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Park Rangers told me it's because of the sandy clay mix and the fact that it has a fair amount of rock and hills and everything drains down to creeks with bridges so you never really ride on standing water.

My son and I road out there a couple weeks ago when all the rain pushed through on Friday night... were were there at 2pm on Saturday riding loops A and B then camped the night and played some more on Sunday. When I called at 9 am Sat they said the trails were fine.

We are definitely going to make a few more trips there, it's only an hour drive for us.

since 4/10/2009
    yeah, the soil type makes a huge difference. sandy soils allow water to absorb very quickly. the soils in Tyler are not as sandy as the soils in my neck of the woods (which are so sandy that they're actually BETTER to ride when wet), but there's enough sand content to allow infiltration rates to be kept high.

the rocky sections are just durable and don't make mud, that's obvious.

topography makes a big difference, too. slopes encourage a good deal of surface flow of water before infiltration. So when a raindrop hits the ground, a steeper slope will encourage it to move farther before it soaks into the ground. This balances with the infiltration rate of the soil and rainfall rate to keep the water from just sitting around on the trail.

soils with large clay or silt content impede infiltration because they can pack and form impermeable barriers much like concrete. add slight topography and you're going to wind up with spots where the water will not flow off the trail and where infiltration is extremely slow and you wind up with muddy spots. trails where this occurs would benefit from building the trail tread above the ground level, which of course is an expensive proposition. heavy organic content in soils absorbs and retains water, too. this also encourages mud.

silty and clayey soils that get muddy tend to stick and pack up tires and stuff. organic mud tends to be really sloppy. adding sand can help increase infiltration and adding clay can help keep problematic soils together.

I'd have to say that a mix of clay, sand, and rock is about as good as soil can be for bike trails. the clay helps hold the small particles together, the sand allows water to soak in, and the rock provides a matrix to keep it all in place. As long as the trails are built right in the first place, you have the makings of some very durable trails.

XC racer
    May 2005
    Just a little TSP historical note...the first trails there were conceived and built years ago by James Ramsaur while a college student in the area. He went on later to design and build the trails in Lincoln Parish Park in Ruston, Louisiana where he is the park superintendent. The similarities in design (and fun factor) are obvious when you visit both places.

mtbr member
    +1 on the Ruston spot. That is a very fun trail to ride. Haven't ridden TSP since the early 90s when the Texas State series went thru there!

since 4/10/2009
    I keep hearing good things about Ruston. No wonder - designed and built by the same guy.

Slower than you...
    I haven't ridden this trail in 2-3 years, but I'll be in the general area in early July. I'm going to see the folks, who live about an hour from there. The last time I rode the trail, it was a stacked-loop configuration (A-D). Has anything changed (new mileage, features, etc) since then?
    Start slow, then taper off.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tdhood View Post
    I haven't ridden this trail in 2-3 years, but I'll be in the general area in early July. I'm going to see the folks, who live about an hour from there. The last time I rode the trail, it was a stacked-loop configuration (A-D). Has anything changed (new mileage, features, etc) since then?
    It's still a stacked loop...but my first visit there was about that long ago. I honestly had little idea where I was at the time. So I couldn't remember one way or the other what may have changed in the meantime.

meh
    I agree with ClezeripLover

Single Speeder
    Yes, unfortunately...things have changed.

The trail is constantly being sanitized by the park employees. It's still a good kick in the balls to ride A thru D, but many of the difficult (and fun) roots, rocks, ruts get smoothed over...why I have no idea.

I guess for the ****** bag hikers that are always leaving their trash on the trail .

Still the best trail around, though...we ride it several times a week .
    "There's little traffic on the extra mile".

Slower than you...
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Bike Sucks View Post
    Yes, unfortunately...things have changed.

The trail is constantly being sanitized by the park employees. It's still a good kick in the balls to ride A thru D, but many of the difficult (and fun) roots, rocks, ruts get smoothed over...why I have no idea.

I guess for the ****** bag hikers that are always leaving their trash on the trail .

Still the best trail around, though...we ride it several times a week .
    How bad's the sand this year?

Single Speeder
    How bad's the sand this year?
    I've never thought the sand was much of an issue on the actual trail, aside from a handful of spots.

Now if you ride the easy loop on the other hand...might as well ride on the beach .
    "There's little traffic on the extra mile".

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I go to Tyler every other month for a week at a time to complete job training. Is this a good trail for a novice to ride alone? I would like to bring my bike with me next time I go.

Thanks

Slower than you...
    Quote Originally Posted by enfield View Post
    I go to Tyler every other month for a week at a time to complete job training. Is this a good trail for a novice to ride alone? I would like to bring my bike with me next time I go.

Thanks
    The EZ, A & B loops are pretty mild, C & D are more technical - but nothing likely to kill you. It's a stacked-loop configuration, so there are easy(ish) exits if you're outta gas.

Trail Map

On Edit: I see from your profile that your favorite trail is Lake Bryan. I've ridden both trails & can say that if you can ride the East Loop at Lake Bryan without dying, you'll do fine in Tyler.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    The EZ, A & B loops are pretty mild, C & D are more technical - but nothing likely to kill you. It's a stacked-loop configuration, so there are easy(ish) exits if you're outta gas.

Trail Map

On Edit: I see from your profile that your favorite trail is Lake Bryan. I've ridden both trails & can say that if you can ride the East Loop at Lake Bryan without dying, you'll do fine in Tyler.

Great!
    Thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0