Trials, know any activity in Houston area?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Trials, know any activity in Houston area?

I've transfered from socal and considering the limited terrain I'm searching for options to keep cycling stimulating. At mid 50's, not looking for jumps as much as skills and finesse.

Any tips appreciated
    '10 Marin MountVision 650b conversion

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Some trail information for you.

Welcome! I am a Houston transplant as well so i feel your pain. There are a few trails here in the city. No real climbing to be found (obviously), but surprisingly flowy and high speed. More of a cross-country blend. I ride the trails on anything from my rigid single speed to a 140 29er.

If your looking for rocks and technical texas Hill country is a nice day trip away (think austin/san An). Ledge short technical climbs and drops provides a good challenge.

But that's not want you asked. What side of town you reside?
    I'll refer you to a few different places. Most the major trails have active facebook pages with weekly group rides to help you find the flow. Most are 10-13 miles long at faster average.

Greater Houston Off-Road Biking Association
    Local organizer, lists all the regional trails and a short description.

Cypress Creek (Northwest)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/CCMTB/
    Cypress Creek Facebook group (up north). One of the larger active trails. Fast, flow, not alot of roots. Located nearby and similar but slightly tighter is cypresswood.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/257582277543/

Memorial Park (Inner Loop)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/MPmtb/
    located in the heart of houston. Rooty trail, one of the most technical for houston. High traffic though as there are alot of runners as it a popular park.

Anthills (I10 West)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/534322359952442/
    Located in the bayous, fun, rooty, short steep climbs, small drops. Personal favorite.

There is also some outside trails such as jack brooks, huntsville up north as well as double lake.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I just moved to League City in mid July, coming from the Fort Knox, KY area. Before moving I sold my Santa Cruz Heckler because I assumed there was no use for a 6" travel bike in Houston.

I recently got an itch to get back into mountain biking and found out about the Jack Brooks trail in Santa Fe. Picked up a new bike last week and I plan on hitting it this weekend.

Let me know if anyone else is interested in checking it out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'll be getting my stuff to town shortly, so you'll hear from me. July move, brutal!!!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I went down to the Jack Brooks trail this morning and it is legit. no long climbs or descents but there is plenty of short and steep ups and downs, very technical because of the large roots and gradient. a few man made wooden technical features like teeters, beams, walls/berms, drops, etc... everything had a path to go around if you aren't comfortable with that.

the loop i did was just about 5 miles. the first mile or so and the last .5-.75 mile is very challenging but in between there is plenty of flowy hardpacked singletrack with enough roots/rocks/features to keep it playful and fun.

this was honestly probably my favorite set of trails I've ridden, I'm stoked it's only 15 minutes from my house. I never imagined there would be a MTB spot like that so close to Houston.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Good job!

Not exactly in the Houston area, but close enough, Rocky Hill Ranch has always been a popular day-trip for Houston riders.
    It can be reached from I-10W to Columbus then Highway 71 to Smithville, or, out 290W to Paige then South toward Smithville.

Bluff Creek Ranch is in the same area and only slightly closer than RHR, located on Highway 77 between Giddings and La Grange, and has some fun trails as well.

These are the two oldest MTB Ranches in Texas and both have camping and RV hookups available.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for the assist

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Check out MTB Project (website and phone app) for finding trails. I was looking and there are a number of places to find singletrack in and around the Petro Metro.

I finally got my first taste of Memorial Park yesterday with a seasoned tour guide. It has quite a few challenges. More than I expected to find there. Good times.