Trek Remedy?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Trek Remedy?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Trek Remedy?

is the trek remedy too much bike for houston tx? i do plan on traveling around Texas to ride but i primarily ride houston and surrounding area trails so should fuel ex 8 be just what i need? just enjoy the extra travel of the remedy, im more of a freerider not so much xc.
    just thought id ask since im upgrading from a hardtail

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Disclosure: I work for Trek but have extremely little to do with their bikes. I design and build their trails and features.

I own a 2008 Remedy and have ridden it in Terlingua and central Texas. For most trails in the Austin area, it's overkill. An EX 8 is just as capable on our trails like the Greenbelt, City Park, etc.

However, if you're looking for an all mountain/FR type bike that can do XC trails adeptly, a Remedy fits the bill. I have no complaints about mine and am about to take it apart to detail it and replace the drive train.

D

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If you're staying around the Houston area with occasional trips to other close by destinations I'd personally go with the Fuel. Nothing in Houston really warrants 150mm of travel. My 4" SC Superlight handles everything here superbly, though a few spots in Austin I thought 120 up front would be a bit better. If you ever plan on taking a trip to a destination that's rougher though then get the Remedy if that's what you really want. It may be overkill, but it still won't be a sluggish turd either. I'm fairly light so 100mm is just fine for me, and if I go to a place where it wouldn't be enough I'll just rent a bike that suits the local trails better.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    a remedy would be a bit much for houston. admittedly, a hardtail is more than enough for pretty much everything in houston. if you do like to travel, a full susser would be a better bet, though more along the lines of the Fuel.

with that said, all my bikes are hardtails, and my "long-travel" bike is an Evil Sovereign hardtail with a Fox Talas.

you say you're a hardtail guy... Houston does not warrant an "upgrade" to full suspension. in fact, it would lend itself to the opposite.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    thanks you guys for all the input, and it all makes sense and im thinkin the remedy is a bit much. Ill probably be forkin' out the dough for the fuel thanks fellas

TXTony
    I do not live near Houston but live up here in Ft Worth..been riding a Specialized Enduro around here and all over Texas for the last four years...I have struggled with this bike on trails with serious climbs..just to much for most things around here....settled on a new Trek Fuel and so far a much better ride for the type of trails we have around here

Members who have read this thread: 0