Traveling- Mtbr.com

Thread: Traveling

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Traveling

If traveling thru the San Antonio area which bike would u choose for a quick ride along the way? I can bring a road bike and just pass on any off road action, 26" or 29" HT, or 5" FS.

Rohloff
    Quote Originally Posted by gnslr
    If traveling thru the San Antonio area which bike would u choose for a quick ride along the way? I can bring a road bike and just pass on any off road action, 26" or 29" HT, or 5" FS.
    I think the best trail around San Antonio is Flat Rock Ranch. It's a little ways outside of San Antonio but it's worth the drive. I'd recommend the 29"HT.

http://www.flatrockranch.net/

mtbr member
    from which direction are you traveling through?
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I am sorry it took so long to reply, I tend to be out of town a lot any more. I would be traveling in from the north comming from Utah and leaving the same way. I should be down there in a couple weeks for an undetermined length of time ( it may become a perminent relocation but we don't know as of yet). Starting off i will go ahead and bring my 29er and a road bike so I have something to ride as I check things out to see if I want to make this move.

mtbr member
    So you will probably travel via IH-10. In that case, make it a point to hit up FRR like bsdc recommended, as it's right off of 10, basically. You definitely won't regret it...arguably one of the top 5 must ride trails in TX...Top 10 without any argument, I am sure.

You can check out our map and plug in your route, as well, in order to see which trails you are going to be going near and which ones are around in SATX.

Oh, and in my opinion, I would go with the FS...the Hill Country stuff and some fo the South Texas Plains trails can be bit rough sometimes (especially if you hit up the likes of Gov't Canyon's Back Country trails there in SATX)
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I would second that. I rode FRR for the first time 2 weeks ago and had a great time. I personally started with the upper loop followed by the lower. Just tech enough to keep you awake.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    will check it out for sure

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Here some of the parks charge day use fees and offer annual passes but other then that I have never paid to ride. Are usage fees the norm for riding in the area or is there some good riding with free access?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gnslr
    Here some of the parks charge day use fees and offer annual passes but other then that I have never paid to ride. Are usage fees the norm for riding in the area or is there some good riding with free access?
    Most of the good riding in Texas is free access, but some of the best trails do charge a daily use fee.

In Dallas for example, almost everything is maintained by DORBA (local club) and is free. In San Antonio the two best places to ride (IMO) are FRR and Goverment Canyon, both of which are paid access.

If you are near Waco, Cameron Park is a great place to ride, and it is free.
    Voodoo Canzo 29er (sporting a Lefty) + Raleigh XXIX SS + Traitor Crusade SSCX + Lapierre Xelius XDJ

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    looks like I will need to find some locals when I get settled in to help show me around a bit

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hi pedigre! Long time no talk! Hope the orient is treating you well! If you want a tour guide while in sa, pm me. I work retail hours so I have random free time and would be happy to play tour guide! Frr is $7 a day access and gov canyon is 6 unless we go together as I have a parks pass. Additionally op schnabel park has some fun easy single track that is perfect for your ht 29er. Look up salado creek greenbelt as well for the same type of riding as op schnabel. There is a 3rd city park I can't remember right now that has trails, but you could almost ride your roadie on em! There is a very large group of folks that road rides on Sunday mornings and meets under the 1604/I10 interchange ( the north side). I have not ridden with them so I can not speak to their pace or route. I think that the shop on 1604 near blanco sponsors that ride so it is a good place to begin your nteworking. Orgo to rideaway bikes in the huebner oaks shopping center and talk to those guys as they are all pretty cool and most of em race mtbs cyclocross or crits. Enjoy your time here!
    "The good news is you're still conscious, the bad is that you're too heavy for me to carry. You gotta ride it out bro."

Members who have read this thread: 0