Trails in Houston- Mtbr.com

Sep 2006

Trails in Houston

Help! My wife and I bought bikes a couple of months ago. We have ridden around the neighborhood and gone to Double Lake a couple of times. However, she is getting frustrated and needs something easy. #1 they put down a bunch of sand at DL and #2,she insisted on riding clipped in. Well the combination did not work and she got upset. I know DL is not that hard, but i want to keep her interested.
    So, I need some "bunny" trails in Houston.
    What about Memorial Park or Cypresswood?
    Any others?
    Thanks.

Jul 2006
    hey, if you need something easy there is lake houston state park just north of kingwood on 59 and east end park in kingwood. both pretty well flat but are good for the scenery. both of these parks should be in the trail guide.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    well i ride memorial and if you stick to the purple trails then yes they are easy, gravel and flat. anythink else is roots and baby drops

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006

Houston Trails.

As mentioned Memorial Park has some beginner as well as intermediate trails that will keep you busy. Jack Brooks Park in Hitchcock, TX has some good beginner trails as well as some very technical ones. It's a nice place to go when you get tired of the local trails. When the dirt trails are wet I like to ride Eleanore Tinsley Park near downtown Houston as it is paved but still has some nice hills to climb. Same goes for Terry Hershey Park (the Anthills). The paved trails don't have much incline or decline to them but it's still a good place to ride after the rain. I recently went up to Huntsville State Park and they have a real nice 10 mile trail that will put you through your paces. It's not difficult to ride but the distance will wear you out! Considering that Huntsville is less than an hours drive away it's worth the trip just to ride what I consider the best beginner trail near Houston.

May 2005

Day Trip?

Boomer at Rocky Hill Ranch in Smithville was telling me that they get more riders from Houston than any other city. If you are up for a day trip, consider RHR. Their website is www.boomersrockyhill.com

The first mile is a grunt, but after that there is lots of rolling singletrack through the Lost Pines of Texas. Great fun, and must be worth the trip for all those Houstonians to keep making the drive. Print a trail map from the website, and have a good time.

Bluff Creek Ranch at Warda (between LaGrange and Giddings) is another good choice for a day trip. Damon has their website at www.sitekreator.com/BCR/index.html
    They have Longhorn cattle on the property too, and Damon cook up a pretty good burger for you after the ride. Or, you can get a famos "Warda-burger" at the Warda store on Hiway 77. Bluff Creek Ranch has some real nice campsites too.

Jul 2006
    The Anthills in West Houston is a good place. The dirt trail on the south side of the bayou (The paved trail is on the north side) is fairly easy. Lots of roots though. Also you can connect to the Barker Dam trail (On the far west end of the Anthills paved trail. Memorial @ Hwy6) which is gravel and flat. You can also ride the Addicks Dam on the north side of I-10. It goes all the way around Bear Creek Park.

Don't forget all the local bayous. Almost all of them have trails running along side of them. I live near White Oak Bayou on the NW side and from my house I can ride a minimum of twenty miles.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TXhucker
    The Anthills in West Houston is a good place. The dirt trail on the south side of the bayou (The paved trail is on the north side) is fairly easy. Lots of roots though. Also you can connect to the Barker Dam trail (On the far west end of the Anthills paved trail. Memorial @ Hwy6) which is gravel and flat. You can also ride the Addicks Dam on the north side of I-10. It goes all the way around Bear Creek Park.

Don't forget all the local bayous. Almost all of them have trails running along side of them. I live near White Oak Bayou on the NW side and from my house I can ride a minimum of twenty miles.

My office is on Enclave, just to the south of the Bayou and to the East of Eldridge. The Ant Hills dirt trail emerges from the woods just feet from the parking garage. I ride when I can, but long hours at work and short days (not to mention a couple of injuries) have slowed me down as of late. BUT....my new Trance 2 is on it's way, and I'll be riding again soon. If anyone's looking for someone to ride with, I'm almost always on the trails alone.

mtbr member
    You could also try Cypresswood Trails in NW Houston. Go to the trail section of this website to get directions and reviews of the trail. however the middle section which is privately owned has had the trees harvested and is off limits to riders at this time. the guys and gals that ride these trail are continually adding new routes. If you were to start at Collins park and ride it is a nice 7 to 8 mile loop.

Members who have read this thread: 0