Trails getting desroyed! Hit it while you can!- Mtbr.com
    Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008

Trails getting desroyed! Hit it while you can!

Anyone who is in the San marcos area and likes to ride cross country and or single track, come out to the Prospect Park trails in San Marcos! They just cut a huge divide in it to construct the new Wonderworld extension all the way across town, but the trails should still be good for a few months to a year before they pour pavement.

Directions from north:
    I35 South to San Marcos
    Exit Wonderworld
    Right on Wonderworld
    Right on Hunter/Hopkins
    Left on Bishop
    Left on Franklin
    Follow Franklin to deadend where dirt road begins
    Follow dirt road to the end and park. trails are to your front and left.

Directions from south:
    I35 North to San Marcos
    Exit Wonderworld
    Left under bridge onto Wonderworld
    Right on Hunter/Hopkins
    Left on Bishop
    Left on Franklin
    Follow Franklin to deadend where dirt road begins
    Follow dirt road to the end and park. trails are to your front and left.

The trails have some great single track, some very mild downhill section and alot of cross country. Lots of rocks, some creek crossing, a cool ride along the top of a ~75ft cliff above a ravine, all in all it was a cool ride yesterday.
    "If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space." ~ J. Whittaker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xterrain
    Anyone who is in the San marcos area and likes to ride cross country and or single track, come out to the Prospect Park trails in San Marcos! They just cut a huge divide in it to construct the new Wonderworld extension all the way across town, but the trails should still be good for a few months to a year before they pour pavement.
    What the hell is wrong with this world? First Z Boaz and now this? What does Wonderworld have to offer that's so special to take out some singletrack?
    Pedigre

Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008
    A through-way from RR12 directly to I35. The really sad thing, is that is cuts directly through Golden Cheek Warbler habitat (endangered) in two places in town AND it is dangerously close to a cave system that is a direct entry into the Edwards Aquifer. So A.) the cave will be closed to cavers due to its proximity to the new main road, B.) Warblers will be further pushed into a tighter and much smaller area and as the pollution grows from high traffic, they will start to die off quicker, C.) the trails and park will be cut in half, and D.) the growth of the area AFTER the new road is finished, will start to leak contaminants into the surrounding limestone (cave system) and into the air for the birds...they [city planners] dont ever think long term for the enviornment, even now in such an enviornmentally minded time; the main concern is up front money through growth and government grants. ******** is all I hear from the mouths of the beaurocrats in office: from local and state all the way to the top.
    "If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space." ~ J. Whittaker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xterrain
    A through-way from RR12 directly to I35. The really sad thing, is that is cuts directly through Golden Cheek Warbler habitat (endangered) in two places in town AND it is dangerously close to a cave system that is a direct entry into the Edwards Aquifer. So A.) the cave will be closed to cavers due to its proximity to the new main road, B.) Warblers will be further pushed into a tighter and much smaller area and as the pollution grows from high traffic, they will start to die off quicker, C.) the trails and park will be cut in half, and D.) the growth of the area AFTER the new road is finished, will start to leak contaminants into the surrounding limestone (cave system) and into the air for the birds...they [city planners] dont ever think long term for the enviornment, even now in such an enviornmentally minded time; the main concern is up front money through growth and government grants. ******** is all I hear from the mouths of the beaurocrats in office: from local and state all the way to the top.
    it's amazing how far we haven't really gone in the realm of sustainability. Guess I need to make another trip or so up that way.
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    How is this going to effect Purgatory? Any plans for new trails?

Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008
    Well the area will be sustained to an extent, you'll just have to cross a heavily trafficed area. The actual land the trails are on is a 4600 acre piece of public land dubbed "The Purgatory Natural Area" Some of us just refer to it as Prospect; all in all the PNA is the WHOLE area.

What I worry about is 3-5 years away, when the area lining the new road is expanded upon with commercial, residential, and industrial areas...further limiting the amount of useable land for recreational activities. They could have just as easily expended McCarty Lane instead and left the whole 'sensitive area' out of the equation entirely.

Some friends and I have started working on some single track and freeride type stuff in a different area to go to. The new place is also in an already developed area and is too close to a naturally endangered eco-system to have any kind of industrialization and is too steep to be developed for residential use. In turn, we're making some trails that will last, so as long as vandals dont mess with it. There is only a small section that is viewable from the street, but the way the street is siuated, drivers wont be paying attention to anything but the road. We rode and worked all day yesterday and even some longboarders on the road not more than 50 feet away, never noticed us until we flew out of the bushes...just to go right back in. LOL. Anyway, we're keeping it hush hush and limited as we can, just until we have them more or less finished. Which may be a couple of months, but I'll definitely keep you guys posted so ya'll can be the first to ride.

mtbr member
    Sounds good...definitely keep us posted!
    Pedigre

Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008
    Also, Is there a Richard on here whom rides a black Avent Jibster with red Azonic Outlaws??

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for the update xterrain. When do you do most of your work, as I may be able to help out a little.

Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008
    Sundays and Mondays mainly. This Sunday I'll be out there in the afternoon if I can get home early enough from camping with the gf for vday. Otherwise, I'll be out there all day Monday with a rake and shovel getting the line laid out before we start building any NS stuff [Im not looking to make it stand out or be visibile from the street, so Im gonna use as much of the natural fallen trees and branches/trees that are in the way to make the ramps and ladders].

Ive got a bum ankle/foot right now so someone to kinda ride then work ride then work etc to make sure the line is good would help out alot.

**mind, it wont be a LONG trail, more of a playground and some singletrack, definitely a good local training ground.

Members who have read this thread: 0