trails in El Paso for xc- Mtbr.com
    NardoSS

trails in El Paso for xc

Hello all. I'm going to visit some family in El Paso in a month and I wanted to take my Mtn bike along for the ride. I wanted to know if there are any XC trails around the Montwood High School area or within 25 miles or so. I think some major roads are Zaragosa and Montwood.

If anyone could perhaps send me a trails link or something I could find on google.earth, I'd greatly appreciate it. The last time I took my road bike I felt like I had a target on my back. The trails don't have to be specific XC, but I'm not looking to huck or have to rent a 50 lb monster with 8 inches of travel.

Thanks again!

Long Distance MTB
    Quote Originally Posted by Odranicus
    Hello all. I'm going to visit some family in El Paso in a month and I wanted to take my Mtn bike along for the ride. I wanted to know if there are any XC trails around the Montwood High School area or within 25 miles or so. I think some major roads are Zaragosa and Montwood.

If anyone could perhaps send me a trails link or something I could find on google.earth, I'd greatly appreciate it. The last time I took my road bike I felt like I had a target on my back. The trails don't have to be specific XC, but I'm not looking to huck or have to rent a 50 lb monster with 8 inches of travel.

Thanks again!
    That area is mostly flat. You may need to move to the western side of the city to Franklin Mountains. If you don't mind pavement, you can take the loop 375 to transmountain and at the top of the mountain take left to state park for some dirt.
    Or go to monje that is also in franklins (next to scenic drive), or more franklin at the end of redd road. But everything is on the west.

NardoSS
    Okay, good to know in advance that there is not much out there for fun xc riding. I would have been pretty upset had I taken my mtn bike and ended up riding road on it most of the time. I'll just take my road bike after all.

I appreciate the heads up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

El Paso XC trails

Hi,

We have a few MTB XC trails here in El Paso:

1.Red road trails
    2.Tom Mays State park

and a few trails in Las Cruces, about 45 minutes from El Paso.

1.Dona Ana (much smoother than El Paso trails).
    2.Sierra Vista trail.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well you can get from Montwood High to the Redd road trails in about 30 mintues, with traffic. And there is great riding there. Stop at Craz Cat Cyclery and pick up a map of the trails.

Ride On!!

Northeast Side Of Transmountain For Sure ! ! ! !

If you are staying on the east side of el paso in the montwood area , your best bet for fun XC would have to be northeast trails ...From where your staying all you would do is take loop 375 to the northeast side until you get to interstate 54, Make a right ( north ) on 54 and follow the lengthy direction I left in the posting "Riders of the Redd Road Area trails/El Paso", you wont be disappointed .....Redd Road is also very fun But a little more rocky than the northeast ...The northeast trails are pretty smooth flowing, Kinda like dona ana but not as long unfortunatley ..( dona ana is a lotta fun too , but farther than 25mi.) ....Also over transmountain from the Northeast is Tom Mays State Park which has a descent 20 somthing mile loop .........Hope that helps

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Northeast El Paso trail

Heckler,

Thanks for the info and invite on the Northeast El Paso trail...i'll drop you a message
    soon.

Safe ride

Akazan

Members who have read this thread: 0