trails in abilene???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

trails in abilene???

i know there is the bike place that you have to have the membership for...i plan getting the membership. but i would like to know where else is there to ride? not anything crazy...im a newb on a beginner bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Some go ....

Some go to Lake Abilene out by Abilene State Park. Mostly dirt roads.

Off FM 600 there is a area that is accross from the Lake.

Off of East Lake Road down from Buck Creek there is a place called Frame Bender. Mostly Motorcycles.

Some go to the Skate Rark for a thrill. A reall good workout

Urban is always fun.

TNC
    noMAD man
    The Buck Creek trails that you need the Abilene Bike Club membership for is pretty awesome. Have you ridden it yet? If you're a beginner, I think you'll find a lot to keep you busy for some time. The other major place to ride is referred to as "Bronte". It's a 75 mile dirt motorcycle trail on a ranch that is excellent for MTB also, but it is extremely tough. There are lots of very gnarly, rocky up and downhills. Almost no one rides a hardtail there. You have to be a member there too or at least go with a member. It's a neat place, and I rank it behind Moab, UT as my favorite place to ride a mountainbike. If you master the technical stuff at Buck Creet Trails to a fair degree, then you'd be ready for Bronte.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    buck creek...thats it...yea i think i will be getting a membership to go there next week. me and a few buddy's were talking today about going up there next friday(weather permitting).

and as for the bronte trip...i am a ways from that...i dont think my gt palomar can handle too much. its an okay bike that needs a little love.

Apr 2004

Hardtails at Bronte

Don't let TNC scare you off. I and others have ridden out at Bronte on our hardtails a bunch (even with TNC) and we are usually out in front.

He's just a little biased.....

I miss the dry trails of TX (as I hear the mid-TN rain continue to fall....)

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    yea but see...the gt is a little rough to ride at buck creek. i need to take it in for some maintenance maybe that will help. hopefully in the next year i will be able to upgrade. i rode with a buddy on friday that has a zaskar and that thing weighed half as much as mine. i know on my bike i couldnt do bronte.

TNC
    noMAD man

LOL! Well Troy...

Quote Originally Posted by troyef
    Don't let TNC scare you off. I and others have ridden out at Bronte on our hardtails a bunch (even with TNC) and we are usually out in front.

He's just a little biased.....

I miss the dry trails of TX (as I hear the mid-TN rain continue to fall....)
    That was only because there were enough hills at Bronte that you could stay ahead of someone my age on an HT vs. FS. I seem to recall a ride down Amasa Back at Moab one time...even with the short climbs in that mostly downhill run, I believe a full suspension bike with an old man aboard got to the bottom first. You know you're just a hardtail curmudgeon who can't deal with the fact that you'd go faster on an FS bike. Hell...I bet you're even into rigid single-speeds now.

BTW...what's with your pic in that avitar? You look like Rasputin. Did you join a local communist party chapter?...LOL!

Hey dude...what have you been up to? Long time no see...or hear. Hey, I just got back from 3 days of riding and camping at Bronte. It's as good as ever. You remember the places we used to avoid...Bustedass Acres, Deadman's Canyon, etc.? Those are all our favorite places now. The bikes have gotten better...and so have we...LOL!
    Last edited by TNC; 02-25-2007 at 08:15 PM.

Apr 2004
    You know me too well. My old Kona is once again rigid and once again single-speed, but it is no longer my primary bike. My main ride is now an Independent Fabrications steel deluxe. And after about 8 years, I decided it was time to upgrade my old bomber with a newer on. Riding an '06 Marathon Race now. Very nice.....

Not been up to a whole lot. Riding as much as I can (which amounts to a fair bit on my old Abilene standards, i'd say). The last couple months, and again this saturday, I have met up with Wilkins to do a pretty tough offroad timetrail in northern Georgia. It's always good to ride with ol' Chris. On the other hand, I haven't seen Eli on a bike with my own two eyes in quite some time.....

The picture is from a local alleycat I won last december. I zoomed in for the effect. I guess it worked I ride with a local team and that was one of our fund raisers/good times.... That and other pics here: http://www.teamremax-yazoo.com/brewers_cup/index.html.

There are some great trails within a couple hours of Nashville, but I still miss the terrain back there. I rarely get flats here, but I miss the dryness and the speed out there... I hope to get down there sometime in the near future. My brother just moved back to TX, so I now have more reason to make that occasional roadtrip....

Anyway.... Glad to see you are still kickin it here and on the trail... We'll have to get together and ride again...

TNC
    noMAD man
    LOL!...Dang Troy...that dude stole my name! Eli mentioned somebody with my name when he was down last month. He had his bike with him when he came down but still didn't go to Bronte when he was invited. I think he's scared...LOL!

Yeah, if you come down, let us know. You might not even recognize Buck Creek now. It's expanded a fair amount with some neat features.

Members who have read this thread: 0