TrailHead Map Texas Style- Mtbr.com
    Think Circles!

TrailHead Map Texas Style

Hey Guys,
    I'm considering moving to Texas from Sand Diego and I'm looking for some input as to where all of the best MTB trails are. (Because of couse I want to live near them) Being that I'm new to MTB and started in So-Cal, I started a collaborative google map to seek out all of the local trailheads here. It has grown like wildfire and I think it would work well for just about any state.

It would be awesome if some of you guys could add the Texas trailheads not only for me but for anyone else interested in MTBing in Texas.

Here's the deal about the map quoted from the so-cal forum:
    The Map is set up for public editing. So if you'd like to contribute, please do. If I find it becomes vandalized or inaccurate I can always specify delegates for editing. Please try to stick to the same style and format, like using the same icons and colors for items. This will keep the map simple and easy to use. Also please make sure NOT to add any ride spots that may be on private land or considered an illegal area for riding.

At this point, there has already been so much work done on the map by others, I can't even call it mine anymore. Thanks for all of the contribution
    Click on the map to be taken to the Google Maps Page:

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    check out www.dorba.org for all the trails around the DFW area and plenty of other trails around the state and bordering states

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Been there, done that, mapped it:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...794853,360&z=1

You can find out a lot about texas trails at http://www.austinbike.com

One of these days I am going to actually take the time to figure out how to put the map widget on each of my pages. Been a little busy lately here at the austinbike corporate headquarters.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

Think Circles!
    Yes!

You are the man!

I was checking out your site earlier and hoping you would chime in here!
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Technically, I am only partially the man. It's a long story that involves a power tool accident and a hershey bar. You can google it

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Another great MTB site for TX

http://www.mountainbiketx.com/

This one went up pretty recently and has some good info on riding in the state.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Welcome to Texas, second home to many californians!
    I moved from SD (PB/OB) to Austin in 2005, and love the riding here. Much different than what I learned to ride on (Flightline/Penasquitos/Mission/Noble) but very much fun all the same - only slower and techy-er.
    What part of TX are you moving to? I can only presume the "liberal-haven" Austin is where you have your sights set....

Think Circles!
    haha, Im considering Austin as one area. Mostly because I like somewhat of the rural life (if I can find it) Right now we live in Lakeside el cajon area and like the fact that we are not in cookie cutter houses and developments. With that said, the fact that I do IT work means I need to be near the city, so we are trying to find a happy medium. But hey, I'm open to suggestions! We are planning a trip out there at the end of July to scope out the area. Its a little tricky finding a new state to live in and where to move to in that state. I need to talk to someone that already lives there and can tell me what is where. Kinda like I can tell you that in San Diego, all the beach bum college kids can be found in PB\OB, the "hicks" and Latinos are mostly in el Cajon and la mesa and Temecula is one huge housing trackt. These are all just generalizations but are pretty close to reality in most cases.

If you were moving to TX and you were looking for a place that is relatively close to riding and other outdoor activities where would you look? Keep in mind I'd like to be about 25 minutes from my Tech Job where ever that will be... I guess im doing this backwards by looking to a place I want to live then finding a job in that place.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMW
    If you were moving to TX and you were looking for a place that is relatively close to riding and other outdoor activities where would you look? Keep in mind I'd like to be about 25 minutes from my Tech Job where ever that will be... I guess im doing this backwards by looking to a place I want to live then finding a job in that place.
    In general, the riding is N/NW/W of town (and Barton Creek is central). TX is suffering from the same sprawl-minded development that turned the I-15 corridor into a parking lot. Staying 25min from downtown might be difficult if you are looking west.
    In general, the Westlake/beecave/lakeway communities are expensive - those are the more established ones to the west. Cedar Park is close and close to riding, that is a bit NW of town. Down south, you have some huge developments, but I think that 25min is hard-pressed to get downtown. You will find a lot of development out the Hwy 71 corridor, but much of that will be housing tracts. In general, the landscape is hillier and greener the more north and west you go, and that is where the riding is better.

Also note that there is some great riding, and you will end up driving to most of it. I would pick based on commute first then on riding.

I have a great realtor (help both myself, and a few of my coworkers find places) - PM me for info if so inclined.

Here are the tools we employed in our home search:
    home search:
    www.searchaustinonline.com
    www.austinhomesearch.com
    www.zillow.com
    www.housingmaps.com/ (craigslist listings only)

valuation tools:
    www.housealmanac.com
    www.propertyshark.com

As for 'hood feel:
    Oak hill is kinda hick. (el cajon, but not as run-down)
    South austin is funky, the closer in, the more George Clinton. I like that ****.
    Westlake to lakeway is Ken and Barbie. (rancho sf)
    North along 360/183 is established older, more ethnically diverse hoods (think asian/indian:clairmont mesa?).
    East of 35 is more hispanic. (so cal)
    North and 35 is more black. (not san diego)
    North to Round Rock is whitebread. (escondido)

Ok, who is going to torch me for saying that last part?

Think Circles!
    Thanks! Right now I think we are going to rent for the first 6 months or so, just to get a real feel for where we are. I can't imagine heading out there and buying a house within th e first month. I will PM you for the realtor info when the time gets closer. I have been looking in the hill country just because I don't know how I feel about living in the flat lands. I've been spoiled by San Diego now but the wife and I have decided that we are nuts to try to stay here and buy a house, San Diego is awesome but the housing costs prohibit you from really enjoying what is here. (Or at least for us)

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMW
    Thanks! Right now I think we are going to rent for the first 6 months or so, just to get a real feel for where we are. I can't imagine heading out there and buying a house within th e first month. I will PM you for the realtor info when the time gets closer. I have been looking in the hill country just because I don't know how I feel about living in the flat lands. I've been spoiled by San Diego now but the wife and I have decided that we are nuts to try to stay here and buy a house, San Diego is awesome but the housing costs prohibit you from really enjoying what is here. (Or at least for us)
    Us too - although we were both kinda just done with the scene there. Time for a change, that was all.

Talked to some friends the other day (ages 26-36), OBecians for life (I guess I am branded that too). They are doing the same, old, very-much-fun thing -just partying it up all the time.

As for the cost of living, I though SD was remarkably cheap (cheaper than comperable lifestyle in Richmond or Nashville), it is ONLY the cost of the house that you are buying that makes the deal bad. Rent is cheap! Liquor - super cheap. Going out - cheap. Abundant good, inexpensive food? Check! Utilities are about hte same. All in all, I intend on saving enough dough to buy there some day, if only a vacation house!

Think Circles!
    As for 'hood feel:
    Oak hill is kinda hick. (el cajon, but not as run-down)
    South austin is funky, the closer in, the more George Clinton. I like that ****.
    Westlake to lakeway is Ken and Barbie. (rancho sf)
    North along 360/183 is established older, more ethnically diverse hoods (think asian/indian:clairmont mesa?).
    East of 35 is more hispanic. (so cal)
    North and 35 is more black. (not san diego)
    North to Round Rock is whitebread. (escondido)
    HAHAHA I just saw this, and its exactly what I'm looking for! The wife and I are both 26 and I have had enough of SD, I've lived here for 6 years now (Former Marine) and ready for a change of lifestyle. We are not into the nightlife partying anymore and I'd like to go somewhere that I can get a job that I enjoy and maybe not make as much money, but still live comfortably.And I know its a sin to say this but the Ocean isn't a big deal to me.... I grew up in Rhode Island, I have had enough saltwater and sand.

As far as rent out here, it isn't too cheap anymore we have a 3bd 1 ba in elcajon and its 1775 a month

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    No, no, no, no, no, no. You guys don't want to move to Austin. It sucks here. We had 10+ days over over 100 degree weather in May alone. We're not even much into summer! The traffic sucks. The food and music suck. Oh, and don't even get me started on the riding. NOTHING comes close to any riding outside the area.

Try Dallas or Houston. They're much better.

D

Think Circles!
    I get the feeling someone is trying to deter me!

I already put in for the week off of july 21st. We will be driving out from San diego and checking out Austin and San Antonino.

Any ride recommendations while I'm out visiting?

since 4/10/2009
    Oh, I visited Austin a couple weekends ago. It was a big mess...supposed to meet my wife there (she was flying in from Pittsburgh), but continued flight delays forced her to miss her connection and she never did come. I only spent time in the northern part of Austin and into Round Rock and that area is just a mess. I think the freeway bridges are higher there than anywhere else I've seen before. It really is a bad case of sprawl. But, I understand the food is good, the biking is good, the people can be downright weird (this is what I hear from native Texans, anyway), and there's a lot in general to do.

I guess it's all about tradeoffs. I'm in E. Texas. I'm buying a 3br/2ba house on 1+ acre on the outskirts of town for about 117k and I'm less than 2 miles from downtown Nacogdoches, which is a really neat historic downtown with lots of little shops. I'm about 3.5 miles to campus, and my wife is about 3 miles from work. Mountain biking is limited, but there are some trails in the area. The paddling is great, though. Couple good rivers just near town (Angelina and Neches Rivers) along with some flatwater paddling (Lake Nacogdoches primarily, but if you have sea kayaks, you can visit Sam Rayburn). There's some good hiking in the multitude of national forests nearby (there's 4, btw).

Austin looks to me like the sort of place I'll visit occasionally, but not the kind of place I'd want to put down roots and live.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Hanging out in round rock and saying austin isn't all that is like riding an $80 wal-mart full suspension bike and saying "what's the big deal about mountain biking?"

Come out to austin some weekend and I will give you a tour of the real riding. You never even got close to austin. I used to work in round rock, it's a pit.

Members who have read this thread: 0