Trail Crowd Size Predictions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Trail Crowd Size Predictions

It looks like trails may be dry soon. With the corona virus lockdown in the metropolitan cities and the consistent rain for the last few weeks (at least in North Texas), I expect several times the typical Saturday afternoon crowd on most trails. I'm wondering whether will it even be possible to maintain "6' distance" from the hordes of people.

mtbr member
    Been riding in my area the past few days and only came across 3-4 people, kinda hope it stays that way.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_Ninja View Post
    It looks like trails may be dry soon. With the corona virus lockdown in the metropolitan cities and the consistent rain for the last few weeks (at least in North Texas), I expect several times the typical Saturday afternoon crowd on most trails. I'm wondering whether will it even be possible to maintain "6' distance" from the hordes of people.
    No kidding, right? The minute one or two trails open up, we're ALL going to be there. In addition to weekends, I usually right 3-4 times during the week when trails are less busy. But with all the mandates preventing people from going to work, I expect weekdays to be as busy as weekends.

I wonder... is a 6' distance from the rider in front of you enough as you're moving through their tail wind at speed? Hmmm...
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Are we allowed to drive to the trails with the shelter in place order?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The lockdown orders, if they exist, vary. But my understanding for Dallas is yes.

For purposes of this Order, individuals may leave their residence only to perform
    any of the following “Essential Activities”:
    iii. To engage in outdoor activity, provided the individuals comply with social distancing requirements of six feet (for example, walking, biking, hiking, or running).
    https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...rch-23-002.pdf

But don't tell anybody. My guess is this will be the most crowded that I've ever seen the trails.
    Last edited by bike_Ninja; 1 Week Ago at 04:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Whoo hoo... 4 out of 36 trails open in DFW as of last night (3/26)! Let the trail crowding begin.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Even though those are ~1-2 hours outside metroplex (with more local trails probably opening today), I bet they see record numbers, especially with the Monday rain forecast. I've been riding a local trail the last couple of days and have seen more people than I've ever seen out there. If local trails open, I'm wondering if I should ride pre-sunrise or maybe right at first light.

mtbr member
    Quanah Hill and Parks of Aledo are closed until further notice, after speaking with the respective cities involved we have made the choice to close both trails. When we choose to re open the trails it will be posted on the Weatherford Mountain Bike Club facebook page.

On a good note it will give the trail stewards of both trails plenty of time to get some work done.
    Last edited by DaleinTexas; 1 Week Ago at 03:15 PM.
    Nuun Ambassador 2017/2019
    Honey Stinger Ambassador 2018/2019
    Facebook Blog "Run with me"
    Instagram @Run_withme1972

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Sorry for jinxing it guys... It looks like it rained enough to keep the local trails closed through Monday's forecast rain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    I really hope I'm wrong and we can continue to practice social distancing on two wheels while on some flowy singletrack, but I have a feeling that in due time, these parks and other publicly accessed trails will soon be shut down. People just cannot respect the social distancing guidelines and the word eventually gets out to the local authorities as we are starting to see with some areas.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zzzogas413 View Post
    I really hope I'm wrong and we can continue to practice social distancing on two wheels while on some flowy singletrack, but I have a feeling that in due time, these parks and other publicly accessed trails will soon be shut down. People just cannot respect the social distancing guidelines and the word eventually gets out to the local authorities as we are starting to see with some areas.
    This is probably true, I know of several local parks to me that have already closed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by natas1321 View Post
    This is probably true, I know of several local parks to me that have already closed.
    RPR was wonderful this weekend and made for a great escape. As of current day, they are open every day. I was surprised to not have had to deal with any situations during my ride which would have put me at risk nor did I see anyone else riding in groups. So much land and space out there. I'm hoping that as private land owners, they stay open for as long as possible!

mtbr member
    Flat Rock ranch is the same which is where I get out to a couple of times a week and usually is not crowded during the times I go.