Trail conditions thread San Antonio- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Trail conditions thread San Antonio

Please post up the trail conditions in sa....

I know salado is flooded and muddy... Gonna do a recon walk maybe today or tommorrow.

Leon ?
    Op ?
    MAC?
    Any place ?

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    If I have time I'll check out Leon Creek today. I'm sure it's gonna be pretty messy but you never know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    im riding bamberger to op in the morning so ill post up and let you know how it goes

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    I talked to a buddy who was out at Leon Creek yesterday and had to wade across several crossings. He said the water was waist deep at one crossing and knee deep at the other.

I've never ridden the trails after a heavy rain. Is it best to stay away for a little while or don't worry about it?

mtbr member
    It's better we stay off of them till they dry out.... Fitting out and stuff. I know in Houston it is frowned upon and they post signs up that the trails are closed.

Thanks for the update

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Drove by a bridge on the Leon Creek trails and it had standing water. I also talked to a buddy of mine who runs the trails and he told me that they are very soft. I'll have to stay away but hope they dry out by the weekend.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i rode this morning. I agree it might be frowned upon if you were skidding and oedaling in the loose stuff digging up dirt, but just going through and displacing dirt isn't bad. there were some slick spots and some standing water but it wasn't to bad. by thursday morning I would bet trail conditions will br perfect. There were def. signs that people had already ridden before me out there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I plan to ride Leon Creek later today.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Leon Creek is still a little wet, and has several spots with standing water, but it's fine to ride through. There's already a ton of bikers on the paths. I went from Schnabel to Bamberger. Got about as far away as I could from my car and did this:

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Damn! How did you manage that? I just finished my ride this morning. The trails are near perfect. Traction was at it's best

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The trail goes back to the middle of the pic. The drop is about 2.5' - 3'. I tried jumping off it and when I hit the bottom, the bike didn't move at all. I don't know exactly what caused the crash. It could be that the bike just got perfectly stuck in the rocks and caused myself and the bike not to move forward. Or the magnitude of my weight coming down from 3' of air onto the front wheel causing it to fold first, then causing the bike to stop. Or the combination of both.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Crazy stuff. I guess its time for a wheel upgrade

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Just the opposite. Not a good time moneywise, so I'm gonna have to find a really cheap replacement in the mean time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    hit MAC on Wednesday. Wet in the creeks still, a little soft, but GREAT traction and fun as hell!!! It was a welcome change from the dry summer ridings that's for sure.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TXDesertRacer View Post
    Leon Creek is still a little wet, and has several spots with standing water, but it's fine to ride through. There's already a ton of bikers on the paths. I went from Schnabel to Bamberger. Got about as far away as I could from my car and did this:

Sorry to hear that happened but glad you're ok. I don't recognize that area in your pic. Is that closer to Bamburger Park?

How much are you looking to spend on a wheel? I may be able to hook you up with one cheap. Shoot me a PM or email me at [email protected] if you get a chance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    That was in Bamberger park, close to the pond that is now full. It didn't seem to be a well traveled trail.
    That drop is actually in the trail. The rain could have washed it out.
    I'm heading there today, so I'll try to find it again and GPS locate it.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    That was in Bamberger park, close to the pond that is now full. It didn't seem to be a well traveled trail.
    That drop is actually in the trail. The rain could have washed it out.
    I'm heading there today, so I'll try to find it again and GPS locate it.
    I'm sure there's lots of places I've yet to explore. Was that bottom so soft that your tire dug in? How fast were you going when it happened?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    It was a little soft, but I think the wheel just folded on the rocks and my weight. I wasn't going too fast. I just wanted to hop and clear the first few feet. I would think it would have to be mud to stop my speed. I didn't roll at all when the wheels landed, so that's what leads me to believe it was the folding of the wheel and not one of those rocks.

Next time I'm gonna have someone video my shenanigans.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Went back last night. You start at the parking lot to Bamberger Park off Babcock rd., and go left on the paved trail down to the creek/low water crossing bridge. Cross it to the other side and you'll see a wide, straight, dirt trail begin at the top in front of you. Take that dirt trail down a little ways til you see big boulders on your left marking another trail that immediately drops down to a creek. Cross the creek and you'll see the washout that I attempted to jump. It's probably 1/4 mile from the parking lot, so it should be easy to find.

Took another pic for reference. I'm 6'1" standing right infront of the ledge. Hey, I'm wearing the same shirt. lol

You get kuddos if you get a vid of yourself succesfully clearing the jump, or not. lol

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Went back last night. You start at the parking lot to Bamberger Park off Babcock rd., and go left on the paved trail down to the creek/low water crossing bridge. Cross it to the other side and you'll see a wide, straight, dirt trail begin at the top in front of you. Take that dirt trail down a little ways til you see big boulders on your left marking another trail that immediately drops down to a creek. Cross the creek and you'll see the washout that I attempted to jump. It's probably 1/4 mile from the parking lot, so it should be easy to find.

Took another pic for reference. I'm 6'1" standing right infront of the ledge. Hey, I'm wearing the same shirt. lol

You get kuddos if you get a vid of yourself succesfully clearing the jump, or not. lol

I'll be out there Saturday with my boy and I'll take a look. Any luck in finding a replacement wheel?

I hit the trails the past two days and there's lots of standing water and the mosquitoes are the size of dragonflies. They are really bad. The water had cut off 1/4 of the trails I normally ride with the Bamberger side being the best. The trails are nice, compact and really fast.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yea, the crash site was loaded with mosquitos last time we went. My friend was smart enough to wear a bandana over his mouth while riding.

I ended up finding a wheel at Rideaway for $58. I wanted to get back out the next day for Walnut Creek.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    damn man! I went and checked it out today so i could be the first to post a vid haha. I would be hesitant on my AM bike(which is currently out of commission). But def not on my xc bike. Thats a pretty big drop onto flat, loose ground. Your crazy for trying it haha!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yea, the crash site was loaded with mosquitos last time we went. My friend was smart enough to wear a bandana over his mouth while riding.

I ended up finding a wheel at Rideaway for $58. I wanted to get back out the next day for Walnut Creek.

did you drive to austin specifically to ride walnut creek? Im going to pace bend this saturday, incase anyone wants to try to make it out. Check out the new vids posted from there! It looks awesome with all the new features built

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by utsamtber View Post
    damn man! I went and checked it out today so i could be the first to post a vid haha. I would be hesitant on my AM bike(which is currently out of commission). But def not on my xc bike. Thats a pretty big drop onto flat, loose ground. Your crazy for trying it haha!
    Haha, thanks, I was feeling like a newb for crashing, and was almost tempted to try again to regain my manhood. lol
    Do you know if that trail continues somewhere? It seemd like a well-traveled path up until that point, then kinda dead ends. We had to take off due to crazy mosquitos.

did you drive to austin specifically to ride walnut creek? Im going to pace bend this saturday, incase anyone wants to try to make it out. Check out the new vids posted from there! It looks awesome with all the new features built
    Yea, my family and I drove there to check it out as our first Austin ride since it's recommended as the first one to try in some other threads here. It's too tame for me, but just right for my family. I liked that huge wall you ride up as you coast downhill to the creek. lol Only small ones here.
    I'd like to try some other trails in Austin, but my friend asked me to go to Gov't Canyon sunday.

mtbr member
    Madrone trail was awesome.... Ready to ride dry and great

Please post trail conditions.....

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Leon creek still has lots of standing water but you can get around now just about anywhere you want to go. I took a noob out Saturday with my son as we had a blast. I took it easy on him and only did 15miles. I'm going back out Tuesday and Wednesday to hit it a little harder.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Haha, thanks, I was feeling like a newb for crashing, and was almost tempted to try again to regain my manhood. lol
    Do you know if that trail continues somewhere? It seemd like a well-traveled path up until that point, then kinda dead ends. We had to take off due to crazy mosquitos.

Yea, my family and I drove there to check it out as our first Austin ride since it's recommended as the first one to try in some other threads here. It's too tame for me, but just right for my family. I liked that huge wall you ride up as you coast downhill to the creek. lol Only small ones here.
    I'd like to try some other trails in Austin, but my friend asked me to go to Gov't Canyon sunday.
    I never got a chance to see that area you munched it at. I will try to get out there on Tuesday.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Had a new adventure yesterday. I live by 1604/Culebra, so I wanted to see if I could ride Culebra Creek all the way to Cathedral Rock, then hop onto Leon Creek Greenway trail. Went with a friend. That new ditch at 1604 is pretty cool looking and massive. Once we crossed under Culebra, it got rocky and was a pretty fun ride. Mixture of loose rocks and large drops if you chose to have fun with them. We almost made it all the way to Cathedral Rock when we came to a bridge too low to cross under near Advanced Auto. Had to go up a street towards Grissom, then hop back on the trail behind an electrical station. That took us to the back entry of Cathedral Rock. By then, we were too tired to even ride the Leon Creek path so we turned around. lol It was farther than we thought.

They're building some paths on Culebra Creek near 1604. Maybe one day they'll connect it to Cathedral Rock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Had a new adventure yesterday. I live by 1604/Culebra, so I wanted to see if I could ride Culebra Creek all the way to Cathedral Rock, then hop onto Leon Creek Greenway trail. Went with a friend. That new ditch at 1604 is pretty cool looking and massive. Once we crossed under Culebra, it got rocky and was a pretty fun ride. Mixture of loose rocks and large drops if you chose to have fun with them. We almost made it all the way to Cathedral Rock when we came to a bridge too low to cross under near Advanced Auto. Had to go up a street towards Grissom, then hop back on the trail behind an electrical station. That took us to the back entry of Cathedral Rock. By then, we were too tired to even ride the Leon Creek path so we turned around. lol It was farther than we thought.

They're building some paths on Culebra Creek near 1604. Maybe one day they'll connect it to Cathedral Rock.
    that sounds like a good ride. I live at culebra and 1560, that would be awesome if they connected.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    that sounds like a good ride. I live at culebra and 1560, that would be awesome if they connected.
    If you go to the soccer fields and apartments by the Walmart, you'll see some trails they just completed through the creek. There's a city improvement sign at the entrance to the apartments for "Culebra Creek". I don't know if it had any details on the sign about how much more they were going to do. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    I'll be out there tomorrow morning. I'll look to see if I can find the imprint of your bike/body in the mud still...lol

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    anyone riding this morning?

mtbr member
    Salado looking good for Sat afternoon... O

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pebblehoppertj View Post
    Salado looking good for Sat afternoon... O
    ive never ridden salado. is it better than op/bamburger?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    No, but close.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Heading out to see if Leon Creek is too muddy to ride. I'll report back tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
    Heading out to see if Leon Creek is too muddy to ride. I'll report back tomorrow.
    how is it? Im planning to ride in the morning

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Well we hit the trails for a couple of hours and had a great time. Lots of little puddles and soft gooey spots to ride through but not too bad. The trails were really sticky and it was nice to really lean into some of the turns. Rode from Bandera/Mainland to Bamberger and then came back to ride OP. Did two big drops, one I'd never done before and it was freekn' awesome!!!

My 15yr old son is off next week for vaca and we'll be hitting it again several times.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Anyone gonna be riding over the holidays? I off after tomorrow and will be hitting Leon Creek Wednesday and Friday with my boy and and a few others.

mtbr member
    Maybe Fri ....salado with my boy

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Maybe Fri ....salado with my boy
    I may be able to do Salado Friday. Post up if you get a chance to let me know you are going. I'm sure my boy would like to ride with another kid besides his father.

mtbr member
    Cool how old is your boy...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

next time you go riding, go check out the drop again. I moved some dirt around and it is a nice easy landing every time now.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Cool how old is your boy...
    He's fifteen.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    next time you go riding, go check out the drop again. I moved some dirt around and it is a nice easy landing every time now.
    I still haven't been able to find that spot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I still haven't been able to find that spot.
    if you follow his previously posted directions it is extremely easy. Park at bamburger, get on the pavement and go down the little hill that crosses the bridge. cross the brigde and continue going straight even though the pavement turns, and you will be on a wide trail. follow it until you see two big rocks on your left and a trail that drops straight into the creek, then just cross the creek and go up the rocky hill and it is right there.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    I'm pretty sure I've seen it. I just never dropped into the creek. I guess I need to wait a few more days for the creek to dry out before I go in there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Cool, I'll check it out. I haven't been riding in a while due to the holidays, but I've been meaning to get back out there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    anyone riding today?!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    OP and McAllister are perfect. right now.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    I guess everyone is out riding and hasn't had time to report. The rain really threw me off and I'm just now starting to ride consistently again. The trails still have little spots of mud but for the most part are in really good shape. They are super fast.

I went out with some guys on Sunday and saw several groups of riders instead of the usual onesies or twosies...

mtbr member
    Salado is great.... Anyone wanna meet up.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    I need to learn Salado Creek. I've only ridden it once with a buddy and it's definitely more technical than Leon Creek.

I won't be able to ride again until next week. I'll post up to see if anyone wants to meet up and ride for a bit.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    I know we need the rain but...

It's really putting a cramp in my riding. Work has kept me off the trails and now that I'm getting some free time it freakn' rains.

mtbr member
    I'm gonna shoot for Sunday morning. Salado or goverment canyon.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Gonna hit the paved greenway this evening. Start at Bandera/Mainland around 7:00pm and head out to 1604/I-10

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Ran through McAllister last night on paved trails. Mosquito Lake has never been so full. Without rain it will likely be a week before McAllister is dry enough to ride.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    We rode the paved greenway last night. The trails are pretty mushy and I don't think will be ready to ride for at least a few more days.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

San Antonio Trail Conditions

I'm new to the forum, but not mountain biking. I just got a 2011 Giant Anthem X3 29er and itching to ride.

I'm sure the trails probably aren't rideable, but I thought I'd ask to see if anyone knows conditions of Mac, OP, Leon and Salado Creeks.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jasmorg1075 View Post
    I'm new to the forum, but not mountain biking. I just got a 2011 Giant Anthem X3 29er and itching to ride.

I'm sure the trails probably aren't rideable, but I thought I'd ask to see if anyone knows conditions of Mac, OP, Leon and Salado Creeks.
    The conditions are no-go for launch. My buddy was at OP on Saturday and told me that it's just too muddy. He hit OP and the Bird Sanctuary and said it's just too soft. Today's rain is just icing on the cake.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Agreed.

I checked out Mac on Saturday. Upper portion of blue trail was okay, a little soft, but riding wouldn't cause any damage. After about 2 miles it got pretty muddy and nasty so I hit the nearest road and called it quits on the trails. Now forget it with the new rain

I know we need the rain, but man....I want to ride!

mtbr member
    Was at salado yesterday walking my dogs. One more day of son would have done It good. Now with this rain. Maybe Thursday or Fri.

This is good time to work, clean or upgrade your bike and have it ready for sunny skies.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i want to ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I rode in OP today. It was fairly muddy, but not impossible.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Ran McAllister tonight on paved paths. Dried up a lot since Monday, but still not rideable - maybe the weekend. Did talk to a few muddy bikers in the parking lot who admitted the trails were not passable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I know it just rained yesterday... but I'm thinking about hitting the Madrone trail at Canyon Lake today (Sunday 2-19). Anyone know if it's so rocky that it should be OK? I don't want to hurt the trail... nor ride in nothing but mud.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Just FYI, got off the pavement from MAC to Southside Lake park, even that was muddy this morning in some spots.

Trails will be under water and un-rideable for a good couple days. Hoping Thursday will be dry enough.

Sooooo much water!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It seems like we are never going to be able to ride again in SA :/ I just got my new Stumpy last weekend. I'm going to give the high ground in OP a shot this afternoon. I'll report in later. Hopefully no rain the rest of the week!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I just returned from riding the Madrone Trail at Canyon Lake. It was my first time there and I'm a novice MTB rider, so I did about 50% walking and 50% riding. The first two miles were very dry and no problem (water wise). The next 1/2 mile or so was solid mud.

The trail there is rated 3 to 4 and wow, at my age I'll never have the skills nor the nerve to do many of those drops. I guess I need to wait for McAllister to dry out.

mtbr member
    Well I rode the linear path from I 10 to ingram....26 miles and no wet spots on the cement....lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
    I just returned from riding the Madrone Trail at Canyon Lake. It was my first time there and I'm a novice MTB rider, so I did about 50% walking and 50% riding. The first two miles were very dry and no problem (water wise). The next 1/2 mile or so was solid mud.

The trail there is rated 3 to 4 and wow, at my age I'll never have the skills nor the nerve to do many of those drops. I guess I need to wait for McAllister to dry out.
    I've seen pictures, this trail looks like a lot of fun!
    Being that I'm
    Getting back into it, I better take it easy and wait for the local spots to dry out a bit more.
    This was after my ride last Tuesday
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Technically I don't what kind-of riding I do- I just know I ride hard!

mtbr member
    @ creative part

Don't worry and just practice....it will come

Let me know if you ever wanna ride in SA we have a group on meet up...

Google us... San Antonio books and mountain bike...its free

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Does anyone know what the trail conditions are like now after all the rain we had? I'm looking at getting out on Sunday with a new rider probably at Mac. Please post if you are aware of the conditions out there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm planning on hitting Mac today. I'm pretty sure it will be muddy though. I was just out in our yard killing some fire ant mounds and it's fairly wet here too and it hasn't rained since the weekend.

I'll report back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I ran Mac last night. Many deep puddles which cannot be ridden around, but it should be OK by Saturday. A few inconsiderate people have really torn up a few trails by riding while it's wet. The trail inside the dam is deeply rutted and dried hard in a few spots which will grab your front tire.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ugh, thanks for letting me know. I'll stay away for a while more. It's supposed to be cold this weekend, and then some more rain next week, I believe.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    @ creative part

Don't worry and just practice....it will come

Let me know if you ever wanna ride in SA we have a group on meet up...

Google us... San Antonio books and mountain bike...its free
    Just joined this Meet Up Group. Thanks.

I don't know if I'll ever get up to speed on those big drops on Madrone. I like MTB because it's like skiing, but at my age (62) I don't like falling -- especially face first on the rocks. We'll just have to see how things progress.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Sunday - high parts of OP are rideable so I had to wash the bike up

Wednesday - Salado very rideable, some deep pools of water though.

All should be okay for this weekend. I'll be at Mac Saturday morning and OP on Sunday. I'll be on a stumpy fsr and a bright cyan helmet so say hi if you see me!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    New to biking but cant wait to start heading out! thanks in advance for all the info guys!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    rode from bamberger to op this morning, everything is great, only a couple small muddy sections.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I can't wait to get out there, it's killing me. Will be riding Mac this weekend with a new rider, I'm hoping the trails are in similar condition. If you've been to Mac in the past couple of days, how is it out there?

In the meantime though I've been doing some light modding and cleaning. So far:

1) New Easton EA70 handlebars
    2) ODI Grips
    3) 90MM stem
    4) Trying to locate a creak that is driving me nuts!

mtbr member
    rode from bamberger to op this morning, everything is great, only a couple small muddy sections.
    I rode that portion and some on mainland Wednesday afternoon-pretty late. It was about the same. Only small spots holding water on the trail...

It was getting too dark to check further down

mtbr member
    I did Madrone twice this past week. Tuesday and Wednesday both days were pretty dry. I only came across very little mud but nothing that stopped me in my tracks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Mac is perfect now. Road 18 miles there today.. 95% is dry.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    tomorrow night at 8 some of us from utsa are meeting up at bamberger to do a little night ride. all are welcome!

mtbr member
    Hmmm make it 7 and I may join...

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Not San Antonio but close by...

I got a ride in at Flat Rock in Comfort on Monday. Great day for a ride. Sunny and cool. Looking to go back next week for spring break.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    when do you think you are heading out again? Im off next week for spring break and def want to make it out there

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    when do you think you are heading out again? Im off next week for spring break and def want to make it out there
    I'll do my best to post up in advance. It really depends on the weather and so far it's calling for crap almost all week.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    i live close to op/leon creek....not rideable

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by security58 View Post
    i live close to op/leon creek....not rideable
    The amount of rain we got yesterday will cut down the ridable trails at L/C. First clear day we have I'm hitting Flat Rock...

mtbr member
    The amount of rain we got yesterday will cut down the ridable trails at L/C. First clear day we have I'm hitting Flat Rock...
    Flat Rock on Friday

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by XC-Trail-Man24 View Post
    Flat Rock on Friday
    Looking at the forecast it may be ready by Tuesday.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    op was great today! hitting up madrone trail tomorrow if anyone wants to go

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    How's McAllister?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I walked part of the blue trail yesterday and Mac (portion where the archway and the vista are) and there were many spots with puddles and slick mud. A few bikes had already gone through and tore it up pretty good. Looks like there was also a trail run over the weekend that did some damage, but many ran on the sides of the trail as you can see all new trampled trails.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    op was great today! hitting up madrone trail tomorrow if anyone wants to go
    Did you just ride OP or did you venture down into Leon Creek?

mtbr member
    Hitting up GC. Gave the park a call and they said back country is rid-able but the front country is sticky.

mtbr member
    Just had about a 6 mile ride through OP and Leon creek

Last bit was in the darkness but there was only a few water spots- lots of growth though!
    Last edited by XC-Trail-Man24; 03-15-2012 at 08:24 AM.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Rode OP last night and it's in great shape. I rode from the tower all the down to the bamboo forest and back up to the top again.

I rode Leon Creek a little and there's still some standing water.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    ^ ^ ^ ^
    Aaaah Great !

I should be back on the bike after a 6 month lay off ( had to prep my house for sale and work on the one I moved into )

I gotta a brand new Gary Fisher/Trek X-Caliber comin my way tomorrow

It wants to ride at OP
    I'd rather be riding than healing, body armor is your friend ! :D

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    My last appointment is at 1:00 today. I may hit OP with my little brother today around 3:00

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Got the bike !

Hope it don't rain much tonight, cause if it don't, I'll be at OP in the morning :P

I'll try and remember to report back.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Did a 2.5 hour ride at OP from 11 o clock am till 1:30 pm today ( Saturday ).

Trail conditions were good on the loop I usually ride, only 5 % of the trail had standing water, ( their was more off to the sides of the trail )

Dirt is hard packed and clay like from all the rain, doesn't stick much to your tires though and doesn't slow you down either.

Trail traffic was pretty light until I got ready to leave and then it picked up quite a bit, lotsa riders showed up at the end.

If your thinking about gettin out there this evening, do it. After today it may get a little messy for a few days.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    I was out there today too. We had a group of 4 riders. Started at 9:00 and rode until about 12:00. Great ride. The trails had little spots of water but nothing that wasn't easily avoided. Best ride I've had in the past couple of months due to the rain.

This stupid rain is gonna set us back again...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I rode McAllister yesterday. There were only 3 or 4 places on the Blue trail that had to be walked around. Plenty of people had motored through the slop but it's ruining the trail for them to do so. In fact, a lot of the trail is dry but heavily grooved from people riding in the mud when the trail was too wet.

Not too many people out on the trails yesterday. I only saw 4 other riders on the entire Blue trail.

mtbr member
    I was out there today too. We had a group of 4 riders. Started at 9:00 and rode until about 12:00. Great ride. The trails had little spots of water but nothing that wasn't easily avoided. Best ride I've had in the past couple of months due to the rain.

This stupid rain is gonna set us back again...
    I was apart of this group! Like he said not much water. It was tons of fun, went OTB and wiped out on a sketchy drop.... Worth every bit but my body feels it now!

If it rains here that's just more of an excuse to head out of town

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    went OTB and wiped out on a sketchy drop.... Worth every bit but my body feels it now!

Body Armor is your friend !

I bruised 5 ribs on a ride awhile back and now I never leave home without my armor.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    I was apart of this group! Like he said not much water. It was tons of fun, went OTB and wiped out on a sketchy drop.... Worth every bit but my body feels it now!

If it rains here that's just more of an excuse to head out of town
    What's up little bro...?

That was a great ride this weekend. Looks like we are going to get hammered with rain the next two days. An out of town ride looks like the ticket until the creek dries up again.

mtbr member
    What's up little bro...?

That was a great ride this weekend. Looks like we are going to get hammered with rain the next two days. An out of town ride looks like the ticket until the creek dries up again.
    There are some festivities in Fredericksburg this weekend- could be a good chance to visit flatrock!

We will have to keep an eye out where the rain doesn't hit.

mtbr member
    Rode mac today. There was only 3 or 4 spots where it was muddy walked around.... did 2 loops on the blue trail.

With the rain nothing will be ridable for a few days,....

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Going to ride the greenway out at BlueStar this evening. Probably have a cold one after the ride is done. We will hit the road around 7:30pm if anyone is interested.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Great ride last night. We planned on starting at BlueStar and heading toward the missions. Turns out there was high water over the greenway so we had to change plans. We rode from BlueStar into the King William district and then into downtown. From there we rode the RiverWalk all the way to Brackenridge Park and eventually the Zoo.

Turned out to be a really nice ride. Ended back at BlueStar and had a pizza and a few beers. They had the Spurs game on which was a nice bonus.

mtbr member
    Madrone is in great shape.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I'm thinkin Flat Rock Saturday morning if trail conditions permit.

If anyone has any info on trail conditions at Flat Rock I would love to hear it.

Thanks !

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Flat Rock will be good to go by Saturday for sure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    This is straight from Jimmy ( The Owner ) " Rode the lower loop 3/21/12 only mud found was black slick stuff before evil worm. Removed 2 down trees & minor deadfall. Weekend looks good "

Woo Hooo Yeah Baby !

Thanks In-Yo-Grill I just saw your Post !
    Last edited by Ted_R; 03-22-2012 at 06:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Any idea how Reimers ranch is?? Thinking about going out there for the first time this Saturday.. Don't hear much about it on this site.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    need to post so i can post a link sorry

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Who else is getting out this weekend?

Is McCallister too wet to ride? I'm thinking about going to Austin to ride Town Lake.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    going out to op today around 530. would like to do some good riding this weekend, maybe tapatillo? anyone down? i heard that mac is still pretty flooded

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Let us know how OP is, I may go there Sunday.

Tomorrow is Flat Rock !

In-Yo-Grill, where you gonna take the new niner this weekend ?

wheelie king
    Riding Mac tomorrow. Trek demo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    op was great today! there was a couple spots of standing water but overall it was great.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    op was great today! there was a couple spots of standing water but overall it was great.

Thanks for the Report ! I'll be there tomorrow.

I went to Flatrock today and trail conditions were very nice. I rode the lower loop and encountered no muddyness.

I remembered quickly that I need to be in better shape next time I go there, comin off a 6 month layoff was not the ideal time to try a run at Flatrock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I rode McAllister yesterday. Much fun, but 5 spots were under water and had to be walked around.

The Blue Bonnets are pretty though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trail conditions thread San Antonio-macpark-bonnets.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Yep, I went Sunday and indeed it was in nice condition. I was suprised how good a shape it was in so soon after the big rain earlier in the week.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
    I rode McAllister yesterday. Much fun, but 5 spots were under water and had to be walked around.

The Blue Bonnets are pretty though.

Nice Pic !

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Work has me by the short hairs. I'm going to try and get a trail ride in Thursday or Friday.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Rain...rain...go away.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Rain...rain...go away.

Oh man, I was all set to test my new GPS device on the trail this weekend, now there's this wet stuff comin out of the sky that makes the ground muddy.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    So far it hasn't come down like they said it would. If it doesn't rain hard today we may be out of the woods. Or able to get into the woods.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Anybody want to try and ride op today? I'll be free from 4-6

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    If you ride OP let us know what you find. I want to ride there Saturday and Sunday.

If the trail is to messy I may find myself ridin the Greenway Concrete trail of Glory this weekend Just to stay in shape of course

I noticed the chance of rain has been downgraded to 20 % for Thursday and Friday . This is down from 40% ( Thursday ) and 50 % ( Friday ) .

mtbr member
    I rode Leon Creek on Monday with a buddy's bike and that was my first time there. It was so much fun, that I am now looking at buying a MB. Trek from Bikeworld possibly,

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JMP0323 View Post
    I rode Leon Creek on Monday with a buddy's bike and that was my first time there. It was so much fun, that I am now looking at buying a MB. Trek from Bikeworld possibly,
    Trek, Cannondale, Giant or Specialized...IMHO all these bikes are very similar for the price range. Ride the different models and see what works best for you. Customer service is a big factor so make sure you will have a good re-pore with the bike shop.

I met Jaime from DropZone by McCallister Park a couple of weeks ago and although I've never bought anything from him, he seemed passionate about biking. I usually deal with the guys at Ride Away in Huebner Oaks. They have taken care of me, my family and friends for a long time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Trek, Cannondale, Giant or Specialized...IMHO all these bikes are very similar for the price range. Ride the different models and see what works best for you. Customer service is a big factor so make sure you will have a good re-pore with the bike shop.

I met Jaime from DropZone by McCallister Park a couple of weeks ago and although I've never bought anything from him, he seemed passionate about biking. I usually deal with the guys at Ride Away in Huebner Oaks. They have taken care of me, my family and friends for a long time.
    drop zone is bad ass, i drive 20 miles out of the way to give Jaime my business.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Mountain biking is fantastic fun

Drew at Bike World is a great guy to work with. I have had 3 Trek mountain bikes, they have all been super.

Consider buying a 29er ( wheel size ) most people agree they help smooth out the trail and make the overall experience more enjoyable as a result.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Do we have any word on OP trail conditions for this weekend yet ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    What about Madrone? Any word on it? Planning on going out tomorrow

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted_R View Post
    Mountain biking is fantastic fun

Drew at Bike World is a great guy to work with. I have had 3 Trek mountain bikes, they have all been super.

Consider buying a 29er ( wheel size ) most people agree they help smooth out the trail and make the overall experience more enjoyable as a result.

Thanks for the info. I will ask for him! For some reason when I sit on the 29er's I feel a little akward (like im going to tip over) Im 5'10. I feel more comfortable and planted on the 26...

Now I cant decide between the Trek 4300 - 4500 - 4900

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Biker View Post
    What about Madrone? Any word on it? Planning on going out tomorrow
    What is Madrone? Im assuming it is a trail or park I know nothing about.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    canyon lake... more of an austin area trail, but this seems like a more active thread.

mtbr member
    I'm planning on doing Leon Creek this Sunday. I will be out there with a few buddy's.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I feel more comfortable and planted on the 26...

Now I cant decide between the Trek 4300 - 4500 - 4900

Whichever makes you feel more comfortable ( 26 or 29 ) is what you should go for.

As far as which model, most folks on mountain bike forums will tell you to spend the most you can afford up front. This saves you from having to spend a lot on upgrades later.

When you first get started ride within your skill level, don't let people talk you into trying technical stuff that you don't feel comfortable with. You will naturally acquire more skills in time, in the meantime just enjoy being out there on the trail, in nature, and get some excellent, fun exercise.

Their is a wonderful book on mountain biking called " Mastering Mountain Biking Skills 2nd Edition " by Brian Lopes and Lee McCormack. It will get you up to speed quickly, I wish I had known about it when I first started. Again take it slow, the last % 40 percent of the book ( if I remember right ) is for pros mostly, so you won't need to know much of that.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Do we have any word on OP trail conditions for this weekend yet ?
    OP should be good to go. Leon Creek will probably have some muddy spots but nothing that cant be rode around.

Do you do OP from top to bottom?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Just finished riding Mac Park. Very hot. Very Humid. And the trail was pretty wet in 6 or 7 places. From now on I'm going earlier in the day. After 1 pm was just too unpleasant. I thought it would cool off in the woods, but it was so steamy in the wooded areas it was almost hotter than in the Sun.

wheelie king
    Great, I'm riding there tomorrow about noon.

Here's a short video from Macallister this past Monday.

Contour | Stories | 3-26-12 Macallister

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Was at OP between 10:30 and 3:30 and it was pretty sloppy in places. Mostly ( under the canopy ) in the trail area between OP and Bamberger on the side of the creek towards Bandera Hwy. That didn't stop the riders though, their were lots of folks out there.

By the time I was ridin out the trail had dried substantially in the areas exposed to direct sunlight.

I'll be back in the morning tomorrow and see how things look then.

On a side note I'm diggin my GPS tracker ! Don't have to worry about gettin lost, I just ride anywhere that looks interesting I can always find my way back to the car with the info and map it provides.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 661lee View Post
    Great, I'm riding there tomorrow about noon.

Here's a short video from Macallister this past Monday.

Contour | Stories | 3-26-12 Macallister
    That must be the Red Trail. I ride the Blue trail all the time so I don't recognize that. I'll have to try the Red Trail next time.

wheelie king
    creativepart: According to my friend that I was following, it was a mix of both. BTW, nice bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Rode alot of trails in the Bamberger park area, then ventured down to OP and then continued down to Bandera Hwy all via trail. After that I rode back up to Bamberger partially on trail and partly via the Greenway. It seemed to be much less slushy today. Was at the park between 10:30 and 2:30.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Do you do OP from top to bottom?

I mostly ride close to the creekbed, I really don't know much about the top part, not even where to get on. Maybe someone will enlighten me some day. Lately I have been getting on at Bamberger because it's closer to my new residence and then I ride down to OP ( usually via the creekbed trails ).

mtbr member
    As the 2nd Government Canyon is in great shape.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    I mostly ride close to the creekbed, I really don't know much about the top part, not even where to get on. Maybe someone will enlighten me some day. Lately I have been getting on at Bamberger because it's closer to my new residence and then I ride down to OP ( usually via the creekbed trails ).
    We need to do a MTBR SA division ride some time soon. I'm sure we could learn lots of stuff from each other. I can get about 20+ miles out of Lean Creek and OP combined. I'm sure there's lots of stuff I haven't seen yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I rode about 12 miles at Salado Creek on Sunday. It was nearly perfect and one of the best rides I've had in a while (except for crashing and thrashing my rear brake lever...new upgrades!!)

I would be in for a MTBR SA Division ride. I know there are many parts I don't know well or could know better to maximize my riding.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Gonna hit Leon Creek and OP tomorrow morning at 9:00am. If anyone wants to meet up post here. I'll check back in the morning.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I rode 10 miles this morning at MAC around the blue and red trails. There are still a few spots that are muddy, but enough people have gone around them to make an alternate route. I think I was the only person in the park, great ride.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    hitting leon creek again today with my son and little brother. Should be there around 4:30

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Had a good ride this afternoon. Most all the spots that were wet are drying up fast. By Monday any water or mud will be good to go. Ended up showing my little bro about 14miles of variety.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    No rain predictions for the weekend !

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    No rain predictions for the weekend !
    The next time I go ride I'll need to spray myself with OFF. Lots of creepy crawlies get on you from riding through the tall weeds. And I HATE spiders...!!!

mtbr member
    The next time I go ride I'll need to spray myself with OFF. Lots of creepy crawlies get on you from riding through the tall weeds. And I HATE spiders...!!!
    I'll second that- it's kind of fun going through all the tall brush- untill you hit those darn weeds with the spikes/thorns-I am more afraid of those than spiders! :

Just a suggestion to everyone- It would be a great idea to either invest in long tube socks and/or shin guards!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Just a suggestion to everyone- It would be a great idea to either invest in long tube socks and/or shin guards!

I got both and Body Armor, it really helps with all the vegetation, of course it's main job is to keep me from breaking things.

I'll be at Leon Creek, Op, Bamberger, etc. tomorrow morning Been waitin all week Baby !
    Last edited by Ted_R; 04-06-2012 at 04:58 PM.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Met up with utsamtber at Leon Creek this afternoon. Good to meet you Rene. Did some of the more fun drops.

Let's get a group ride together sometime soon. Our rides can accommodate all skill levels.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Rode Leon Creek this morning ( Bamberger, OP, down to Bandera and back up to Bamberger ).

Trails look great ! Very little mud left

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I road Mac this afternoon it's drying out really well. Great ride!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Met up with utsamtber at Leon Creek this afternoon. Good to meet you Rene. Did some of the more fun drops.

Let's get a group ride together sometime soon. Our rides can accommodate all skill levels.
    i had a great time meeting up with yall. we def need to do it again and try to get a large group out there one of these weekends.

mtbr member
    We usually have a good size group.

On meetup.com
    San Antonio books and mountain bike club..
    We do the bike thing more. We just did MAC at night Fri. Sat we did flat rock.

Free to join up..... We have rides for all skill levels.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!

Thanks to utsamtber for showing us this spot. Took the leap of faith and it's no cake walk. Kind of a quick turn once you make the jump.

mtbr member
    ^^ My fork took a beating on this one!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    looking to get in a serious 20+ miles today starting at op. If anyone is interested let me know! Ill probably start around 515-530

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    looking to get in a serious 20+ miles today starting at op. If anyone is interested let me know! Ill probably start around 515-530
    No go for me tonight. Tomorrow and/or Wednesday for me. I'll post up when I'm going.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks to utsamtber for showing us this spot. Took the leap of faith and it's no cake walk. Kind of a quick turn once you make the jump.
    I found that spot quite by accident 3 rides back, the drop is bigger than it looks in the picture. I pedaled right up to the edge, smiled, turned around and rode off

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    I found that spot quite by accident 3 rides back, the drop is bigger than it looks in the picture. I pedaled right up to the edge, smiled, turned around and rode off
    utsamtber double dog dared me so I had to save face...lol

It does look higher in person for sure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    utsamtber double dog dared me so I had to save face...lol

It does look higher in person for sure.
    lol yea right, I turned around and you were already flying off of it.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!

BlueStar ride tonight...

Start at BlueStar micro brewery, head south to the missions and then back into to downtown toward Brackenridge Park. All in all we will get 16 or so miles out of the ride.

We usually start around 7:00pm

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Start at BlueStar micro brewery, head south to the missions and then back into to downtown toward Brackenridge Park. All in all we will get 16 or so miles out of the ride.

We usually start around 7:00pm
    how many people do this? mtb, or road bike?

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    how many people do this? mtb, or road bike?
    It's a combo between paved greenway, riverwalk and road. We actually ride along the riverwalk for a while and end up at the Pearl brewery. Usually have between 4-6 people

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    As he begins packing for his Saturday morning ride... he looks at the sky....questioningly

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Rode Leon Creek today ( Bamberger, OP, down to Bandera and back ) from 8:30 to 11:30am and the trail was great ! I encountered no problems. It rained a little and I found some nice trees to stand under.

Not many people on the trail at all, I guess they were concerned about the possibility of rain.

Unless it comes down in buckets tonight I'll be back out there tomorrow. Supposed to have a 20 % chance tonight and 30 % chance tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Rode again today from 10:15 am to 12:45. I did the same loop at Leon Creek as yesterday and once again the trail was great ! The only way you could tell their had been any rain at all was the color of the soil in a few places.

About half way through my ride I rode straight into the cool front at speed, that's such a trip ! The temperatire dropped 20 degrees in just a few seconds, what a rush !
    Last edited by Ted_R; 04-15-2012 at 05:11 PM.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Rode again today from 10:15 am to 12:45. I did the same loop at Leon Creek as yesterday and once again the trail was great ! The only way you could tell their had been any rain at all was the color of the soil in a few places.

About half way through my ride I rode straight into the cool front at speed, that's such a trip ! The temperatire dropped 20 degrees in just a few seconds, what a rush !
    I took my boy for a training ride yesterday. He is preping for a marathon at the end of the month which includes a ten mile ride. We hit some utility dirt paths and ended up coming home on the pavement by Sea World. It was super humid but once we got home the cool front hit and it was nice. Want to ride this afternoon or tomorrow for sure if I can get away from work.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Rode Mcallister yesterday, was pleasantly surprised at the condition of the trails. I guess it hadn't seen much rain cause we encountered very minimal mud. Was able to pick up some great speed!

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Anybody riding LC in the next couple of days?
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm new to SA and interested in finding the best local trails. I'm for the ozarks so rocks aren't going to other me. I hear govt canyon backcountry is insane but I'm also looking for info on some in town stuff I can hit riding from my house near 1604 and la Cantera...

Oh I ride a lot of road too (Tarmac) so anyone hitting local evening rides chime in and let me know the good ends to hit! Looking fwd to meeting some new riders and checking out the green belt trails and whatever else SA has to offer.

Anyone local riding a SS 29er?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    your in luck because your right by the entrance to leon creek trails. The park is right by the drury hotel at 1604 and 10. we can get together and i can show you the trails that i know. about 18 miles worth

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Cool... Are they all single track? Do they go north of 1604 or south? I got the impression a lot of them were paved... I was hoping for dirt...

Waiting for my cycling gear to get here then I'll be ready to roll.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    the trails are north of 1604. however if you start at the particular park you have about 5 miles of pavement before you hit the dirt trails. If you start at bamberger park on babcock you can hop right on the trails. It is all single track

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Killer!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Pretty excited about the cycling scene here in SA.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    we have a lot of good riding in town, and some great riding within 2 hours. when you want to go to gov canyon let me know, I live a couple miles from there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    lol sounds good! ill be riding friday afternoon for a few hours. let me know if you can make it out

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Shoot me a PM when you guys want to go. I'm down for a little group ride. Been almost two weeks since I hit the trails. I'm dying. Work is for CHUMPS!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the invite... Unfortunately it will be a few weeks before I can get out on the trails. I'm in the middle of a move and all I have is my Tarmac with me. Even worse is I can't even ride that because I accidentally packed my shoes, helmet and kits in a box which is somewhere between San Antonio and Springfield, mo...

On the hunt for a 29er SS or 1x9 to handle my trail needs here. Maybe I'll find one soon and can just wing it till my gear arrives!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kstateskier View Post
    Cool... Are they all single track? Do they go north of 1604 or south? I got the impression a lot of them were paved... I was hoping for dirt...

Waiting for my cycling gear to get here then I'll be ready to roll.

The Leon Creek trails are south of 1604 and reeaaaly nice, plenty of dirt there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The Leon Creek trails are south of 1604 and reeaaaly nice, plenty of dirt there.
    haha man im glad you caught that, I guess I completely spaced when I said north earlier.

mtbr member
    Hey if anyone can meet up for weekdays rides I can usually make them. I'm usually working all day on the weekends. Next week I might hit up Flat Rock on Monday in the afternoon. If anyone is interested post up. I'm typically a slow starter but after 5 or so miles I warm up.

Big Red and Barbacoa
    Hey guys I'm new to this forum and just found out there was a "Texas" section! Pretty stoked to see some like-minded people. Anyway if yall ever see me on the trail feel free to stop me and say hi. I'm probably the only n00b taking a dirt jumper on trails but that's what I'm working with till I get some funds for a new ride. I ride an all black Trek TR-20 with a lime green helmet. I'll be out around noon or 1 today probably starting either at LC or OP and I'm going to try and hit it again tomorrow morning as well. See yall out there!

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    I'll be out there tomorrow around lunchtime. I'm sporting a lime green Stumpy with gold bling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast