Top 3 Trails in Texas- Mtbr.com
    i am, therefore, i ride

Top 3 Trails in Texas

Texas Riders, here's a question: In your opinion, what are the top 3 trails to ride in Texas? Factor in technical difficulty, view, accessibility, etc. I like the technical difficulty of City Park in Austin, the view of Palo Duro Canyon and the all-around trail of Cameron Park. But overall, here's my list and I'm sure riders will tend to agree and disagree:

1st - Cameron Park, Waco
    2nd - Camp Eagle, Rocksprings
    3rd - Palo Duro Canyon, Lubbock

mtbr member
    1. Flat Rock Ranch, Comfort, TX
    2. Franklin Mountains ("Tom Mays") State Park, El Paso, TX
    3. Huntsville State Park, Huntsville (Beautiful Lake )

mtbr member
    1.Bar-H
    2.Dinosaur Valley
    3.Erwin Park (yeah babieeee)

i am, therefore, i ride
    Yeah, i heard about Erwin Park in Mckinney..... " The Dips " that will test your technical ability. Comparable to City Park in Austin...... great choice !

Bar-H in St. Jo, Flat Rock in Comfort..... always looking forward to them in TMBRA series.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    keep'm coming (subscribing!)

"Clatto Verata Nicto"
    Feb 2006
    Rocky Hill Ranch, Smithville (local trailage, not as cool as it was when it had burgers and beer)

Flat Rock Ranch, Comfort

Madrone Trail, Canyon Lake

mtbr member
    Cool! No one has listed the best of the best. So, it'll remain a secret.

-- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick

I lived at that trial - fun, but there has to be some other great ones in TX! This is the what, 2nd largest state in the union?

mtbr member
    Holy crap! I can't believe I forgot! My first choice is LAJITAS! Say hello to the mayor for me!! (And have a drink with him, too)

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Why mention this at all?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr
    Why mention this at all?
    Why ask why?

-- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Why ask why?

A friend's kid tried this with me once, so without a word, I grabbed his little feet and dangled him upside down until he forgot what we were talking about!

mtbr member
    Wolf Ticket!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    in no particular order:
    ** Muleshoe
    ** Rocky Hill
    ** Fruita, Co

In exile
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr
    A friend's kid tried this with me once, so without a word, I grabbed his little feet and dangled him upside down until he forgot what we were talking about!

If you end up with anything dangling in front of Patrick, he may take you up on it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nico2me
    Palo Duro Canyon in Lubbock?

I think not. It is in Canyon, Texas which is a fair drive from Lubbock,
    it is much, much closer to Amarillo if you looking for the nearest city
    that people might recognize.

Bionic Mtn Biker
    There are too many trails to list in Texas alone, and it'll take years to ride them all, but of the 10 I've ridden, my top 3:

Technical Challenge - Emma Long Metro Park, Austin. Butt over rear wheel descents and lactic acid inducing climbs. Lots of loose rocks and baby heads. Has your fair share of hair pin turns (too fast and you'll go over the edge). Bring your pads, band-aids, and some antiseptic.

Most Fun - Rocky Hill Ranch, Smithville. Just enough of a challenge with a very intuitive map system (but first-timers may find that the trails aren't marked well). The trails are creatively named (Nothing beats Fat Chuck's demise!). Something for everyone, good number of rest stops, perfect for group rides.

Get in and Get out - Memorial Park or The Anthills, Houston. Since I live in Houston (so no road trip), these are my mainstays. I can catch a ride after work, especially now in the summer when there's a few hours of sun left after 5. Memorial Park is great for beginners, and still challenging enough for intermediates. Advanced riders can test their skills in time trials. The triangle is where you go after graduating from the main trails. The Anthills have always been fun. Great rolling singletrack along the Buffalo Bayou, ideal ride for de-stressing and "relaxing". I'll take out my jumper if I'm up for an adrenaline rush and catching air, and head to an, *ahem* undisclosed location. If you happen upon here, be sure to pay your dues by keeping the area in pristine condition.
    Better than he was before. Better. . . Stronger. . . Faster. (but not smarter)

bcd
    mtbr member
    Texas Riders, here's a question: In your opinion, what are the top 3 trails to ride in Texas? Factor in technical difficulty, view, accessibility, etc. I like the technical difficulty of City Park in Austin, the view of Palo Duro Canyon and the all-around trail of Cameron Park. But overall, here's my list and I'm sure riders will tend to agree and disagree:

1st - Cameron Park, Waco
    2nd - Camp Eagle, Rocksprings
    DEFF not lubbock, lubbock is a hole.

its canyon or amarillo fro PDC.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iin0Y3hQvhg

mtbr member
    I love RHR it's a blast.. And I agree, it blows that the Saloon is gone. Other then that, just local Austin trails. My top 3 list sux.

mtbr member
    Last edited by Evil Patrick; 06-15-2007 at 04:42 AM.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Where's this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_KynYJbtbI

"cause it ROCKS! And TREES!
    Obviously some hiker & dog only trail, poached as a refuge for stubborn Quasi holdouts.

i am, therefore, i ride

i stand corrected

Quote Originally Posted by bcd
    DEFF not lubbock, lubbock is a hole.

its canyon or amarillo fro PDC.
    Palo Duro Canyon is in Canyon, TX........... nearest big town is Amarillo.

i am, therefore, i ride
    Speaking of Rocky Hill Ranch, there will be a Demo Ride on June 23rd, Saturday. About 15 - 20 bikes will be available, Reps and Mechanics from Giant, Felt Racing and Santa Cruz will be on hand. The first 100 riders to demo their bikes get a "pass" on ride fees at the ranch. That's right, they will pay for you to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Speaking of Rocky Hill Ranch, there will be a Demo Ride on June 23rd, Saturday. About 15 - 20 bikes will be available, Reps and Mechanics from Giant, Felt Racing and Santa Cruz will be on hand. The first 100 riders to demo their bikes get a "pass" on ride fees at the ranch. That's right, they will pay for you to ride.
    Who is running this show?
    There has been no publicity about it....

i am, therefore, i ride
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Who is running this show?
    There has been no publicity about it....
    Bicycle World and Fitness in Houston is the sponsor. Ads have been posted in every local forum here in town. Here's the link: http://bicycleworldandfitness.com/index.cfm

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Right on, no news of it in Austin!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Right on, no news of it in Austin!
    Well, the Houston riders really need the tough bikes.

-- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

mtbr member
    May 2004
    EP-
    Bike paths have potholes. Duh.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Barton Creek Greenbelt (anything off the main trail): toy r us, hol sides, s16, dump truck, naked jogger, hobo camp, etc...take a swim in cold water and stare and girls in bikinis. you have to ride off the main trail by the creek to have any fun. bring a GPS and start looking for left or right hand turns OFF the main trail by the creek.

City Park is a lot of fun if you have the skills. Seen a lot of people get injured at City Park overstepping their talent.

Muleshoe is a good ride for all levels. If its too easy, go faster and try not to hit the trees.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mappable
    Barton Creek Greenbelt (anything off the main trail): toy r us, hol sides, s16, dump truck, naked jogger, hobo camp, etc...take a swim in cold water and stare and girls in bikinis. you have to ride off the main trail by the creek to have any fun. bring a GPS and start looking for left or right hand turns OFF the main trail by the creek.
    Not recommended, unless you're into pushing your luck getting arrested and having your bike confiscated. Intensified enforcement is a reality.

i am, therefore, i ride
    No doubt Austin has the best trails in Texas. No argument that Austin is the best place for mountainbiking with the different and available trails all over the city. One question though, how come Austin cannot organize a race in the TMBRA series with all the nice trails available in Austin?

Houston is always regarded as the worst city for mountainbiking in Texas. Again, no argument being flat and all. Well, at least we do a couple of race venues every year.

mtbr member
    One question though, how come Austin cannot organize a race in the TMBRA series with all the nice trails available in Austin?
    Two reasons that I can think of:

The "nice" trails are in no way race-friendly. Way too technical. Too rocky, tight and twisty,
    with plenty of "features" that will chew up and spit out (injuries and broken bikes)
    non-technical riders. There are too many racers that are in great shape for the typical TMBRA
    race courses, yet have low skills for "All Mountain" riding. Sure, there's a small percentage
    of racers that can handle the buttruff, but there's a larger percentage that cannot.

The best trails are not "available".
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

i am, therefore, i ride
    Two reasons that I can think of:

The "nice" trails are in no way race-friendly. Way too technical. Too rocky, tight and twisty,
    with plenty of "features" that will chew up and spit out (injuries and broken bikes)
    non-technical riders. There are too many racers that are in great shape for the typical TMBRA
    race courses, yet have low skills for "All Mountain" riding.

The best trails are not "available".
    You are probably right if you are referring to City Park. On the other hand, Austin has plenty of trails IMHO that can be used in a TMBRA series, e.g. Muleshoe. I love Austin trails and would love to see it be a part of a TMBRA series.

As far as TMBRA racers being in shape but not fit to ride "nice" Austin trails, I don't know about that. Nate Winkleman of the Woodlands is the 2006 National Super D Champion in the men's 19-29 class. Great technical skills but only finished 26th overall in the P/S/E TMBRA Spring Series. Lots of junior racers doing well in the National level as well in Cross Country, Mountain Cross, Downhill, Super D and 4X.

mtbr member
    You are probably right if you are referring to City Park. On the other hand, Austin has plenty of trails IMHO that can be used in a TMBRA series, e.g. Muleshoe. I love Austin trails and would love to see it be a part of a TMBRA series.
    I agree. Not sure what the "hang up" is.

As far as TMBRA racers being in shape but not fit to ride "nice" Austin trails, I don't know about that. Nate Winkleman of the Woodlands is the 2006 National Super D Champion in the men's 19-29 class. Great technical skills but only finished 26th overall in the P/S/E TMBRA Spring Series. Lots of junior racers doing well in the National level as well in Cross Country, Mountain Cross, Downhill, Super D and 4X.

"Nice" trails:

* blast over a 3 mile long, continuous rock garden of football to truck-tire sized rocks that don't move - embedded into the earth
    * climb and descend very long, 30% grades of limestone stair steps and baby heads
    * require you to often twitch your bars to wiggle through the tight trees
    * make many tight switchbacks that require almost a track-stand to clean
    * go over the rhino-sized boulders
    * go over the 2 ft. diameter logs
    * require you to keep your wheels on the stunt
    * have more off-camber turns
    * make you constantly commit to a line that has dire consequences if you stray
    * are a lot more difficult than City Park

Not sure how much of this anyone sees on a TMBRA race course. Not much, I suspect.
    My point is that it doesn't take a rider capable of mastering the bullets above to be
    successful in the TMBRA circuit.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

i am, therefore, i ride
    I agree with you on that one since TMBRA is a Cross Country event. On the other hand, latest TMBRA poll shows that most riders want a variety, i.e., Downhill and Super D. Personally, I think Austin would be a good venue for it since Austin is home to some of the best trails in Texas. We frequent the trails there since we don't have such here besides Jack Brooks and Anthills which are elementary compared to Austin trails.

Heck, APARD already has a junior racing team. Why can't they organize a race and make it part of the series? I'm sure a lot of us would love and support to include Austin in the venue.

glassphisheye
    El paso has the best riding by far in Texas. There are actually mountains here. I guess hills are ok but mountains are what mountain bikes were made for. Some of the most technical riding in the U.S.

Mtc
    mtbr member
    HAHaHaHaHAHaHaHaHAHaHaHaHAHaHaHa.

Stop it your killing me ElPaso, whew almost wet myself. Well ElPaso is close to cool stuff, but its close to ElPaso also.
    I work with guys from El Paso and his crew comes here for fun and cool trails. Several just moved here.

Flat Rock
    Flat Creek
    Cameron Park.

Most trails in Austin.

glassphisheye
    Austin? Are you serious? Dude there are no mountains in Austin. Hills are ok I guess but where the hell do you get your adrenaline? Your buddies probably ride in austin for the same reason my grandma does. It's easy on the arthritis. Need mountains to mountain bike or at least thats the way I like it.

i am, therefore, i ride
    Quote Originally Posted by glassphisheye
    Austin? Are you serious? Dude there are no mountains in Austin. Hills are ok I guess but where the hell do you get your adrenaline? Your buddies probably ride in austin for the same reason my grandma does. It's easy on the arthritis. Need mountains to mountain bike or at least thats the way I like it.
    Yeah.... I heard so much about trails in El Paso but cannot attest to it since I have never been nor ride them yet. BTW, what is the elevation peak of the highest mountain (Franklin, I believe...... correct me pls) in El Paso. I heard the high point is 7,192 feet?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    How about Big Bend? That would probably be my choice for #1, though it's kinda out there

Next would probably be Palo Duro or El Paso, but again they're kinda out there. Does anyone know if you can ride in Guadalupe NP? I've never checked.

After that, Austin probably has the most good trails of any place that's actually reasonably close to most of the population, though Cameron Park is probably as good or better than any one trail in Austin.

mtbr member

You wouldn't be able to hang.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Zboaz trails in SW Ft. Worth...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I am an intermediate rider at best. Come out to austin and I can take you to some trails where I can whip your ass. You don't need mountains for mountain biking and I can guarantee you that the skills you build riding on austin trails are transferrable to a lot of different places.

And if you like "mountains" I will take your challenge as well. Come with me to Seoul to see what real mountains are all about. And the racer boys there ride the singletrack UP and the fireroads DOWN. Plus, in the midst of some of the craziest downhills, they will give you the full formal bow as they pass you.

Get out and see the world. It's big and there's lots of things to do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

San Antonio is where it's at

1) Comfort
    2) Tapitio Springs
    3) Hill Country Natural Area
    Bonus: Government Canyon, it's a litle to manicured now, but the more folks ride it, the rougher it will get.

post-ride specialist

You wouldn't be able to hang.

I know where my $$$ would be...
    Since when did Need have anything to do with this?

mtbr member
    Yeah.... I heard so much about trails in El Paso but cannot attest to it since I have never been nor ride them yet. BTW, what is the elevation peak of the highest mountain (Franklin, I believe...... correct me pls) in El Paso. I heard the high point is 7,192 feet?
    Yep. I hike it about once a month. Great views up on top.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by icegeek
    I know where my $$$ would be...
    Hitting the sauce again I see.

post-ride specialist
    You're still a purulent a$$hole, I see.
    Since when did Need have anything to do with this?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    now boys, back to best trails...
    there has to be even more epic stuff out there.
    EPIC!

glassphisheye
    I am still pretty shure you need mountains to mountain bike. But hey if you like going slow as ****, then go ahead. You probably could whup my ass on the flats But point that baby downhill and your ass is toast. Maybe you should roadbike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtc
    HAHaHaHaHAHaHaHaHAHaHaHaHAHaHaHa.

Stop it your killing me ElPaso, whew almost wet myself. Well ElPaso is close to cool stuff, but its close to ElPaso also.
    I work with guys from El Paso and his crew comes here for fun and cool trails. Several just moved here.

Flat Rock
    Flat Creek
    Cameron Park.

Most trails in Austin.
    U R jealous? El Paso KIKS arse!! Not the town but the terrain is KILLER !! R U scared? Iffn u come over I bet ya I could scare ALL of Yall on this thread!! We have some trails around here that will make u a manly man.. If u dont believe me I am givin u a invite to come and check it out.. We have the SCARIEST trails in Texas !!! Bring ur big cojones!! peace

mtbr member
    I'm going to start a thread so all of you guys with something to prove can whip out your d***s and see who can hang. Can we get back to epic rides?

Anyone ride Lajitas?
    Show Charlie Murphy your hubs

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Alright, I rarely post here but I am going to chime in on this one. To start, I have ridden in Austin, Say town and other random spots in the middle of ass-nowhere texas. In Austin I've ridden Twin parks(peaks, springs I forget what its called but it was fun) the 9th street trails, tons of stuff around zilker(trials and xc etc...) and a few other trails that I rode without knowing anything about. In San Antonio, I've ridden the OP, Mc Callister, and one other place. Admittedly I can't claim that I've ridden all the terrain these places have to offer but I would say I've sampled them and know atleast what the terrain is like there.

That being said, I live in El Paso... And I have to say I would hate this city if it weren't for the mountain biking. But we have so much riding and such a variety that it completely redeems this place for me. I would argue that the best riding in Tx. is here, but thats not to say that alot of places in "real" Texas don't have awesome riding too.(El Paso is so out of the way that I could see how one could really just see it as an extension of Mexico.) I will say that as far as Freeriding and DH, El Paso hands down has more because of the elevation gains available to us. I know alot of people would argue this, but with big mountains come big rocks, so I would also say we have some of the most technical riding. (think not baby head rocks but more stairsets of shelfrock and never-ending rockgardens)

I submit Roughrider Canyon Freeride park a bit east of El Paso as the best place to ride in Tx if your looking for freeriding or DH. It is without a doubt the best place to ride DH in Tx. I've ridden most of the resorts in Colorado, Angel fire, Moab, Lake Tahoe, Sedona, and tons of other mountains and I can honestly say that when it comes to stuff so techy that it almost stops being fun,(almost) Roughrider Canyons got it.

I just saw that one of the rating factors is accesibility and I will admit El Paso is a little out of the way for the rest of Tx. But seriously, if anyone ever heads out this way I think you'll be pleasantly suprised at what we've got.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yall east texans have a few damn good riders over there, Clay & Patrik wasup!!.. I wish we had trees.. But we have some really cool mountains.. There has to be some private stuff yall (east texans) can build.. I KNOW there are small cliffbands/ boulders here and there.. They may not be tall, but if you can get access. I hope yall can work on it.. I love PDC !! It has some awesome freeride.. Austin could have some but its all private.. Yall should have plenty o nice xc lines.. We have an XC line at Roughrider Canyon as well.. peace

On the other note, i wish i could whip it out , i will LOSE the big D comp so i am out.. damnit..

Got Mojo?

Lajitas is dead. Viva Terlingua!

Quote Originally Posted by Gapp
    I'm going to start a thread so all of you guys with something to prove can whip out your d***s and see who can hang.
    I agree completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Gapp
    Can we get back to epic rides?

Anyone ride Lajitas?

The Lajitas trail system is fun. Also for consideration is the Contrabando trail in Big Bend Ranch State Park. .

Along with any of the 'locals' trails...

aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

I wanna go fast!
    Oct 2005
    Camp Eagle, Bar H, and Cameron Park for me probably, but there are a lot of places I haven't ridden yet. I like the winding through the pine trees of East Texas (there is a short trail across from SFA in Nacogdoches that is pretty awesome...it is like a World Cup XC course, really...) but I also like the climbing (and descending) of places like Bar H and Camp Eagle. Cameron Park has a nice mix of everything.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    #1 Xtreme Caution
    #2 PDC state park
    #3 Boozers trails

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    1. Tyler State Park
    2. Huntsville State Park
    3. Anything dry and rideable.

i am, therefore, i ride
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpjumper_steve
    3. Anything dry and rideable.
    Amen to that brother..... anything dry and rideable is the best trail to ride right now.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    The greenbelt was in great shape today. Had a great ride.

Salty Snacks!
    Rode Boomer's today.. it was nice and dry.. other than the bottom of the hills.. but even there wasn't bad..

mtbr member
    The "nice" trails are in no way race-friendly. Way too technical. Too rocky, tight and twisty,with plenty of "features" that will chew up and spit out (injuries and broken bikes) non-technical riders. There are too many racers that are in great shape for the typical TMBRA race courses, yet have low skills for "All Mountain" riding. Sure, there's a small percentage of racers that can handle the buttruff, but there's a larger percentage that cannot.
    The problem, as I understand it, is that most of Austin's trails are on city-owned public parkland and PARD can't/won't take on the injury liability, not to mention the degradation of the trails. I don't think it's because TMBRA specifically chooses noob-friendly courses.

In the early 90s we had races regularly at City Park, one on the Greenbelt starting below (and climbing) Toys-R-Us, and a race series that alternated between Pease Park (!) and Walnut Creek.

i am, therefore, i ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Godless Communist
    In the early 90s we had races regularly at City Park, one on the Greenbelt starting below (and climbing) Toys-R-Us, and a race series that alternated between Pease Park (!) and Walnut Creek.
    It would be nice if TMBRA could bring a race venue back to Austin.........

bcd
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Godless Communist

i remember those races.

i won the pro expert one year there. the one that was a 2 day race.

suprized myself, but tight trails in trees was what i am all about.

who was the promoter, i stayed at his house but can't remember

his name?

alex morgan

Wooo YEAAAH!
    Oct 2006
    I agree. Not sure what the "hang up" is.

"Nice" trails:

* blast over a 3 mile long, continuous rock garden of football to truck-tire sized rocks that don't move - embedded into the earth
    * climb and descend very long, 30% grades of limestone stair steps and baby heads
    * require you to often twitch your bars to wiggle through the tight trees
    * make many tight switchbacks that require almost a track-stand to clean
    * go over the rhino-sized boulders
    * go over the 2 ft. diameter logs
    * require you to keep your wheels on the stunt
    * have more off-camber turns
    * make you constantly commit to a line that has dire consequences if you stray
    * are a lot more difficult than City Park

Not sure how much of this anyone sees on a TMBRA race course. Not much, I suspect.
    My point is that it doesn't take a rider capable of mastering the bullets above to be
    successful in the TMBRA circuit.

Damn, I miss Austin

In SoCal now--the mountains are nice but its all desert, even next to the ocean.

mtbr member
    If anyone ever is in the Laredo area bring your bike Morales Ranch . Definately most technical in south tx....ohhh and brings lots of tubes!

Tossin the salad.
    Austin has no good trails?

mtbr member
    I saw the DH video of Palo Duro Canyon. Is that a shuttle situation and how long is it down? The clips makes it look fairly interesting.
    "Pour water in the tea pot and it becomes the tea pot. Be water my friend." - Bruce Lee

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TX_Shifter
    Austin has no good trails?

Nope, not a single one

http://www.austinbike.com

Tossin the salad.
    I was being sarcastic :P

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bake
    I saw the DH video of Palo Duro Canyon. Is that a shuttle situation and how long is it down? The clips makes it look fairly interesting.
    did I miss the link?

I would love to go up there some weekend and camp/ride. It is a bit of a drive from ATX, but hey, why not?

i am, therefore, i ride
    Quote Originally Posted by TX_Shifter
    I was being sarcastic :P
    Instead of criticizing, why don't you vote your top 3 trails instead? Even if it means you only ride Austin trails and nowhere else.....
    "Life is good..... enjoy it !!!!!"

Tossin the salad.
    Instead of criticizing, why don't you vote your top 3 trails instead? Even if it means you only ride Austin trails and nowhere else.....

I do enjoy Walnut creek even when it was 103 degrees. I plan to ride much much more when I get my new bike next weekend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Anyone that does not have the greenbelt as one of their top 3 rides in austin is either lying or a roadie. Take your pick, neither one is a good thing to be called.

Tossin the salad.
    plan to ride the GB also, My office is like five steps to access zilker

Jumper
    -Trail Blazer Park at BLORA Lake in Killeen (smoker)

-San Angelo State Park

-Government Canyon

mtbr member
    Austin is OK, I rode there while living in TX, but I wonder what do you guys mean by "long steep" climbs? So I am doing this night ride here in Oakland and we usually do 4-5K feet of climbing over 17-20mi, and some of these climbs are > than 2 mi long and VERY steep (15 + degrees). I do not think that Austin trails feature any climb of such length.

bcd
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jumper780
    -Trail Blazer Park at BLORA Lake in Killeen (smoker)

-San Angelo State Park

-Government Canyon
    i am racing in san angelo this weekend.

anything that you need a 1-1 gear on?

alex

Jumper
    There is definately some straight fast track. Is there a race there at the State Park this weekend?
    I might have to drive up. Do you have a site to get the info on?
    I went middle of summer, spent two hours, and still didn't finish riding all the park. I ran out of water and had to head back.

i am, therefore, i ride
    Quote Originally Posted by poff
    Austin is OK, I rode there while living in TX, but I wonder what do you guys mean by "long steep" climbs? So I am doing this night ride here in Oakland and we usually do 4-5K feet of climbing over 17-20mi, and some of these climbs are > than 2 mi long and VERY steep (15 + degrees). I do not think that Austin trails feature any climb of such length.
    You still did not answer the title of the post..... top 3 trails in Texas.....
    "Life is good..... enjoy it !!!!!"

bcd
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jumper780
    There is definately some straight fast track. Is there a race there at the State Park this weekend?
    I might have to drive up. Do you have a site to get the info on?
    I went middle of summer, spent two hours, and still didn't finish riding all the park. I ran out of water and had to head back.
    http://www.wtcycling.com/wforum/view...693e93df4a9786

Jumper
    Hey, thanks. I think I am going to drive down and enter that race. Which cat are you racing in? I am going to try and get a couple of guys from the lbs to come with me. Come say hi, I will be on a blue Haro Shift with white Fox forks.
    Good luck!!

bcd
    mtbr member
    ex 30+, i have a orange spez 29er.

i have not raced there but it should be good stuff.

alex

I wanna go fast!
    Oct 2005
    The trails out at the State Park are pretty fun, and some of them are kind of challenging, but you shouldn't need anything as extreme as a granny gear to get up any of it. I've made it up pretty much everything out there on my singlespeed running a 32/16 and the biggest drawback was running out of gear on the fast, flat sections.

Also, depending on where you are on the trails, there are several places where you can stop and get potable water on the trails. Just a heads up for next time

Just ride.
    1) Big Cedar DH Section
    2) Dinasour Valley
    3) Not sure...

mtbr member
    In SA....

Salado creek all with in the city
    Government canyon
    Leon creet at mainland

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Newb in Houston. Glad I found this forum can't wait to try out some more trails.

So far I've been riding the trails off cypresswood. I think they are a lot of fun and good for beginners.

TeXaS BoY
    Jan 2004
    1. muleshoe
    2. tyler sp
    3. lake bryan
    Don't live in fear. Be ready.

I love my bike like a fat kid loves cake.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm partial to Erwin, but thats because it's so close to my house.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Daytona600 View Post
    Newb in Houston. Glad I found this forum can't wait to try out some more trails.

So far I've been riding the trails off cypresswood. I think they are a lot of fun and good for beginners.
    Memorial Park is pretty fun as well.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    1. Flat Rock Ranch
    2. Madrone
    3. Rocky Hills

Central Texas Great Rides

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike View Post
    Anyone that does not have the greenbelt as one of their top 3 rides in austin is either lying or a roadie. Take your pick, neither one is a good thing to be called.
    As much as this thread went to crap,I DID find this to be funny.
    Last edited by jason333; 12-11-2011 at 06:51 PM.

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    With the new trails built and being built in El Paso since this thread was started, only a moron would say our trails aren't the best in Texas. I've ridden Tyler. StumpjumperSteve and Your Honor need to get out more. I've ridden Big Bend Ranch ....a lot of it....Lajitas, Boerne, Waco, and Cedar Hill. Don't really see the need as I hear Austin is much like the trails around Boerne which I would rate as pretty fun, but not very long.

I can link up about 80 miles of singletrack/gnarly ass double track in El Paso without doubling up on more than about 4 miles and without riding more than about 2 miles of pavement.

I raced pro/semi-pro XC for a couple years and have a pretty extensive palmares. I wouldn't ride with Mountaingoat111. But then he's a crazy downhiller.
    Roll over the weak and bunny hop the dead!

Blog this...!

El Paso Puzzler 35 or 50 miler

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    I'm sure those trails are great and everything, but it's still in El Paso.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    Hmmm. If your dissing our city, that's fine. We've got fairly low unemployment and no "housing crisis" other than we have few rentals available, and the trails are in the middle of the city within riding distance for most residents.

If your dissing us because we are so far away, you should reevaluate that as well. Why would I want to drive 10 hours from El Paso to ride your trails when I can drive 4 to ride in Tucson or Albuquerque. Less than 7 hours to Phoenix. The Gila is only 3 hours away. We've got much easier access to even sicker stuff than you guys in central Texas will ever dream of having.

Sorry for you.

Blog this...!

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Yes, but I ride in NorCal most (if not all) of the year

I was just in El Paso a couple days ago. Juarez is still right there, it's still polluted looking, traffic still sucks, and there are still way too many Mexican license plates. I'm sure the riding is good, but not good enough to make me ever want to live/ride there. There are definitely lots of mountains and wide open areas to ride though. That's what most of TX lacks more than anything.

I think the problem is that my first ever trip to El Paso I got stuck behind some van in "sudden slam on the brakes" traffic, and it didn't have working brake lights.

Hopefully you guys are in the nicer parts of town, but the whole being located right next to Juarez scares the crap out of me.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

Need More Bikes
    no one else notice the booty pic? Very nice.

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    If you don't live in the nicer parts of town, good chance you wouldn't even be able to afford a tube...much less a bike. We are a typical border town. Lots of drug related stuff, but our crime rate is pretty low. We were rated in the top 5 for safest cities around 500,000 in size. Things have changed a little since that rating as we've had some economy related crime increases (more DWI's, break-ins, suicides, etc). Stay out of the bad 'hoods after dark and don't go to Mexico, find a decent job, and you can live like a king and ride year round.

If a cartel or rogue military were to try anything serious on our side, they might sweep through the barrios but they'd face some serious resistance from the 35,000 active duty military stationed here as well as the multitudes of law abiding gun owners like myself.

The army sent me here and at first I was pretty pissed. With 3 stars and stripes jerseys hanging in the trophy room, it will take some place pretty special to lure me away from here.

Blog this...!

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Do you guys have any dedicated trails or parks out there, or is it a lot just build your own trails on free land? Seems like to me there would be lots of wide open land/hills to build on.

Hopefully you guys don't get affected by the drug stuff like we have in NorCal. I was riding with a guy who built some of trails in one park by Santa Cruz and he said he came across a meth lab when building one trail.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    Pretty much the entire mtn range is state park. We got lucky with about 29 miles of rogue trails on city land that got passed into park hands. We've got a close relationship with the park and the trails we are building have purpose and connectivity. The dh guys were given a park but it was pretty tough and with a lack of interest you get a lack of caregivers.

The xc crew is growing and these days I pass lots of people I've never seen before.

All the meth labs are in Mexico. The stash houses are here and they get busted on what seems like a daily basis. We've got the desert to ourselves for the most part.

Blog this...!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Fastmtnbiker, how far do you have to go before you see trees.....not the smokeable kind? I find it hard for you to hold much credibility when it sounds like you haven't seen what we have in the Austin/Central TX area. 30+ intermediate to advanced miles in the Greenbelt (5 min from downtown), ledge filled tech at Emma Long (15 min from downtown), flowy/spinny Walnut Creek, Pace Bend...now w/ wood features, RPR in Burnet (XC/Super D/Pump Track/DH....soon). Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be closer to Alb/Santa Fe, and I can't wait to ride in El Paso, but there's no amount of money you could pay me to live there.....or convince me it is a better "riding" city.

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    Living here requires patience and a desire to not think that the world revolves around Austin. I grew up staring at trees. They prevent you from seeing the other guy a couple miles down the trail. After living in Austin for a while, I probably wouldn't have any money to give you to live in El Paso. Here I'm on one income, own a modest home in a neighborhood where my RV doesn't get broken into or tagged and I can leave my garage door open and come back from a weekend trip and my neighbor has closed it for me, and I'm able to save for my retirement and my kid's college. And since I'm a high school teacher, I work 180 days of the year. When it gets hot I can escape and spend my time riding real trails in Colorado...which are covered in snow right now.

Blog this...!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I was just about to defend you and your city under the guise of "everywhere is good to ride, don't diss on other cities." And I have never been to el paso.

Then you take a shot at Austin.

You can find reasonable places to live here, not everyone is a millionaire.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Having lived in Austin for four years recently and witnessing as well living and participating in the vast bike culture and community there I have to agree with Kill Phil and Austin_Bike. Austin is the outdoorsman mecca of Texas, there may not be snow and mountains, but there is everything else and it's all accessible within a 20 square mile radius of downtown. It clearly has the best network and diversity of quality trails in Texas. Dallas comes second even with its tame trails simply because of the awesome efforts of DORBA and its volunteers.

Now that I live in Dallas there isn't a day that goes by that I don't miss living there dearly. Yea, it may have the highest cost of living and some of the cultural and political environments might weird some out, but that's what makes the city so great. Only real draw back that I can see to Austin is that it is far beyond its infrastructure and people are still moving there in droves.
    Where else in Texas can you kayak, run, fish, mountain bike, see free concerts, have your dog off leash, bathe and swim in spring fed waters all for the low price of free? And when you are done playing you can then visit more bars per capita than any city in the U.S. and all of this is within two miles of the down town business district! Lets not forget the fact that it is the Live Music Capital of the WORLD too!

You have to admit, Austin is pretty awesome.

Tejas

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Don't forget to mention the topless factor.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kill phil View Post
    Don't forget to mention the topless factor.
    ...or Lake Travis when it has water in it. I love Austin, we primarily go there to take our powerboat to Lake Travis and stay with friends that have a house there. We occassionally visit downtown for my girlfriend's work related activities. We were just there last week and I was able to ride Barton Creek Greenbelt for the first time and had a blast. We don't have any rocky tech sections like that here in Houston so it was a nice change up. We also ride Lake Bryan so we can take our other boat , go wakeboard, camp, hit the restaurant/bar at the boat ramp and just get a really fun filled weekend in. Jack Brooks Park near Galveston is a lot of fun too, lots of cool man made obstacles and rooty uphills and descents.

Question for you Austin guys...what kind of tires are you guys using for the rocks. I had no problems with my tubeless 29 x 2.4 Racing Ralphs but I was kind of paranoid the whole ride that I was going to tear the sidewalls since they're so thin. Just wondering what the locals are using?

Austin_Bike,
    I'm assuming you're the one that does the write-ups on AustinBike.com. I'd like to thank you for your informative site, maps, etc. With the help of your site, I made the decision (lots of choices) of where to go ride while we were downtown and the maps got me right to the trail head at Mopac/360. I couldn't believe it was less than 4 miles from the hotel where we were staying. Great job on the site!

Random pic from one of the ridgelines when I started exploring off of the main trail at Barton Creek.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by CLMcLovin; 12-15-2011 at 10:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The Greenbelt is an excellent resource for mountain biking, rock climbing, and when it rains a lot, white water kayaking.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm riding a 26er (Giant Reign) w/ Specialized Eskar GRID 2.3 rear and Purgatory GRID 2.4 front. Both are UST's for thicker sidewalls. Other popular tires for ATX are Kenda Nevegals, Maxxis Minions, some are even running small block 8's as rear tires. Not sure about the 9er crowd....I tend to avoid them. Glad you enjoyed the Greenbelt!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kill phil View Post
    I'm riding a 26er (Giant Reign) w/ Specialized Eskar GRID 2.3 rear and Purgatory GRID 2.4 front. Both are UST's for thicker sidewalls. Other popular tires for ATX are Kenda Nevegals, Maxxis Minions, some are even running small block 8's as rear tires. Not sure about the 9er crowd....I tend to avoid them. Glad you enjoyed the Greenbelt!
    I like big tires for the techy chunk around here too...2.4 Schwalbe Big Betty F and 2.4 Conty Trail King rear. I do elect the thicker casing when available.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I ran a mixture of different things but Minions are great, WTB Weirwolf, Conti Mountain/Trail King, and I love the Small Block Eight on the rear for a faster roller.
    Last edited by TejasMTB; 12-15-2011 at 02:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks guys, I'm going to see what I can find some deals on and try a couple of different tires. I hadn't really looked at the Minions until y'all recommended them. I had also thought about the Nevegals because I know they're pretty beefy, just wasn't sure if the big nobby's were great traction on rocks. I have a SB8 in the garage, haven't tried it yet but it sounds like I should. Wish they made it in fatter size and I wish Schwalbe would make the Big Betty in a 29.. I am impressed with how the Racing Ralphs did on the rocks but still leary of the sidewalls. I have a couple sets of extra rims so I'm going to setup another set to try and head back to my buddy's house in Austin just before New Years. Going to try and hit Barton Creek again and then also hit Rocky Hill in Smithville (buddy has been there but I have not). Then maybe the Yellow Rose, lol! Well probably most definitely, the Yellow Rose!

Sorry for the hijack...let's get back on topic. I haven't been to as many places as most of y'all but so far some of my favorites are Jack Brooks Park, Barton Creek, Lake Bryan, and Cypresswood Improper (only because I can get there from my house and could probably ride it with my eyes closed).

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CLMcLovin View Post
    . I have a SB8 in the garage, haven't tried it yet but it sounds like I should. Wish they made it in fatter size and I wish Schwalbe would make the Big Betty in a 29.
    They make the SB8 in a 2.35, I have three of them in the garage.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TejasMTB View Post
    They make the SB8 in a 2.35, I have three of them in the garage.
    26" or 29"? I'd be all over a 29 x 2.35 SB8 for the rear tire. The one I have is 29 x 2.1.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    In a 26" wheel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CLMcLovin View Post
    ...or Lake Travis when it has water in it. I love Austin, we primarily go there to take our powerboat to Lake Travis and stay with friends that have a house there. We occassionally visit downtown for my girlfriend's work related activities. We were just there last week and I was able to ride Barton Creek Greenbelt for the first time and had a blast. We don't have any rocky tech sections like that here in Houston so it was a nice change up. We also ride Lake Bryan so we can take our other boat , go wakeboard, camp, hit the restaurant/bar at the boat ramp and just get a really fun filled weekend in. Jack Brooks Park near Galveston is a lot of fun too, lots of cool man made obstacles and rooty uphills and descents.

Question for you Austin guys...what kind of tires are you guys using for the rocks. I had no problems with my tubeless 29 x 2.4 Racing Ralphs but I was kind of paranoid the whole ride that I was going to tear the sidewalls since they're so thin. Just wondering what the locals are using?

Austin_Bike,
    I'm assuming you're the one that does the write-ups on AustinBike.com. I'd like to thank you for your informative site, maps, etc. With the help of your site, I made the decision (lots of choices) of where to go ride while we were downtown and the maps got me right to the trail head at Mopac/360. I couldn't believe it was less than 4 miles from the hotel where we were staying. Great job on the site!

Random pic from one of the ridgelines when I started exploring off of the main trail at Barton Creek.
    Thanks, I will let senior management back at the worldwide HQ know about your comments

As for tires, I like a nevegal on the front and a small block 8 on the back. Both DTC, both 2.35". The nevegal digs in and holds on turns, grabs in rock gardens. The SB8 grips like crazy for power.

The only down side is the SB8 is slippery when wet. But other than the past few weeks, this is rarely a problem in austin.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fastmtnbiker33w View Post
    Living here requires patience and a desire to not think that the world revolves around Austin. I grew up staring at trees. They prevent you from seeing the other guy a couple miles down the trail. After living in Austin for a while, I probably wouldn't have any money to give you to live in El Paso. Here I'm on one income, own a modest home in a neighborhood where my RV doesn't get broken into or tagged and I can leave my garage door open and come back from a weekend trip and my neighbor has closed it for me, and I'm able to save for my retirement and my kid's college. And since I'm a high school teacher, I work 180 days of the year. When it gets hot I can escape and spend my time riding real trails in Colorado...which are covered in snow right now.
    Are you serious? You live 10 feet off the border of Mexico. Don't try to make it sound like it's safe and there's no crime there. My ex's family lives there and I've visited more times than I've wanted. It certainly isn't the Utopia your describing. I'd go into more detail, but I'd rather not offend you further than I probably already have.
    This happened in El Paso: http://forums.mtbr.com/texas/man-arr...le-754397.html

Franklin Mtn's is a nice park, but I wouldn't drive 550 miles to border territory for it.
    Last edited by TXDesertRacer; 12-21-2011 at 11:27 AM.

mtbr member
    kil_phil > not sure who is smoking what, but BCGB is only 30+ miles if you go back and forth a few times or hit up the bandit trails ...neither of which counts.

TXDesertRacer > bike thefts happen everywhere...I don't think he was eluding to it being Utopia. Besides, Utopia's just west of SA, between Garner State Park and Hill Country SNA. As far as visiting more than you wanted, are you sure that wasn't due to it being the ex-in-laws?

I won't sit here and argue for or against which city is better to live in, I'll leave that to the residents; but as far as trails are concerned, there is no doubt that Austin bests El Paso when it comes to variety. However, although variety is the spice of life, Austin (or it's surrounding areas since some feel it necessary to include trails well outside the city limits) has nothing on El Paso when it comes to trail distances, wide open scenic views, access to epic rides, and actual mountains.

Austin's greatest angle in all this as far as riding in Texas is concerned? It's central location.

TejasMTB > That's VERY arguable re: Dallas taking second, especially if we stick to within the city limits
    Pedigre

Wrench
    More bikes are stolen in Austin than in El Paso per capita.

Also, El Paso is great. Simply great. Met my girlfriend out there who's a skier. We ride out in those trails a bunch. I've ridden a lot of places in Texas. Austin is a great place, since it's very central. It also has great trails.

And, for the record, I'll be the first to say that I'm not the best rider out there. Not by a long shot. Pedigree knows that (He was at my first race, actually.).

But I also know that the more people try to talk themselves up on the internet don't deserve much credit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I am the worst racer in austin. Probably at the bottom of the pack in riders across the state.

But I love austin and our trails.

I am guessing that more bikes are stolen in austin due the fact that it is a college town.

Wrench
    I am guessing that more bikes are stolen in austin due the fact that it is a college town.
    So is El Paso

I'd live in either El Paso or Austin. I'm currently in College Station, so riding is fairly slim.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I would have to agree and the rash of thefts by the notorious "bike coach/shop employee-rat" back in 2007-2009 didn't help that quota any either.

And yes, El Paso is a city with a sizable college in it, but it is no where near the size of UT and UTEP is more of a commuter school with far less on campus living students who ride bikes to and from classes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    To All,
    I've never ridden YOUR trails but I'll still say that based on where they're at, there is no way that they're as good as MY trails. Pretty much your stuff sucks... and so does your god-forsaken town. Oh, sure, you're proud of it, but you live in that POS dump.

regards, Rider from that other part of the state

mtbr member
    This is how any and all "top whatever" threads always end. I do want to ride in El Paso though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pulpwoody View Post
    This is how any and all "top whatever" threads always end. I do want to ride in El Paso though.
    I'm intrigued as well, even though I probably won't survive without getting shanked, robbed, raped or picked up by border patrol. ;-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    In my experience the best trails are the ones that you know intimately, you can go faster, challenge your previous time, show off your skill to the newbies.

Having said that, I lived in north Texas and rode most everything that DORBA has to offer. My faves are Dino Valley, Cleburne SP, St. Jo (RIP), and Sansom.

I have a good friend that lives in Austin. The trails in Austin/SA are better than North Texas over all. Longer and more variety.

I lived in Northern NJ for a while and the trails there are rocky, roots and usually wet. Very tech and challenging. Still fun.

Now I live in EP. The riding he is great. The greatest thing about EP is it's proximity to other epic riding. Cloudcroft is about an hour and a half away. Las Cruces has some great riding.
    When the Narcos stop killing people, Copper Canyon is 8hrs away.

EP isn't for everyone, especially if your single. Despite what the media says EP is the safest large city in the country. Violent crime is much lower than anywhere else in TX. Don't knock it unless you've lived in EP. Visiting doesn't count. I love visiting NY but living there sucks balls.

mtbr member
    Well, my grandma lives out there, so next time, I just might get a bike. I'll give you a holler if I ever make it out there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I think we can all agree that Houston sucks, except for making a living.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Safest cities in U.S. with populations over 500,000
    El Paso #3
    Austin #5
    morganquitno.com/cit07pop.htm

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    Maybe we should start an El Paso vs. Austin thread. LOL.

Beloved El Paso native Esme Barrera was recently murdered in Austin.

Austin definitely has a "scene". Music, outdoors, style, college....whatever. I've lived in a city that had that x10....Salt Lake City. It started to grate on me. The cost of living killed me. I'm sure I could find a job in Austin that pays about the same as what I get paid here....maybe even a bit higher. I'm 100% confident there is no way ever that I could find a house like mine in a neighborhood like mine for the price I paid in Austin. And since Austin has a Whole Paycheck, I know I'd be broke all the time.

One day I'll stop by and ride all the trails in Austin.....could I do them all in one day? Or would I spend most of the time linking them up via paved roads?

As one of the MTB leaders in El Paso, I can tell you that we have just begun to put our trail system together. I'd say we're not even half way there yet. When we finish, we'll be IMBA ride center worthy. We'll have to increase our Search and Rescue team's abilities 10 fold. It's going to be amazing. It won't happen tomorrow. It probably won't happen by 2020. It most likely will never see an end as we have so much untouched terrain it's mind boggling.

Blog this...!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Maybe we should start an El Paso vs. Austin thread. LOL.

Beloved El Paso native Esme Barrera was recently murdered in Austin.

Austin definitely has a "scene". Music, outdoors, style, college....whatever. I've lived in a city that had that x10....Salt Lake City. It started to grate on me. The cost of living killed me. I'm sure I could find a job in Austin that pays about the same as what I get paid here....maybe even a bit higher. I'm 100% confident there is no way ever that I could find a house like mine in a neighborhood like mine for the price I paid in Austin. And since Austin has a Whole Paycheck, I know I'd be broke all the time.

One day I'll stop by and ride all the trails in Austin.....could I do them all in one day? Or would I spend most of the time linking them up via paved roads?

As one of the MTB leaders in El Paso, I can tell you that we have just begun to put our trail system together. I'd say we're not even half way there yet. When we finish, we'll be IMBA ride center worthy. We'll have to increase our Search and Rescue team's abilities 10 fold. It's going to be amazing. It won't happen tomorrow. It probably won't happen by 2020. It most likely will never see an end as we have so much untouched terrain it's mind boggling.
    I resisted the urge in the other threads, but once you put the random death of someone on Austin's mountain-bike community's shoulders, you have just become too annoying to not say:

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
    Mark Twain

RIP, Esme - she was a kind person whose life was cut short, and it has nothing to do with El Paso or Austin, just wrong place at the wrong time.

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    Did I put that on the shoulders of Austin MTB'rs? Where did I say that?

Someone else on this thread mentioned the FEAR of getting shanked, robbed, and raped here in El Paso. Was he putting that on the shoulders of El Paso MTB'rs? I don't think so. Give me freakin' break. I just find Esme's murder kind of ironic in regards to much of this thread.

Both cities have some very special things going for them. Ours is our mountain biking!

Blog this...!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Did I put that on the shoulders of Austin MTB'rs? Where did I say that?

Someone else on this thread mentioned the FEAR of getting shanked, robbed, and raped here in El Paso. Was he putting that on the shoulders of El Paso MTB'rs? I don't think so. Give me freakin' break. I just find Esme's murder kind of ironic in regards to much of this thread.

Both cities have some very special things going for them. Ours is our mountain biking!
    Well, in addressing a mtb community, you only get them as an audience. Who do you think is listening here?

Good luck with life and justifying your existence, city of choice, etc etc, hope to never see you on the trails.

Oh, did you know Esme? Or are you just making an example of her?

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    Well, in addressing a mtb community, you only get them as an audience. Who do you think is listening here?

Good luck with life and justifying your existence, city of choice, etc etc, hope to never see you on the trails.

Oh, did you know Esme? Or are you just making an example of her?
    I didn't know Esme, but some of my friends knew her. And at our last club meeting the bar was packed with people who where having a memorial for her. Odd timing on that.

I've never tried to justify my existence, my choices, or anything like that. I have tried to defend a few of the hardworking individuals in this dusty border town who are working so hard to make it a great place for others. It is insulting to read some of the totally ignorant comments that have been posted about El Paso.

El Paso sucks. Our trails suck. Our traffic sucks. The bike shops suck. ALL of the girls are fat and ugly. You WILL get stabbed, raped, and robbed if you come here. Don't come here.

I'm done.

Blog this...!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The gnarliest uphill climb i've seen so far in TX has to be at Big Cedar Wilderness in DFW. First time i rode it (when it was still new), I got lost and found this crazy uphill that looked like a drainage path off a mountain. I BARELY made it walking up it. I'm not talking about the main uphill near the end, this uphill was kind've by a road and there was a decently flat field behind it. Anyways, it had tiremarks on it so I'm guessing someone had beasted it, but I SEVERELY doubt it. I'm gonna take my phone with me sunday and ride it and hope I can get lost again and stumble upon it and provide you guys with video/pics.
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD Special Blend with dropper post, hope/stans wheelset and hope x2/m4 brakes

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by don guillermo View Post
    Safest cities in U.S. with populations over 500,000
    El Paso #3
    Austin #5
    morganquitno.com/cit07pop.htm
    http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2010..._2011-2011.pdf

F'n statisticians!
    I guess it depends on the list your looking at.

The Puzzler is this weekend. Good times.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita Handle View Post
    I'm intrigued as well, even though I probably won't survive without getting shanked, robbed, raped or picked up by border patrol. ;-)
    ;-) <--- International symbol for sarcasm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    1. Isle Du Bois
    2. Bar - H (although it's closed now)
    3. Palo Duro Canyon

Honorable Mention to Northshore

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Esme lived in the general vacinity of my neighborhood. I would not categorize it as "wrong place, wrong time" more of just "wrong time". It is an extremely safe neighborhood.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    More bikes stolen per capita prob = more bikes per capita.

Members who have read this thread: 0