Too much bike for dallas?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    73

    Too much bike for dallas?

    I am looking at an all mountain bike for trails and freeriding in the dallas area. Does anybody ride an all mountain around here, or does everyone ride an XC? If not tell me what your bike set up is. I dont know much so dont list all your parts, just travel and frame or something you might think would help. Thanks for any help.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    421
    Joe18,
    I am from the Dallas area originally and got into mountain biking the when I was away. I will be moving back soon. I am in the Austin area. I currently ride a Nomad. The riding hear is mostly technical and cross country but there are parts that have short fast downhill sections. Not that this helps you. In the Dallas area from what I have seen on the Dorba web site is mostly singletrack cross country trails. Lots of tree shaded trails and tones of switchbacks Bar H is a Place I will be checking out as it has some drops from what I have read. Probably a 4 to 5.5inch bike would be best for that area. I really like my bike so I am not changing to a lesser travel one. However, a bike like the Santa Cruz Blt, Trek Remedy or Turner 5 spot would be good for that area.
    Good luck,
    Mctigre

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,479
    Can't speak for Dallas, but it is less elevation change relative to austin riding. Here, 4" is fine; if you are getting old like me, then 5" is nice for a little more comfort and a little more travel for obstacles.

    There are some folks that ride 6"+ bikes down here, but they do some pretty crazy lines about 3% of the time and have to deal with the extra weight 97% of the time.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

    http://www.austinbike.com

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,220
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike
    Can't speak for Dallas, but it is less elevation change relative to austin riding. Here, 4" is fine; if you are getting old like me, then 5" is nice for a little more comfort and a little more travel for obstacles.

    There are some folks that ride 6"+ bikes down here, but they do some pretty crazy lines about 3% of the time and have to deal with the extra weight 97% of the time.
    I'd rather eat potatoes 97% of the time to have the chance to eat real wild salmon 3% of the time than eat fish sticks everyday.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bloodyknee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,067
    Joe - Dallas has about 14 area trails so there's probably more riding than you would think. Most of the trails are considered XC. There are lots of dips, roots, tight &twistys through trees and short climbs. 4 - 5 inches of travel is all you need. I mostly see XC or Trail bikes when I'm out.

    Post on the dorba.org website, it's the local forum.

  6. #6
    Axles of Evil
    Reputation: SS-Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    242
    Joe,
    An all mtn ride is a bit much around here. Most of folks around here run hardtails and shorter travel FS. That said, rigid singlespeeds are everywhere. My personal choice.

    If you've found a bike you dig...awesome. There is a lot more technical terrain to be enjoyed a few hours away in New Mexico.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sooner518's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,011
    Santa Cruz Superlight with a Fox F100. Id love to have a more travel bike but I really cant justify it if I just ride the DFW trails. I ocassionally see people riding longer travel bikes, but from what I've seen, you really dont need one and alot of people ride hardtails and full rigids.

    I moved here from Colorado and rode most trails there on my Superlight and my hardtail before that. Longer travel helps, but on the trail, you never really "need" 6 inches+ of travel unless youre hucking big drops and doing free ride crap. The longer travel just helps you from biting it when you make a mistake.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Zion Rasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,420
    Rode in central / south indiana where the trails are manicured on 5" and 4" FS and some people where riding 6" FS (I guess the Moab complex).

    When I moved to Dallas I was like WTF. Trails here in TX are a heck of a lot more "technical" than anything I rode in Indiana or Illinois for that matter. So, 6 months in DAllas, I went from 5 spot to Flux to hard tail 29er SS and as soon as I get my rigid fork then rigid. So yeah my skill are better because these "flat" Dallas trails that seem to kick every ones a$$es no matter where you are from.
    Try: Isle du Bois, Samson, Grapevine, Bar H, Waco - yeah, no drops, no stupid log pyramids, and no table tops, no 1hr. downhill but guarantied to kick your but any time.
    Sit and spin my ass...

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    91
    If you cannot get enough mileage in Dallas, you can drive to Hot Springs Arkansas and try Womble ( 39 miles out and back) considered by IMBA an epic trail.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SoCalGuero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    I'd rather eat potatoes 97% of the time to have the chance to eat real wild salmon 3% of the time than eat fish sticks everyday.
    Nicely stated....

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,479
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    I'd rather eat potatoes 97% of the time to have the chance to eat real wild salmon 3% of the time than eat fish sticks everyday.
    I'd rather eat my wild salmon with a fork 97% of the time then use a spoon so that I am ready for the 3% of the time that I have soup.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

    http://www.austinbike.com

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    73
    Funny, my parents are actually thinking of moving there. I hope so as iv'e heard that there is a lot steeper trails.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chasintrane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    490
    Too much bike depends on your riding style and how much weight you want to pedal around. I use to ride a 36lb. Turner RFX around the Dallas trails but I got tired of pedaling it. For the rough sections of NorthShore and a few other places, it was a blast. But most of the time it was more trouble than it was worth. I'm now on a rigid old-school steel hardtail and I'm really missing being able to carry speed on the rough descents - the few that there are. I'm currently building up a 5 Spot since that is just right for me. Real plush, great peddler, and not too heavy.

    You'll find a wide variety of people riding different bikes out here. I'd recommend something with around 5 inches of travel in the 30lb. range. Sounds like fun to me at least.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sooner518's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Zion Rasta
    Try: Isle du Bois, Samson, Grapevine, Bar H, Waco - yeah, no drops, no stupid log pyramids, and no table tops, no 1hr. downhill but guarantied to kick your but any time.
    theres a tabletop at Sansom.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    67
    No such thing as to much bike for Dallas. New and exciting things are starting in Dallas. there will not be hour long down hill runs but there are some down hill runs starting to be built in the DFW. DORBA is working with a couple of cities at this time to build skills parks. If I heard correct there is one down hill section already built but the location is still top secert (no I do know where it is) Oak Cliff Nature Preserve has a couple of section you can really play on. One area is called Jermeys playground and there is all sorts of stuff you can play on if you know where to look.

    There is a group call Rouge Posse that has been know to make a few runs to go hit some down hill runs up north. RP has been infulentail in getting more freeride and down hill type stuff here in the DFW area

    5-6 inches of travel will be more then enoght to get you int to or out of trouble in the DFW area.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    781
    we have several trails sprouting up around the DFW area that utilize the highest elevation in the metroplex. These trails are inside the city limits so very easy to get to. Some of the trails will get manmade stunts so your AM and DH bikes will be perfectly suited to the trail. These are relatively new spots so keep your eye on rogueposse.net, DORBA.org and FWMBA.org for Gateway pk, Prayer Mountain trails and possibly others...

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pedigre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    712
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy Jim
    ...keep your eye on rogueposse.net, DORBA.org and FWMBA.org...
    Pedigre


  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FalconAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    70
    There's some fun to be had in Dallas. Like CJ said, look out for Prayer Mountain in the next couple months. There are plans to build a bike park around Irving sometime this year.
    Trails like northshore, Johnson Branch, Sansom are all in the metroplex and justify using a FS.
    Oak Cliff Nature Reserve has a "play ground" area has some jumps and stuff.
    I think riding a FS bike is more fun, regardless of the trail. A freeride 7" plus bike is overkill most of the time, but I have a 140mm iron horse mkiii and it's a blast pretty much everywhere.

    If you like gravity style riding, now is a good time to be in DFW. It will obviously never be anything like New Mexico or Colorado or even Arkansas, but you'll have a reason to bring out the big bike and a place to ride it in between the road trips.

    see ya on the trails.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    421
    This gives me renewed hope. I live in Austin right now and will be moving to Dallas area soon. With everything else the Dallas area has to offer I was dreading loosing my time on some good trails. I love having trails 10 to 15 min. drive from my house. City Park, Walnut Creek, Twin Parks (when it was kept up), Smithville, mostly anything around the Austin area, oh and the Green Belt. Seeing some of these trails posted gives me a chance to keep up my skills and not half to go XC like I thought I might have to.
    Thanks,
    Mctigre

  20. #20

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3
    i tacoed my rear 29er wheel on a bike that is set up for xc. I wanted to ride with a group of my friends and my wheel wasnt done being rebuilt yet so i went and rented a specialized enduro just because it looked sexy with all of that suspension travel. i took it to cleburne state park where there are some pretty burly downhills, and hell like up hills. it was nice going down on that massive suspension bike but the other 70% of the time i was hating it. All im saying is if you are planning on doing any of xc racing or just keeping up with your friends who have xc bikes, dont get it, or atleast be prepared to be breathing in a lot of dust.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    421
    I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but I think what you ride is based on like, fitness level, and what type of trails you like to ride. I personally don't care for 4 inch travel bikes. Anything less than 30lbs riding trails does not give me confidence. This does not mean that I thinks this applies to other people. My neighbor who is 8 years older and rides a Ridegid single speed can outride me on the technical ups but definitely going down. He is in better aerobic shape than me but I can still hang with him.
    My Nomad is what I choose and I love it.
    Mctigre,

  22. #22
    Got Mojo?
    Reputation: BikeMojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,190
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike
    I'd rather eat my wild salmon with a fork 97% of the time then use a spoon so that I am ready for the 3% of the time that I have soup.

    And here I thought you liked pie.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    73
    Thanks guys, Could you shed some light on prayer mountain, I googled it and the first thing that came up was this thread.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pedigre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    712
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe18
    Thanks guys, Could you shed some light on prayer mountain, I googled it and the first thing that came up was this thread.
    Nothing public as far as I know, but what do I know?

    If, however, there are public trails there I'd like to know, too.
    Pedigre


  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    781

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.