Tires for Walnut Creek

Printable View

• 09-29-2010
    jamesrpurvis
    Tires for Walnut Creek
    Hey guys,

Did a little searching on here and found a few good recommendations for tires around austin, but alot of them seemed to be based on 26ers and full suspension bikes. I have just recently started riding the Walnut Creek trails on my Hardrock 29er, particularly the BMX loop. The stock 2.0 Fast Tracs are ok, wear really well, but wash out a bit. I was looking for a new front, maybe 2.2-2.35 and a SB8 in the rear or comparable, and wanted to hear some recent opinions for 29ers. The nevegals sound promising, but hearing that some have worn theirs out in 4-6 weeks is a little disheartening.

Thanks
  • 09-30-2010
    Philius413
    If you haven't already, post up this question on bikemojo.com in the Voodoo Austin forum as you will get tons of replies on the subject. Mojo is pretty muched based around the Austin area, so you'll get more hits.
  • 10-11-2010
    big_papa_nuts
    I'd definitely go with the SB8 in the rear, I have one, ride Walnut quite a bit and love it. I have not been as lucky finding a front tire I like though. I had a Nav in the front for a while, it works ok when we are getting regular rain (aka winter and spring) but is to aggressive any other time. I have been riding a Bontrager XR2 for a bit now and it seems to be working better then the Nav, especially with as dry as it's been but I still think there has to be something better.
  • 10-15-2010
    WereBot
    I've been trying to solve this dilemma myself. I posted over on Mojo and was told SB8 rear, Nev front. I am going to go check out the BSS Garage Sale at the South Lamar store tomorrow and see what they recommend/is for sale.

I will report back with my findings :thumbsup:
  • 10-17-2010
    WereBot
    Well, they were super busy with the garage sale so I wasn't able to flag anyone down to have an indepth convo about tires. But judging from the selection, Nevs and SB8's are really popular, they had them both in lots of sizes and they had been pretty well picked over so people were definitely buying them. They also had quite a few Maxxis Ignitors.

Prices were a bit steep for me right now but I think when I get the money I'm going to go with the SB8/Nev combo.
  • 10-17-2010
    MadDuc916
    Weirwolf 2.55
    I suggest the WTB Wierwolf 2.55, they are high volume which will be a plus if you are running full rigid. I have been running the tire on the front for several months on ridgid SS and I love it. It have enough volume that when run at lower pressures it gives plenty of cushion. The knobs are short and plentyful and hold well when WC is dry and loose. The tire has held up well with reasonable wear. Cody at Hammerhead keeps the 29'er 2.55 in stock. Give it a try you won't be disappointed. Hope this helps.:thumbsup:
  • 10-18-2010
    WereBot
    The Wierwolf is also something I was considering (I also think it's cool that my last name is Were, pronounced like Wier haha). MadDuc, are you running those front and back or just on the front?
  • 10-18-2010
    MadDuc916
    Werebot,

I am just running it on the front. I am running an Igniter in the rear. Very happy with the Igniter as well. Been running it for about a year. Works great all around Austin WC, CP, PB, LGT and Muleshoe. Running the heavier LUST version but I have not had any sidewall tears since I switched. I had gone through 5-6 tires with sidewall tears before the switch. Hope this helps!
  • 10-18-2010
    WereBot
    That definitely helps! I will for sure consider that combo as well. Thanks Duc.
  • 10-26-2010
    hunrugger
    If you are going to buy tires from an LBS then Hammerhead is usually the place to get them. I don't recall anyone beating their prices on many things, especially tires (tubes, tires, chains). They usually have a decent stock on tires.

I second the Wierwolf 2.55 for a place like The Nut, but personally didn't like it for CP and the trails in the west hills.
  • 11-03-2010
    igotabike
    just in case anybody was wondering where the weirwolf name came from...
    check out "mark weir pumptrack" on youtube
  • 12-31-2010
    larlev
    Larsen rear, crossmark front
  • 12-31-2010
    cannonballtrail
    Geax AKA or Saguaro up front

WTB Nano or Saguaro rear
  • 01-02-2011
    ssm-gd3
    i'm running a 2.1 fire xc pro in the back and 2.35 panaracers in the front. i had 2.2 nevegals f/r and they were like rolling weights. good grip though. actually planning on heading out there tomorrow. just gotta clean out the car so i can fit my bike!
  • 01-02-2011
    larlev
    Could also go with proven originals.....Dart and smoke
  • 01-13-2011
    peterm5365
    Quote:

Originally Posted by larlev
    Could also go with proven originals.....Dart and smoke

I don't think they make those for 29ers.
  • 01-15-2011
    twanto
    Quote:

Originally Posted by larlev
    Larsen rear, crossmark front

I'm sure crossmark would be nice at WC, but any other place around Austin I don't know... for all the rocks around here it's nice to have something beefy in the front, but that's just me.
  • 01-15-2011
    larlev
    2.2 Crossmark...try it. I am running a 2.25 Ardent and Larsen TT rear right now and it is the combo I will be using for awhile. Really hooks up nice.
  • 01-16-2011
    motopail
    Got a set of Wolverines from HH... worked real well on the lose over hard at WC. Fast and large volume. But not so good on the rocks...sux on wet rocks.

left one on the back cuz it was fast..... still sux on wet rocks.