Tires in Texas- Mtbr.com

Thread: Tires in Texas

mtbr member

Tires in Texas

Howdy! I just bought a new bike and I am looking for tire suggestions based on Texas trails. The bike comes with 26x2.35 Kenda Nevegal wires weighing in at a whopping 1200 grams. I live in Houston, but would like a tire that can handle anything in this great state. I have always been a Kenda fan, had them on my old bike. I am looking at some Kenda Nevegal 26x2.10 folding DTC or STICK-Es which weigh closer to 600 grams. Any suggestions on a do-it-all tire to match my do-it-all bike....Santa Cruz Heckler. Thanks.

Pedaler of dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by mudmunky
    Howdy! I just bought a new bike and I am looking for tire suggestions based on Texas trails. The bike comes with 26x2.35 Kenda Nevegal wires weighing in at a whopping 1200 grams. I live in Houston, but would like a tire that can handle anything in this great state. I have always been a Kenda fan, had them on my old bike. I am looking at some Kenda Nevegal 26x2.10 folding DTC or STICK-Es which weigh closer to 600 grams. Any suggestions on a do-it-all tire to match my do-it-all bike....Santa Cruz Heckler. Thanks.
    Texas is a big arse place to attempt to find a do it all tyre. I'm in Houston and I've not found one tyre yet that can do it all. For Houston trails, Memorial or Anthills I mostly ride a wide semi-slick like a Maxxis High Roller SS, for Huntsville with it's sandy trails something wide and soft, like a 2.5 Nevegal. And for Rocky Hill and trails in Austin, something that'll ride well on rocky trails that like to ripe sidewalls, like a Continental Rubber Queen.

For this weekend, after the rain I dug out an old set of Tioga mud spikes to get some traction while out on the trails.
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Guys here in Austin run Nevegals, Ignitors, High Rollers, and for the faster trails Small Block Eight's and CrossMark's seem to be the favorite. I like the Continental Mountain King's and I think they hold up well. I've heard guys at the lbs complain about the Kenda tire compound and how often they cut/shred off knobs while on the rocks!

I think the Ignitor would be a good all-around tire for Texas, not too heavy, not too slow, not overly built tread design, but then again it does have more bite then the CrossMark or Small Block 8.

Dec 2007
    I used to ride Igniters and really liked them. I recently switched to Maxxis Ardents and love them...excellent all around tire. They are great on loose over hard, rocks, sand and pretty good in mud...they corner well too. Looks like they will wear as well as the Igniters. I ride mostly on forrested trails but I have riden them in the Big Bend Area as well...great in both places.

Mikey

Chilling out
    you might try the folding nevegal dtc 2.35, good all arounder, is under 1kg for sure but I don't remember how far.

the sb8 2.35's do surprisingly well as an all around tire, but not in the wet.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I've been running Nevegal Stick-E 2.1 for the past few years. Haven't found a good reason to change yet--

--though since I'm not really racing much at all, I have avoided all wet trail conditions.

mtbr member
    Have to agree on the SB8s, been running the 2.35 out back for a while and I am surprisingly very please with it. I reluctantly gave it a try to and really like it. It especially hooks up well on the rocky stuff, but does well in everything...except the wet - cakes in the dirt and slips horribly on the rocks.

I am anti-Specialized, but hear great things about them and the are know for being light weight.

SS XC Junkie
    I'm on a 29 SS but find that WTB Exiwolf work VERY well around the various Houston trails. Hardpack, road, roots, clay, sand, gravel (haven't experienced mud) but that tread pattern works very well even at 20psi.

mtbr member
    I'm also in Houston, my current favorite is the Maxxis 2.4 Advantage . Its not the lightest (I think around 900 grams), but I find it to have a good mix of grip and still rolls well. Also a true 2.4. Probably overkill for Houston, but so is my bike. (Knolly Delirium T)

Have also spent a lot of time on the 2.1, 2.35, & 2.5 Nevegal and 2.1 & 2.3 Block 8's. . All folding beads. The Nevegals are a good all around tire, albeit a little slow (but that's the price for the meaty grip). Also used 2.4 Schwalbe Big Betty, WTB Dissent, and a few others.

On my XCish bike (still a 5" travel bike) I run a 2.1 Block 8 on the rear and 2.1 Nevegal up front. (will switch to a 2.35 Nevegal depending on fork and what I am doing with the bike) Great combo...the Block 8 rolls fast and the Nevegal keeps the front from washing out as fast as the Block 8 can. Only down side is the block 8 gets loose faster than other tires in mud and wet conditions. Its great on the rear but can be a little sketchy on the front.

If you like the Nevegal, I would say get the folding bead and run a 2.1 rear and either 2.1 or 2.35 on the front.

Mar 2009

Nevegal and small blocks

I ride the anthills a lot and i use small block 8's in the rear and nevegal's up front..i love the setup!

mtbr member
    I'm in Austin, and love the Nevegals. SM8s and Ignitors also have worked well in the past.

Wanderer
    Another Anthills rider here and I use an Ignitor up front with a SB8 in the back. It works well but I did just pick up a Crossmark to try out in the back as I hear they hook up a bit better than the SB8.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Rock'n the 2.35 Neve in the back and 2.5 High Roller in front on the rocks and rough stuff of Dinosaur Valley and Cleburne State Park North Texas.

Go SOLAR...
    Smoke and Dart here in Austin for me....have raced them even with great results. If you don't like the Dart....definetly give the smoke a chance, climbs like no other on the loose rocky stuff around here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by larlev
    Smoke and Dart here in Austin for me....have raced them even with great results. If you don't like the Dart....definetly give the smoke a chance, climbs like no other on the loose rocky stuff around here.
    Does the Smoke only come in the 2.1 variety?
    Pedigre

Go SOLAR...
    Yep that's it.....

mtbr member

Thank you

Thank you for all the great feedback guys. After riding yesterday, I realized that the only place I notice the weight is on the 3/4 mile ride to the trail head. Once on the trail, I completely forget about how heavy they are. I will probably swap out the rear, as the bike feels a little back heavy.

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    Another vote from Austin....

I dropped the StickE tire and went DTC on my nevegals and the weight drop was totally noticeable. (all rotating weight) definitely made climbing easier.

Nevegals take Stans well and that too helped shed some rotating weight.

I do have some knob shedding on my neve's, but I'm a big guy (6'6", 270lbs) and run a higher PSI.

Trying WTB Stouts on my 29er. Didn't care much for Rampages.

Don't forget Slimes or Stans if you go west to places like Palo Duro or thereabouts. Changed too many a tire (daily) on trips there not to run slime or stans. Don't repeat my mistake. I'm not

Members who have read this thread: 0