Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Tire preference for our type of trails

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  gixxerjasen 
#1 ·
So far from what I've seen it seems most of our trails consist of loose dirt/sand on hard packed trails. This makes things a tad hairy at times. Today I had my first big wipeout coming fast down a "hill" at Erwin Park. I'd lost traction earlier in the woods round a corner as well but managed to keep that one upright.

Just wondering what you guys like for our trails since it seems we don't have a lot of rocks or mud or good dirt. Just this sandy stuff on hard packed trails.

#2 ·
You will get a very wide range of answers for this so I will just speak from experience. I currently run a 2.0 S-works Fast Trak front and a 2.0 TL Python on the rear and will run this combination for some time.

Try the dorba.org site as well. They have some very knowledgable riders there.

#4 ·
I'll try to save you some digging. Pythons are very popular as are Verticals and Explorers if you prefer a more knobby tire. I have a number of friends that are really liking the Crossmarks and Larsen TT's as well. The knobby tires seem to have been more popular up until lately since it hasn't hardly rained in the past year.

Let me know next time your planning to ride Erwin. I live close to there.

#5 ·
jrabenaldt said:
I have a number of friends that are really liking the Crossmarks and Larsen TT's as well. The knobby tires seem to have been more popular up until lately since it hasn't hardly rained in the past year.
yup. I like the TT's. I have yet to try the CrossMarks....yet.

Everywhere from -H to the backtrails in Austin to the Hill Country... Good tires.

Austin folk swear by Kenda Bluegrooves. Athough they have been known to shed sidewall knobs easily.

#6 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I was looking at an ad for the Crossmarks and everything it says they are designed for says it'll do well on our terrain. However what an advertisement says and how it performs in real life are sometimes two different things. I may give them a go here soon.

#7 ·
other things to consider....

How much you weight? XC? aggressive? Lot of people on the CM... fair volume and traction, also good rolling resistance.
I ride Vertical Pro (2,3 more like 2,2) they are knoby and hold very well. They pack a lot but since we are not allowed to ride wet trails here(not like in South America;) ), no problem
Also if you plan to ride something a little more rocky/Tech like Northshore, the extra grip gives you confidence:thumbsup:

#8 ·
I weigh in at about 170lbs. I'm far from aggressive as I'm a mtb noob. Basically just hitting the local trails trying to improve my skills. I do enjoy a good fast winding downhill run, which is where I lost my traction and went down and started considering new tires.

I should probably go out to the garage and look at what tires I'm using and post them up so you guys can offer suggestions based on what I'm riding now.

#9 ·
remember one thing

MTB it's not like riding your Gixxer. Expect that your tires break loose. We are talking about dirt, so the surface is not even and the grip is not even. The key is to experiment with different tires (many people use different tires for the different conditions, I stick with what it useful >75% of my time so I'm not changing thing around), different pressures (THE most important aspect I think, since the same tire as you may notice on your Gixxer with different pressures allow you to turn better or give you more grip) and different positions in the bike so you get the better traction in the needed moment
It's a long way my friend!!!!

Important things to consider are in my opinion:

-If you want a knobby tire or more XC oriented, depending on the riding conditions
-pressure (play with the pressure to see which is the lowest you can go without pinch flatting)

Also remember that the proper use of brakes is very important in braking (learn to modulate the brakes and don't lock them, front Vs rear, etc)

Good luck:thumbsup:

#10 ·
So.....your saying I can't ride it like I ride this...

But I should ride it like I ride this...

I guess I'll have to play with tire pressure a bit. I've been running it higher since most is hard packed stuff for the low rolling resistance, but I'll have to toy around. Need to lose these frustrating presta valves though, I can't stand them.

#11 ·
could be like this

Pressures are very important. If you have a very narrow tire you have to pump it with very high pressures to not pinchflat and the ride is to harsh and no traction.... but
If you pay the extra weight (not that much if you are not a weigh w.) you can ride lower pressures, have beter traction and don't pinchflat... or.. go UST:skep:

Attachments

#12 ·
Ok, here's what I'm running now. It's what the previous owner had on the bike when I bought it.

Front: Continental Explorer Protection 26x2.1
Rear: Specialized X-Works 26x2

For the trails how should the air pressure be? Please give me in two measurements.
1. PSI, so when I switch over to schrader valves I can check them, and
2. Finger Squish measurement. Not very accurate but all I have to check it with for now.

I've basically been running them just barely hard using the finger squish method with the bike unloaded (me not on it)

Thanks for the help guys.

And since we are having fun with pictures....

Oh yea, Rossi rules, and Yates is a pud.

#13 ·
difficult but her we go

First: you can buy a little adapter to measure the pressure with presta valve. It's a little cap that attach to the valve and let you use your pressure gauge.

Try around 40 psi to start and see if you don't pinchflat and like the traction

Finger: tire is hard but you can depress the tire a little bit (1/4 of inch?)

#14 ·
I ride the Crossmarks on one bike and Mythos on the other. It took me a while to get use to the decreased traction on the Crossmarks. They are fine for dry hardpack, but I tend to feel a little slide if it is remotely damp or loose terrain. I agree that the reduced rolling resistance is noticed on the Crossmark, but I have never been unhappy with the slightly beefier knobs on the Mythos. You wont' be unhappy with the Crossmark, but it will take you a little while to get used to them, especially if you are coming from an agressive tread pattern.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.