Tips on buying a used Fuel Ex 8- Mtbr.com
    CXK
    mtbr member
    Feb 2016

Tips on buying a used Fuel Ex 8

I've been saving for a 2017 Trek Fuel Ex 8 29er for the last few months and just happened to find a used one in my size for $600 off retail. It says it wasn't not used much and has no scratches. While I want the bike sooner rather than later and would love to avoid the paying tax I'm a little leery of buying used. The bike is about 200 miles from me also so I can't just take a quick look. Its set up tubeless which i have no experience with so far. This would be my first nice bike so I'm not sure if it would be better to just buy new so I can rely on my LBS to help out with any issues I have early on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You can often negotiate with a trek manager for a discount of 15-18% for cash. Only a manager can reduce the price if he wants to. It may take you a few shops to find one who will work with you to get a deal done. And you get a warranty you don't get used.

CXK
    mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    You can often negotiate with a trek manager for a discount of 15-18% for cash. Only a manager can reduce the price if he wants to. It may take you a few shops to find one who will work with you to get a deal done. And you get a warranty you don't get used.
    So you don't get a warranty when buying used? I thought I'd heard that before but obviously forgot. I'm glad I asked. I guess I'll keep saving and delay gratification haha. I'm also hoping to get a last years model discount by the time I'm ready to buy. I really like the color so I hope I can grab one before they're gone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CXK View Post
    So you don't get a warranty when buying used? I thought I'd heard that before but obviously forgot. I'm glad I asked. I guess I'll keep saving and delay gratification haha. I'm also hoping to get a last years model discount by the time I'm ready to buy. I really like the color so I hope I can grab one before they're gone.
    The 30-35% discount comes before or around Labor Day and includes bikes at the Trek warehouse. So keep an eye on availability in August. Remember the manager/owner controls whether he wants to give as much discount as Trek allows at any time. That's why you may need to contact several shop managers. Cash and saying you'll be putting down a 60% no refund deposit are standard negotiating positions. Also say you want regular shipping with a standard order.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I would not worry about the tubeless setup. My 2016 EX8 had rim strips pre installed so it was just a matter of pulling the tubes out, installing the new valve stems and throwing some sealant in. The only tool you might need is a tire lever and the cost is like $20-30.